Keyboard problem - help

my keyboard is not working properly. The "." keeps becoming a ">" and the
caps lock looks like it is on but it isn't. The numbers are also showing the
symbols as if the caps lock is on. I have tried a USB keyboard and this
gives the same problems.

I have also reinstalled XP (home eddition) but the problem has come back...
is this a virus or is it a setting problem? help!!!! web browsing is
almost impossible and it comes and goes..

thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about keyboard problem help

    Replace your damaged or defective keyboard....

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "vicki" wrote:

    | my keyboard is not working properly. The "." keeps becoming a ">" and the
    | caps lock looks like it is on but it isn't. The numbers are also showing the
    | symbols as if the caps lock is on. I have tried a USB keyboard and this
    | gives the same problems.
    |
    | I have also reinstalled XP (home eddition) but the problem has come back...
    | is this a virus or is it a setting problem? help!!!! web browsing is
    | almost impossible and it comes and goes..
    |
    | thanks

    I have been talking to dell and they say it is not the keyboard as it is a
    brand new laptop and a USB keyboard does the same thing when it is attached
    so they say it is software

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Replace your damaged or defective keyboard....
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "vicki" wrote:
    >
    > | my keyboard is not working properly. The "." keeps becoming a ">" and the
    > | caps lock looks like it is on but it isn't. The numbers are also showing the
    > | symbols as if the caps lock is on. I have tried a USB keyboard and this
    > | gives the same problems.
    > |
    > | I have also reinstalled XP (home eddition) but the problem has come back...
    > | is this a virus or is it a setting problem? help!!!! web browsing is
    > | almost impossible and it comes and goes..
    > |
    > | thanks

    The problem described in the original post is most certainly NOT the
    keyboard. I had the same thing happen to me on my HP a few weeks ago,
    and also the mouse no longer worked as it used to - I couldn't select
    just one icon it highlighed many at one time, could not select a
    portion of text, etc.

    It seems like someone responded to my post on this problem (or maybe
    no one did) that it had to do with the accessibility wizard. Never
    could find anything abut it there.

    Well...it just happened to me again and the cause was clearly some
    strange combination of keystrokes I did not intend. My only fix was
    to do a system restore back to yesterday. But it sure would be nice
    to know how to undo this problem.

    Vicki...I assume you got it fixed (without buying a new keyboard) and
    I'm curious how, in case it happens to me again.

    Jim

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:32:17 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    >Replace your damaged or defective keyboard....
    my keyboard is not working properly. The "." keeps becoming a ">" and
    the
    caps lock looks like it is on but it isn't. The numbers are also
    showing the
    symbols as if the caps lock is on. I have tried a USB keyboard and
    this
    gives the same problems.

    I have also reinstalled XP (home eddition) but the problem has come
    back...
    is this a virus or is it a setting problem? help!!!! web browsing is
    almost impossible and it comes and goes..

    thanks

    The problem described in the original post is most certainly NOT the
    keyboard. I had the same thing happen to me on my HP a few weeks ago,
    and also the mouse no longer worked as it used to - I couldn't select
    just one icon it highlighed many at one time, could not select a
    portion of text, etc.

    It seems like someone responded to my post on this problem (or maybe
    no one did) that it had to do with the accessibility wizard. Never
    could find anything abut it there.

    Well...it just happened to me again and the cause was clearly some
    strange combination of keystrokes I did not intend. My only fix was
    to do a system restore back to yesterday. But it sure would be nice
    to know how to undo this problem.

    Vicki...I assume you got it fixed (without buying a new keyboard) and
    I'm curious how, in case it happens to me again.

    Jim

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:32:17 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    >Replace your damaged or defective keyboard....
    my keyboard is not working properly. The "." keeps becoming a ">" and
    the
    caps lock looks like it is on but it isn't. The numbers are also
    showing the
    symbols as if the caps lock is on. I have tried a USB keyboard and
    this
    gives the same problems.

    I have also reinstalled XP (home eddition) but the problem has come
    back...
    is this a virus or is it a setting problem? help!!!! web browsing is
    almost impossible and it comes and goes..

    thanks

    How about toggle keys.

    "Jim" <nospamjak@comcast.net> wrote in message news:tpfhh19duneat9h71a5lr19urua1fi7d4p@4ax.com...
    > The problem described in the original post is most certainly NOT the
    > keyboard. I had the same thing happen to me on my HP a few weeks ago,
    > and also the mouse no longer worked as it used to - I couldn't select
    > just one icon it highlighed many at one time, could not select a
    > portion of text, etc.
    >
    > It seems like someone responded to my post on this problem (or maybe
    > no one did) that it had to do with the accessibility wizard. Never
    > could find anything abut it there.
    >
    > Well...it just happened to me again and the cause was clearly some
    > strange combination of keystrokes I did not intend. My only fix was
    > to do a system restore back to yesterday. But it sure would be nice
    > to know how to undo this problem.
    >
    > Vicki...I assume you got it fixed (without buying a new keyboard) and
    > I'm curious how, in case it happens to me again.
    >
    > Jim
    >
    > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:32:17 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    > <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Replace your damaged or defective keyboard....
    > my keyboard is not working properly. The "." keeps becoming a ">" and
    > the
    > caps lock looks like it is on but it isn't. The numbers are also
    > showing the
    > symbols as if the caps lock is on. I have tried a USB keyboard and
    > this
    > gives the same problems.
    >
    > I have also reinstalled XP (home eddition) but the problem has come
    > back...
    > is this a virus or is it a setting problem? help!!!! web browsing is
    > almost impossible and it comes and goes..
    >
    > thanks

    Found that in accessibility but it does not create the same symptoms
    in either setting..
    That system restore fixed the problem both times, not to mention the
    mouse problem tells me it's not a keyboard problem.
    I guess Vicki and I just have a unique problem that no one on this
    forum has ever seen. Perhaps it's a bug in XP that only the 2 of us
    have managed accidentally invoke.

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 07:58:53 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

    >How about toggle keys.

    Though usually it's dirt in the shift key.
    "Jim" <nospamjak@comcast.net> wrote in message news:tpfhh19duneat9h71a5lr19urua1fi7d4p@4ax.com...
    > The problem described in the original post is most certainly NOT the
    > keyboard. I had the same thing happen to me on my HP a few weeks ago,
    > and also the mouse no longer worked as it used to - I couldn't select
    > just one icon it highlighed many at one time, could not select a
    > portion of text, etc.
    >
    > It seems like someone responded to my post on this problem (or maybe
    > no one did) that it had to do with the accessibility wizard. Never
    > could find anything abut it there.
    >
    > Well...it just happened to me again and the cause was clearly some
    > strange combination of keystrokes I did not intend. My only fix was
    > to do a system restore back to yesterday. But it sure would be nice
    > to know how to undo this problem.
    >
    > Vicki...I assume you got it fixed (without buying a new keyboard) and
    > I'm curious how, in case it happens to me again.
    >
    > Jim
    >
    > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:32:17 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    > <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Replace your damaged or defective keyboard....
    > my keyboard is not working properly. The "." keeps becoming a ">" and
    > the
    > caps lock looks like it is on but it isn't. The numbers are also
    > showing the
    > symbols as if the caps lock is on. I have tried a USB keyboard and
    > this
    > gives the same problems.
    >
    > I have also reinstalled XP (home eddition) but the problem has come
    > back...
    > is this a virus or is it a setting problem? help!!!! web browsing is
    > almost impossible and it comes and goes..
    >
    > thanks

    And that screws up the mouse?

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 08:00:03 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

    >Though usually it's dirt in the shift key.

    Yes, as ctrl + click is multi select and shift + Click is select all between click and shift + click

    "Jim" <nospamjak@comcast.net> wrote in message news:uvqhh1p7q47pt5crik3e2mo7pt8rg95g4v@4ax.com...
    > And that screws up the mouse?
    >
    > On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 08:00:03 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:
    >
    >>Though usually it's dirt in the shift key.

    Thanks much. I do see that if hold the shift key down all the time I
    can replicate this problem, I think. Will just look at the shift keys
    and ctrl key next time. I now see the shift key does sometimes stick
    down.

    Still wonder why system restore fixed it both times. Maybe that
    ejects the shift key :-o)

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 10:24:18 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

    >Yes, as ctrl + click is multi select and shift + Click is select all between click and shift + click

    There was a similar problem is Win 95 or 98 that had a wierd cause that I can't remember. Not dirt or toggle keys. I just can't remember but it was an obscure and not logical cause.

    "Jim" <nospamjak@comcast.net> wrote in message news:l3rhh1pe8ev4l6p1guhdq1fgq1rjhfn4ms@4ax.com...
    > Found that in accessibility but it does not create the same symptoms
    > in either setting..
    > That system restore fixed the problem both times, not to mention the
    > mouse problem tells me it's not a keyboard problem.
    > I guess Vicki and I just have a unique problem that no one on this
    > forum has ever seen. Perhaps it's a bug in XP that only the 2 of us
    > have managed accidentally invoke.
    >
    > On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 07:58:53 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:
    >
    >>How about toggle keys.

Microsoft Keyboards Windows XP