Quick Launch won't run! Change settings but they don't sti..

August 1, 2005 7:07:03 PM

Okay, I think all of this started after I downloaded some windows updates,
and it stopped making anything on my quick launch menu to work. So I deleted
most of them, but kept show desktop and outlook express. I fiddled with the
toolbar settings (address, links, windows media player etc.)

and now I've lost my quick launch option entirely! everytime I try to check
that toolbar, it closes the menu and nothing happens. How do I get quick
launch back?

IS THERE A WAY TO RESET MY ENTIRE COMPUTER BACK ONE DAY?
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 7:16:28 PM

Perhaps you have the malware named BlazeFind. If so, open Registry Editor
and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersi­on\Winlogon
In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.­exe,"

Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the
quotes. Also, change the path to userinit.exe appropriately, if Windows is
installed in a different drive.

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. The Quick Launch settings should
be retained now.

"kimbee" <kimbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay, I think all of this started after I downloaded some windows updates,
> and it stopped making anything on my quick launch menu to work. So I
> deleted
> most of them, but kept show desktop and outlook express. I fiddled with
> the
> toolbar settings (address, links, windows media player etc.)
>
> and now I've lost my quick launch option entirely! every time I try to
> check
> that toolbar, it closes the menu and nothing happens. How do I get quick
> launch back?
>
> IS THERE A WAY TO RESET MY ENTIRE COMPUTER BACK ONE DAY?
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 7:35:05 PM

Hi Michael,

Sorry, I'm not good at this. What is the Registry Editor?'

Also I did a search on quick launch problems and some stated a path of
c:/user name/application data/microsoft/internet explorer/quick launch.

I get as far as microsoft, but I don't have an IE folder there! Have I gone
and deleted something I shouldn't have?

"Michael T" wrote:

> Perhaps you have the malware named BlazeFind. If so, open Registry Editor
> and navigate to:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersi­on\Winlogon
> In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to
> "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.­exe,"
>
> Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the
> quotes. Also, change the path to userinit.exe appropriately, if Windows is
> installed in a different drive.
>
> Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. The Quick Launch settings should
> be retained now.
>

> "kimbee" <kimbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Okay, I think all of this started after I downloaded some windows updates,
> > and it stopped making anything on my quick launch menu to work. So I
> > deleted
> > most of them, but kept show desktop and outlook express. I fiddled with
> > the
> > toolbar settings (address, links, windows media player etc.)
> >
> > and now I've lost my quick launch option entirely! every time I try to
> > check
> > that toolbar, it closes the menu and nothing happens. How do I get quick
> > launch back?
> >
> > IS THERE A WAY TO RESET MY ENTIRE COMPUTER BACK ONE DAY?

August 1, 2005 7:39:01 PM

"kimbee" <kimbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> IS THERE A WAY TO RESET MY ENTIRE COMPUTER BACK ONE DAY?

In a word NO.

What are you really trying to accomplish?

For example, if you want to change the date-stamp of a single file, or all
files in a folder, you can use a tool like Time Stamp 1.1 at
http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/timestamp/

This utility allows you to manually change the time stamp on a file, or
group of files. Normally the time stamp is updated each time the file is
written to. Accepts long filenames and wildcards, and can be set up so that
you can right click on files and "Send To" TimeStmp.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 7:46:51 PM

Have you tried this?
1) Right click the task bar and select Properties.
2) UNcheck "Lock the Taskbar"
3) Now rt. click again and select Properties
4) Check the item "Show Quick Launch"
5) Click OK
6) Reverse step 3 and Lock the Taskbar

No offense, or patronization intended, but if all else fails you may be in
over your head here.

Don't you have a computer savvy friend who would love some free pizza and
beer?

> Hi Michael,
>
> Sorry, I'm not good at this. What is the Registry Editor?'
>
> Also I did a search on quick launch problems and some stated a path of
> c:/user name/application data/microsoft/internet explorer/quick launch.
>
> I get as far as microsoft, but I don't have an IE folder there! Have I
> gone
> and deleted something I shouldn't have?

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 11:58:22 AM

No, my taskbar isn't locked, I can say with certainty. Of course I'm in over
my head, but I don't have anyone else to help me. My computer is totally
screwed up now since July 31.....I have completed all windows updates, used
Spybot & a microsoft spyware prog. (can't remember the name), run a Norton
scan this morning and nothing.

On top of this, some kind of spyware installed itself on my computer where
it places a toolbar in my browser, adds icons to my desktop and creates new
Favorites that I can't get rid of. I'm pretty frustrated as you can see.

"Michael T" wrote:

> "kimbee" <kimbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > IS THERE A WAY TO RESET MY ENTIRE COMPUTER BACK ONE DAY?
>
> In a word NO.
>
> What are you really trying to accomplish?
>
> For example, if you want to change the date-stamp of a single file, or all
> files in a folder, you can use a tool like Time Stamp 1.1 at
> http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/timestamp/
>
> This utility allows you to manually change the time stamp on a file, or
> group of files. Normally the time stamp is updated each time the file is
> written to. Accepts long filenames and wildcards, and can be set up so that
> you can right click on files and "Send To" TimeStmp.

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:04:04 PM

Of course I'm in over my head, that's why I am here, trying to get help.....

The taskbar definitely is unlocked; all other toolbars will work if I
activate them, but not Quick Launch.

NOW when I boot up, my computer has decided to make the "Language" toolbar a
permanent fixture on my taskbar, which I have to uncheck repeatedly.

I know I have some kind of spyware on my computer because there are new
annoying icons on my desktop, a new toolbar in my browser and new "Favorites"
that I cannot delete. I'm frustrated as you can see.

I have run Norton scans, Spybot, and a Microsoft Spyware prog. to no
success. I just wish my computer wasn't all dirtied up, and I have no idea
how to undo this short of wiping out everything all over again.

"Michael T" wrote:

> Have you tried this?
> 1) Right click the task bar and select Properties.
> 2) UNcheck "Lock the Taskbar"
> 3) Now rt. click again and select Properties
> 4) Check the item "Show Quick Launch"
> 5) Click OK
> 6) Reverse step 3 and Lock the Taskbar
>
> No offense, or patronization intended, but if all else fails you may be in
> over your head here.
>
> Don't you have a computer savvy friend who would love some free pizza and
> beer?
>

> "kimbee" <kimbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > Sorry, I'm not good at this. What is the Registry Editor?'
> >
> > Also I did a search on quick launch problems and some stated a path of
> > c:/user name/application data/microsoft/internet explorer/quick launch.
> >
> > I get as far as microsoft, but I don't have an IE folder there! Have I
> > gone
> > and deleted something I shouldn't have?

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:20:03 PM

> The taskbar definitely is unlocked; all other toolbars will work if I
> activate them, but not Quick Launch.

Take a look at this thread.
http://tinyurl.com/9u8sn
!