ATI RADEON VE 64MB

G

Hey quick question,

I have a brand new gateway with ATI's RADEON VE 64 MB AGP video card, and I was wondering if anyone knows if it supports 1600 X 1024 resolution.

Also if it does, do you know if Gateway's does to, cause soemtimes they have OEM specific differences.

If it does not, could a new driver change that?

Thanks, David

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
To my knowledge, ATI doesn't sell a Radeon VE with 64MB Ram, are you sure that you are not using the LE? If you are, you can upgrade the Drivers and Bios to that of a Retail version.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Radeon VE 64MB? Must be a special order from Gateway. The VE is the cut down version with the Texture and Lighting engine removed. You knew this right?

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Yeah it is a Radeon VE 64, i guess it was made jsut for gateway. Either way, I found a way to get my desired resolution by either using REGEDIT or Powerstrip, so I'm happy. If that doesnt work I can always get the gateway upgrade price of $275 for the Visiontek GeForce 3, :).

THnaks a lot for the help,
David

G

how funny, my names david and i have a new gateway and the exact same card. yes its 64 meg ddr. it supports 1600*1200 at 32 bit color @85hz i believe.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
The Radeon VE is the version that has the multiple monitor support See site <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products/pc/radeon_ve/index.html" target="_new">here</A>. The LE is the version that comes with the OEMs. It is hard to not get these confused but for those who might want to know the difference, there you go.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

Actually arsend, gateway and powerstrip and my settigns panel list my card as a Radeon VE 64 mb. I think gateway can hvae them make custom cards, so they took the VE and increased the memory. It does not come with that Hydravision software listed on the page, so I don't know how to even use dual screens right now (may not be possible), but they lsit the card as VE, not LE

G

it has 3 connectors. hydravision isnt installed as far as i know with the gateway but you can still use two monitors i think. you need a digital flat panel to vga adapter and plug the second vga into the digital output and configure the second monotor in windows. in properties there is provisions for two monitors. device manager shows 2 monitors installed for me although i have one. when i removeone upon restart it reinstalls my monitor a second time, i think just to have like a placeholder for the second monitor capabilities of the card.

TRENDING THREADS