Temporary disabling of "NTUSER"

Aloha

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2002

I am trying to copy a large folder to a new external hard drive. I get the
error message saying something like "cannot copy NTUSER. It is being used
by another program. Close it first."

Is there any way to temporarily disable this program so I can copy the
entire folder and not have to select the subfolders only?

If the program can be stopped, would it be safe to move the ntuser file that
shows up in the folder and then restore it afterwards?

Thanks, Gene

Documents and Settings folder right?

You'll have to log on as another user. ntuser.dat is in use because *you*
are logged on.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:TgyHe.10181$DJ5.142@trnddc07,
Aloha <bigislandhilo@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> I am trying to copy a large folder to a new external hard drive. I get
> the error message saying something like "cannot copy NTUSER. It is being
> used by another program. Close it first."
>
> Is there any way to temporarily disable this program so I can copy the
> entire folder and not have to select the subfolders only?
>
> If the program can be stopped, would it be safe to move the ntuser file
> that shows up in the folder and then restore it afterwards?
>
> Thanks, Gene

Aloha

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2002

If I log on as a different user, the folder is not available. I'm trying to
copy files from "My Documents" under my user name so under a different user
the files are not there.

???

Log on as Administrator.

Ignore the password part of this article. It explains how to log on as
Administrator.

How to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or your password
expires
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321305

Scroll down to...
Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional in a workgroup
or
Windows XP Professional in a domain

Whichever applies.

Also if needed...

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:kQyHe.19672$MW5.1610@trnddc08,
Aloha <bigislandhilo@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> If I log on as a different user, the folder is not available. I'm trying
> to copy files from "My Documents" under my user name so under a different
> user the files are not there.
>
> ???

Aloha

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2002

Thanks for the information. But seems like it will easier if I just
highlight the twenty or so files in the folder that I want to copy and not
select the NTUSER.

Thanks again, Gene

There are always more than one way to skin a cat. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:MMBHe.19704$MW5.17192@trnddc08,
Aloha <bigislandhilo@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks for the information. But seems like it will easier if I just
> highlight the twenty or so files in the folder that I want to copy and not
> select the NTUSER.
>
> Thanks again, Gene

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

Aloha wrote:

> If I log on as a different user, the folder is not
> available. I'm trying to copy files from "My Documents"
> under my user name so under a different user
> the files are not there.

They are there. Look under
C:\Documents and Settings\<the other username>

Cheers,

Cliff

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

Aloha wrote:

> I am trying to copy a large folder to a new external
> hard drive. I get the error message saying something
> like "cannot copy NTUSER. It is being used by another
> program. Close it first."
>
> Is there any way to temporarily disable this program
> so I can copy the entire folder and not have to select
> the subfolders only?
>
> If the program can be stopped, would it be safe to move
> the ntuser file that shows up in the folder and then
> restore it afterwards?

If you copy and then delete the files in your profile you
may end up not being able to login to your computer. Why are
you trying to copy this folder?

Cheers,

Cliff