Words that sum todays RGVAC up

Status
Not open for further replies.

I started thinking after reading a post yesterday where some newbie is
worried that he may be over paying by purchasing a new switching power
supply from Arcadeshop for $25.

Then I remembered the Zinfer post the other day where he is wondering
where the lock hole goes in his Stargate back door. "Is it centered,
how far from the top, what type of bit, etc." Then I remembered what a
cheap SOB he is anyway and then realized that most of this group has
become like that now.

Of course, nobody will actually ever be as cheap as Zinfer or spend
five years trying to fix a Stargate like he has. But a good majority of
this group is coming close.

People respond to WTBs asking a lot of questions and for PICs that
never had any intention in buying the item in the first place.

People post WTBs and when you respond they ask a lot of questions, want
lots of PICs, tell you how interested they are, carry on the
negotiation for a while then never follow through, probably realizing
they didn't really want to buy anything anyway.

After a couple of emails back and forth with a buddy of mine today (who
I'll keep nameless) I realized it's just not on the newsgroup:

Me:

Well, I know the trying to sell on the newsgroup feeling. My last three
never made it deals:

1. I list a bulk buy of 8 games for $1200 or $200 each ( plain as day
in the post). A guy in Decatur wants 2 but needs them delivered. We
discuss it for a week and it's a deal with him including $75 extra for
delivery and gas. Just to make sure and at the last second I mention
that the total is $475 so we are in agreement before I leave. He says I
can't pay that, your games were listed at $150 each - that's what $1200
divided by 8 is. So no deal there.

2. A guy posts a WTB for a Journey upright. I mention I have one if he
is interested in having it shipped. After the usual many PICs and
emails he says that he will take it. But of course he comes back with
wanting to use an escrow service. I said no way so then he wants me to
list it on eBay for his safety. I agree since he is willing to Paypal
me the eBay fees ahead of time. Well, it's been over a month since this
started and he claims as of today his bank has not credited his Paypal
account yet. And of course he claims that he needs the game ASAP but
waits up to a week to answer emails.

3. Another guy posts a WTB for a Star Wars about the same time as the
Journey post was made. After many answered questions and many PICs this
guy is soooo interested in buying this game. He just needs to get a
weekend away to come and see it. Well, he just lives in Atlanta and
it's been well over a month since he's responded to emails.

Anyway, trying to sell on the NG is about a waste of time. Most
everybody reading it on the vid side anyway is about a cheap SOB. Heck,
one idiot posted yesterday wondering if anybody sold new switching
power supplies for less than $25.

His response with some parts X'd out to save identity:

I bet we could exchange stories about the SOB's on the newsgroups for
hours. I don't know why I post FS items there, just habit. I know if I
want to frustrate myself like yesterday I could just run around in
circles to save time.

Yes , still have the XXXXXX ( don't plan on selling but the guy
offered me $XXXX for it after he saw the pics. His price not mine ( did
I mention before he offered that much he tried to talk me down on the
XXXX to $XXXXX because he was tight on cash.)

I had a guy show up a month ago at the house on a XXXXX I had in the
paper for $XXXX. He offers 300 and told me he didn't know pins were so
high. I tell him it was listed in the paper what makes him think I
would take XXXX price I was asking. He then sticks around for over 2
hours playing other pins. I literally had to tell him to get out!

Rant is off now. I guess that I'll go see what WTBs I'm not interested
in and respond to them anyway asking for a lot of PICs.

Was I "worried" about paying too much... no

Was I CURIOUS if anyone in the group knew of a cheaper place to get one...
YES

I didnt know that being frugal was frowned upon in RGVAC/RGVAM

oh well... guess I better go back to mowing lawns and counting my pennies in
hopes of being able to afford that switching power supply...

<AubHtr@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> want to frustrate myself like yesterday I could just run around in
> circles to save time.
>
> Yes , still have the XXXXXX ( don't plan on selling but the guy
> offered me $XXXX for it after he saw the pics. His price not mine ( did
> I mention before he offered that much he tried to talk me down on the
> XXXX to $XXXXX because he was tight on cash.)
>
> I had a guy show up a month ago at the house on a XXXXX I had in the
> paper for $XXXX. He offers 300 and told me he didn't know pins were so
> high. I tell him it was listed in the paper what makes him think I
> would take XXXX price I was asking. He then sticks around for over 2
> hours playing other pins. I literally had to tell him to get out!
>
> Rant is off now. I guess that I'll go see what WTBs I'm not interested
> in and respond to them anyway asking for a lot of PICs.

If you're looking for cheap switchers - there are a lot of PC's gathering
dust with perfectly good ATX switching power supplies in them - you can get
them for free. Google a little bit and you'll learn how to hook them up.

With regards to the cheap guys that want gold at lead prices, you can
usually tell within one or two emails. As a buyer I also will haggle on a
price but if the seller is firm or I feel the price is too high, I don't
waste their time. I thank them for their time and wish them luck finding
the right buyer or if they are unsuccessful and want to sell at my offer
price to please contact me. If I can't get a deal done after a little
haggling with the prospective buyer, I walk away from selling to them. You
have every right to politely do that if they are unwilling to pay your
asking price on your terms as much as they have to walk away. I've run
into a few and after they waste my time once, I will not deal with them
again - they are on my private "won't deal with them again" list. I do
board repair work and I run into the same problem - I feel my rates are very
fair but a few people want their boards fixed for free or at a discount if
they send two (it takes just as long to repair one board as it does twice as
long to repair two - no savings of my time). I send them the links for a
few repair sites and tell them to have a nice day. I just wish people would
respect other people's valuable time.

Best Regards,

Bill

"Michael Roman" <michael.pacifico@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> > want to frustrate myself like yesterday I could just run around in
> > circles to save time.
> >
> > Yes , still have the XXXXXX ( don't plan on selling but the guy
> > offered me $XXXX for it after he saw the pics. His price not mine ( did
> > I mention before he offered that much he tried to talk me down on the
> > XXXX to $XXXXX because he was tight on cash.)
> >
> > I had a guy show up a month ago at the house on a XXXXX I had in the
> > paper for $XXXX. He offers 300 and told me he didn't know pins were so
> > high. I tell him it was listed in the paper what makes him think I
> > would take XXXX price I was asking. He then sticks around for over 2
> > hours playing other pins. I literally had to tell him to get out!
> >
> > Rant is off now. I guess that I'll go see what WTBs I'm not interested
> > in and respond to them anyway asking for a lot of PICs.

Yes, I agree that there are some people who "want gold at lead prices."

But, there will always be people like that in any profession/trade -
think about it -(e.g., free accounting, medical advice, construction
work, free meals or drinks just because you own or manage a restaurant
etc.).

Also, what does not help is the instability of todays video
(arcade)market. Who knows how low prices are going to go. It is sort
of like when the industry dried up the first time. While some of the
true collectors will always be around, it seems some are trying to get
out fast and unfortunately are losing money they previously invested
thinking or hoping for a complete return on their investment.

It's kind of interesting how many times over the last 15 years the
value of my original Donkey Kong UR has changed :) .

Maybe when the market stabilizes things will settle down again. Maybe
it will never settle. Who knows.

As for the state of today's group . . . I think it's great. I thank all
of you who have websites with tutorials and advice that I can rely on.
Without this group and the past posts I could not have done many of the
repairs that I have. I have been in this hobby 15 years and am still
learning today. I have saved myself from frying boards or harming
myself because of the depth of this newsgroup. Being a
collector/hobbyist - that's very enjoyable to me to learn more about
the hobby as well as the business.

Thanks to all who contribute.

Big Al
Bradenton,FL

Mark C. Spaeth wrote:
> Bill Karkula <wkarkula@comcast.net> wrote:
> : If you're looking for cheap switchers - there are a lot of PC's gathering
> : dust with perfectly good ATX switching power supplies in them - you can get
> : them for free. Google a little bit and you'll learn how to hook them up.
>
> But it's not such a good idea to leave the 3.3V unloaded.
>
> --
> Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
> 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
> Cambridge, MA 02139
> (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

mark

Well said Bill.
"Bill Karkula" <wkarkula@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > want to frustrate myself like yesterday I could just run around in
>> > circles to save time.
>> >
>> > Yes , still have the XXXXXX ( don't plan on selling but the guy
>> > offered me $XXXX for it after he saw the pics. His price not mine ( did
>> > I mention before he offered that much he tried to talk me down on the
>> > XXXX to $XXXXX because he was tight on cash.)
>> >
>> > I had a guy show up a month ago at the house on a XXXXX I had in the
>> > paper for $XXXX. He offers 300 and told me he didn't know pins were so
>> > high. I tell him it was listed in the paper what makes him think I
>> > would take XXXX price I was asking. He then sticks around for over 2
>> > hours playing other pins. I literally had to tell him to get out!
>> >
>> > Rant is off now. I guess that I'll go see what WTBs I'm not interested
>> > in and respond to them anyway asking for a lot of PICs.

Thanks for the info Bill...

Now that is what these boards should be about...

People helping people... not juvenile bickering....

"MARK" <MARKLINE@OPTONLINE.NET> wrote in message
> Well said Bill.
> "Bill Karkula" <wkarkula@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> If you're looking for cheap switchers - there are a lot of PC's gathering
>> dust with perfectly good ATX switching power supplies in them - you can
>> get
>> them for free. Google a little bit and you'll learn how to hook them up.
>>
>> With regards to the cheap guys that want gold at lead prices, you can
>> usually tell within one or two emails. As a buyer I also will haggle on a
>> price but if the seller is firm or I feel the price is too high, I don't
>> waste their time. I thank them for their time and wish them luck finding
>> the right buyer or if they are unsuccessful and want to sell at my offer
>> price to please contact me. If I can't get a deal done after a little
>> haggling with the prospective buyer, I walk away from selling to them.
>> You
>> have every right to politely do that if they are unwilling to pay your
>> asking price on your terms as much as they have to walk away. I've run
>> into a few and after they waste my time once, I will not deal with them
>> again - they are on my private "won't deal with them again" list. I do
>> board repair work and I run into the same problem - I feel my rates are
>> very
>> fair but a few people want their boards fixed for free or at a discount
>> if
>> they send two (it takes just as long to repair one board as it does twice
>> as
>> long to repair two - no savings of my time). I send them the links for a
>> few repair sites and tell them to have a nice day. I just wish people
>> would
>> respect other people's valuable time.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> "Michael Roman" <michael.pacifico@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Was I "worried" about paying too much... no
>>>
>>> Was I CURIOUS if anyone in the group knew of a cheaper place to get
>>> one...
>>> YES
>>>
>>> I didnt know that being frugal was frowned upon in RGVAC/RGVAM
>>>
>>> oh well... guess I better go back to mowing lawns and counting my
>>> pennies
>> in
>>> hopes of being able to afford that switching power supply...
>>>
>>> <AubHtr@aol.com> wrote in message

Bill Karkula <wkarkula@comcast.net> wrote:
: If you're looking for cheap switchers - there are a lot of PC's gathering
: dust with perfectly good ATX switching power supplies in them - you can get
: them for free. Google a little bit and you'll learn how to hook them up.

But it's not such a good idea to leave the 3.3V unloaded.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

Good god, if you've got people complaining about YOUR prices, they really
must be a cheap ass. You repaired a board for me awhile back and I was
nearly giddy at how cheap it ended up being.

Ron

> [...]
>> > want to frustrate myself like yesterday I could just run around in
>> > circles to save time.
>> >
>> > Yes , still have the XXXXXX ( don't plan on selling but the guy
>> > offered me $XXXX for it after he saw the pics. His price not mine ( did
>> > I mention before he offered that much he tried to talk me down on the
>> > XXXX to $XXXXX because he was tight on cash.)
>> >
>> > I had a guy show up a month ago at the house on a XXXXX I had in the
>> > paper for $XXXX. He offers 300 and told me he didn't know pins were so
>> > high. I tell him it was listed in the paper what makes him think I
>> > would take XXXX price I was asking. He then sticks around for over 2
>> > hours playing other pins. I literally had to tell him to get out!
>> >
>> > Rant is off now. I guess that I'll go see what WTBs I'm not interested
>> > in and respond to them anyway asking for a lot of PICs.

Andy

Count on that downward spiral to continue plummeting values on arcade games,
and thank MAME on the way down.

Andy

> Also, what does not help is the instability of todays video
> (arcade)market. Who knows how low prices are going to go. It is sort
> of like when the industry dried up the first time. While some of the
> true collectors will always be around, it seems some are trying to get
> out fast and unfortunately are losing money they previously invested
> thinking or hoping for a complete return on their investment.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:35:08 GMT, "Andy"
<andy@NOSPAMcharlottepinball.com> wrote:

>Count on that downward spiral to continue plummeting values on arcade games,
>and thank MAME on the way down.
>
>Andy

I seriously doubt MAME has anything to do with it. MAME actually
revitalized and introduced a ton of folks to collecting.

Maybe you can blame the cheap multi-game boards, or maybe it is just
plain old market saturation. Trying to blame an emulator is just
silly.

Best,

- Mike -

Just speaking personally, that was my case. I found out about mame last year
and within a month thought.. how cool would it be to have a computer in a
real mahine. man was i suprised the build your own community was as big as
it was.

went to my first auction for a cabinet... got a non working crowns golf in a
frogger cabinet that didn't work until i got it home and did something with
the multiposition switch as well as a working enduro racer.

since then i've only built 3 mini mame machines for friends but somehow
ended up with 5 dedicated games... still no mame machine though.

i have a gutted defender cab that's going to make a cool multiwilliams and a
gutted DL II cab that's going to be my all in one... if i ever get the time
but i'll probably end up getting a dedicated mr do before i do either of
those.

k.

"Mike Haaland" <mhaaland@mikesarcade.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:35:08 GMT, "Andy"
> <andy@NOSPAMcharlottepinball.com> wrote:
>
>>Count on that downward spiral to continue plummeting values on arcade
>>games,
>>and thank MAME on the way down.
>>
>>Andy
>
> I seriously doubt MAME has anything to do with it. MAME actually
> revitalized and introduced a ton of folks to collecting.
>
> Maybe you can blame the cheap multi-game boards, or maybe it is just
> plain old market saturation. Trying to blame an emulator is just
> silly.
>
> Best,
>
> - Mike -

My personal opinion is that Mame has eroded values (overall) of classic
video game value and as long as people can build a machine for under
$1000 that plays over 4000+ games almost perfectly that the demand for
the classics will deminish (see
Dragon's Lair).
Sorry, MAME does not play dragons lair. If you want to blame an
emulator for this game in particular, blame DAPHNE.

Andy

> I seriously doubt MAME has anything to do with it. MAME actually
> revitalized and introduced a ton of folks to collecting.

Well, Mame may have extended people's exposure to these old games but if you
think that, for a minute, that exposure to the old games has increased
desire and demand for dedicated games I would only agree if - the games were
dedicated and not easily emulated (ex: Spy Hunter, Tron, 720, etc.)

I like Mame, I like classic vid collecting. My personal opinion is that