What's the best way to import folders (e-mail in Outlook Express) from one
machine to another ( not networked )? I have copied the whole Outlook
Express folder onto a CD from the old machine but am having difficulty in
importing sub-folders etc. to the new machine.

I have a series of additional folders under Local Folders on my old system
that I would like to transfer to my new system.

Cheers for help. Dave.

From Tom Koch @ http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

[[Importing from a CDRW or Zip disk
OE must have write-access to any *.dbx files you want to import. You must
therefore copy the files to your hard disk and then turn off the Read-Only
attribute. In Explorer, select all the files, then right-click on any one
and select Properties. You can then uncheck the Read-Only box. Or at a DOS
prompt, enter this:
attrib -r *.*]]
http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5

You may want to read the rest of the article.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:01B43147-E0BA-48D1-AF01-0E5B751152C0@microsoft.com,
David SaintLaurent <DavidSaintLaurent@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
pecked:
> What's the best way to import folders (e-mail in Outlook Express) from one
> machine to another ( not networked )? I have copied the whole Outlook
> Express folder onto a CD from the old machine but am having difficulty in
> importing sub-folders etc. to the new machine.
>
> I have a series of additional folders under Local Folders on my old system
> that I would like to transfer to my new system.
>
> Cheers for help. Dave.

Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx

HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp

List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
;304903]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx
>
> HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp
>
> List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
> the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
> ;304903]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903
>
> Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "David SaintLaurent" wrote:
>
> | What's the best way to import folders (e-mail in Outlook Express) from one
> | machine to another ( not networked )? I have copied the whole Outlook
> | Express folder onto a CD from the old machine but am having difficulty in
> | importing sub-folders etc. to the new machine.
> |
> | I have a series of additional folders under Local Folders on my old system
> | that I would like to transfer to my new system.
> |
> | Cheers for help. Dave.

Thanks for your swift reply. However, My old OS was Windows Me and my new
OS is XP and your info. is just for XP to XP. Now what do I do?

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> From Tom Koch @ http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/
>
> [[Importing from a CDRW or Zip disk
> OE must have write-access to any *.dbx files you want to import. You must
> therefore copy the files to your hard disk and then turn off the Read-Only
> attribute. In Explorer, select all the files, then right-click on any one
> and select Properties. You can then uncheck the Read-Only box. Or at a DOS
> prompt, enter this:
> attrib -r *.*]]
> http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
>
> You may want to read the rest of the article.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:01B43147-E0BA-48D1-AF01-0E5B751152C0@microsoft.com,
> David SaintLaurent <DavidSaintLaurent@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
> pecked:
> > What's the best way to import folders (e-mail in Outlook Express) from one
> > machine to another ( not networked )? I have copied the whole Outlook
> > Express folder onto a CD from the old machine but am having difficulty in
> > importing sub-folders etc. to the new machine.
> >
> > I have a series of additional folders under Local Folders on my old system
> > that I would like to transfer to my new system.
> >
> > Cheers for help. Dave.

Hello Wes.

Thanks for your help. However, I omitted to say that my old OS system is Me
and my new OS sytem is XP.

I'm stonewalling when trying to create a 'transfer' folder in the OE
program.

Any further help gratefully received!!!

Regards. David.

David,

I only quoted part of the page.

[[Make a temporary folder named C:\Mail, or C:\Temp\Mail, as long as the
last folder is named Mail. Copy the OE4 files (*.idx and *.mbx) into the
Mail folder. Open OE and click File| Import| Messages, select OE4 from the
list, then browse to the folder that contains the Mail folder, not the Mail
folder itself (browse to C:\ or to C:\Temp, not to C:\Mail or C:\Temp\Mail).
choose either From Identity (for importing from another Identity on the same
machine) or From Store root directory. You will then have the option to
import all mail folders or only those you select.]]
How do I import OE4 mail folders?
http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE4

How do I import OE5 and OE6 mail folders?
http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5

How ...
do I import OE4 mail folders?
do I import OE5 and OE6 mail folders?
do I import a single mail folder (*.dbx)?
http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/faqs/how.htm

Inside Outlook Express

In news:DDB9B200-12CF-411F-9769-D20C49275570@microsoft.com,

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> David,
>
> I only quoted part of the page.
>
> [[Make a temporary folder named C:\Mail, or C:\Temp\Mail, as long as the
> last folder is named Mail. Copy the OE4 files (*.idx and *.mbx) into the
> Mail folder. Open OE and click File| Import| Messages, select OE4 from the
> list, then browse to the folder that contains the Mail folder, not the Mail
> folder itself (browse to C:\ or to C:\Temp, not to C:\Mail or C:\Temp\Mail).
> choose either From Identity (for importing from another Identity on the same
> machine) or From Store root directory. You will then have the option to
> import all mail folders or only those you select.]]
> How do I import OE4 mail folders?
> http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE4
>
> How do I import OE5 and OE6 mail folders?
> http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
>
> How ...
> do I import OE4 mail folders?
> do I import OE5 and OE6 mail folders?
> do I import a single mail folder (*.dbx)?
> http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/faqs/how.htm
>
> Inside Outlook Express
> http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/
>
> You may want to read the rest of the article.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:DDB9B200-12CF-411F-9769-D20C49275570@microsoft.com,
> David SaintLaurent <DavidSaintLaurent@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
> pecked:
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> From Tom Koch @ http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/
> >>
> >> [[Importing from a CDRW or Zip disk
> >> OE must have write-access to any *.dbx files you want to import. You must
> >> therefore copy the files to your hard disk and then turn off the
> >> Read-Only attribute. In Explorer, select all the files, then right-click
> >> on any one and select Properties. You can then uncheck the Read-Only
> >> box. Or at a DOS prompt, enter this:
> >> attrib -r *.*]]
> >> http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
> >>
> >> You may want to read the rest of the article.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:01B43147-E0BA-48D1-AF01-0E5B751152C0@microsoft.com,
> >> David SaintLaurent <DavidSaintLaurent@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted
> >> and pecked:

> > Hello Wes.
> >
> > Thanks for your help. However, I omitted to say that my old OS system is
> > Me and my new OS sytem is XP.
> >
> > I'm stonewalling when trying to create a 'transfer' folder in the OE
> > program.
> >
> > Any further help gratefully received!!!
> >
> > Regards. David.

Hello Wes.

My system isn't showing "Local Settings" or "Application Data" when I double
click on 'My Computer' and then 'C' then 'Documents and settings'. In
Explorer, I also can't find the store directory to OE. This is really
weird!! On my Windows Me system I can 'open up' right down to the store
directories in Explorer, but this new systen with XP doesn't seem to do this!
What's going on?

Regards. David.

Hello David,

Oops.

%homepath%\Application Data and %homepath%\Local Settings are Hidden on XP.

To display Hidden files and folders...

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
Check:
? Display the contents of system folders
? Show hidden files and folders
UNCheck:
? Hide protected operating system files
Apply | OK

[[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
typical items.]]
-----

To find your OE Store folder...
Open OE | Tools | Options | Maintenance tab |
Store Folder button | Hit your Tab key until the path is highlighted |
Ctrl + C to copy | Click Cancel to close | Click Cancel again to close

Start | Run | Ctrl + V to paste the path in the box | Click OK

I can't remember who I got the Tab key trick from.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User