radeon ve vs. herc prophet II gts 64mb

worthnew

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
hi,
i'm trying to put system together on a limited budget. i have a chance to get a hercules prophet II 64mb board pretty cheap at about the same price as the ati radeon ve board. i can also get a lcd display cheap as well. both boards supports dvi output so that's another reason i'm thinking of them. so the question is which video board should i get? which board is more powerful? i tried to search here on tom's hardware, but the search only turns up the prophet ii gts, not the 64mb version.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the hercules board is better if you can get the same price... much better performance...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Is this a GeForce2 MX board you are talking about? Or the GeForce 2? Sounds like the GF2 mx, make sure it is not the MX200 version in which case the Radeon VE would be faster.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Not a bad price at all. The VE will beat it in 2d Quality, DVD/video and get smeared by the GF2 in 3d performance. Also the VE has Hydravision meaning it supports two monitors or monitor/TV while the GF2 has a TV out but you can't have separate things on the monitor and TV set. The Radeon has probably the best TV capability as in the quality of display. The GF2 will dominate in 3d graphics.

G

why does everyone kill on the radeon ve, its not the top performer for sure but it is more than adequate. for dual monitor and 3D together it is the best for sure. i have a 64 meg ddr ve and to be honest im quite happy with the 3D performance. im an avid gamer and flight simmer. if pure 3D is your concern the gts will be better, but that doesnt mean radeons suck.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 32MB Radeon LE is probably better performing than even the 64MB VE. The VE has no Texture and Lighting engine. It is also much more expensive than the LE. It can provide dual monitors, but so can the GF2MX. A 64MB MX400 is probably better than the 64MB VE. But since I don't need an extended desktop, I wouldn't use either. My wife has the LE and I have the GTS, both of which are better than the VE.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine