My HP is acting up and time to get another on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

honeyinsfl

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Hello,
Need to replace my HP laptop ASAP. I do not want Windows 8; frankly is another Windows Vista fiasco, so I want to stay with Windows 7. I will need to travel with the laptop so a 14" or 15.7" is the size that I am looking for. The new HPs come with the mouse on the left side and not in the center. honestly this will bother me at first, but like anything I will get used it. Gaming, well, I do not do much of it, just a little bit, but this may change - who knows. I love playing music, so definitely a DVD/CD-R (I love burning CDs). I want a crips screen, I wear computer and reading glasses, a backlit keyboard would be awesome and definitely a nice keyboard. I use an external webcam, so the webcam that comes with the laptop is not really important. I am an adult student, that uses the computer for schoolwork, emails, playing and burning music, the occasional game here and there. I want i5 or higher and if possible 6GB or higher.
I can either buy on HP website or Best Buy, but at Best Buy everything on the floor has Windows 8, so that is why I am having an hard time making up my mind since I cannot physically see it.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Telling us your budget and country of purchase would be a great start to this.

honeyinsfl

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

I will probably be buying this from HP directly since they are the ones that are still selling Windows 7 (I live in the USA). I am looking at the dv6T-7000 series (not the quad as it is expensive). I mostly need it for school, some Facebook, lots of emaiils, online videos and music. I play some Bejeweled or Solitaire, not heavy games, it does not mean I may not in the future, but too busy for that at the moment with school and work. I will not like my budget to exceed $700.

Thank you.

honeyinsfl

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
I had HPs in the past and the only reason I am replacing it, is because the one I currently have, I dropped it by mistake, so it cracked on the side where the fan is located and the hinge where the screen is connected to the laptop is off and when it comes out of its place the screen goes blank.

honeyinsfl

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

Actually that is the model I am looking at. In the past, I have bought my laptops at Best Buy. I just make sure I have enough memory and that is it. Since I am getting from HP directly, I am torn in the upgrades. I am into playing games and such, so upgrading to the better display; which is $150 more, plus NVDIA G force...I am just not sure if I need to upgrade to this. Definitely will boost my cache and spend the extra $50 for that, but not sure what else to upgrade to. At my 40s I use my readers so I understand that better display will be an issue....sigh...basically I need help in making a sound, affordable investment.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

The GTX650 will play most games at decent settings.

Caching will make the PC much faster.

I recomend 6-8GB RAM.

A better screen is an option, not a must.

honeyinsfl

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

At the risk of soung ignorant, and I am... what does GTX650 mean?

honeyinsfl

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

OK...here are my specs. I get a student discount and I intent on also applying the extra $75 coupon.

Your dv6t-7000 series
Operating system Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edit
Processor 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz) edit
Graphics card Intel(R) HD Graphics edit
Memory FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) edit
Hard drive 750GB 7200RPM Hard Drive edit
Hard Drive Acceleration Cache 32GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache edit
Office software No Additional Office Software edit
Security software No additional security software edit
Primary battery 50% off 6 cell + 9 cell Lithium Ion Battery edit
Display 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768) edit
Primary optical drive SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support edit
Personalization HP TrueVision HD Webcam edit
Networking Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R) edit
Keyboard Backlit Keyboard with numeric keypad edit

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

A GTX650 is a graphics unit that would replace the Intel HD graphics. It makes your games run much faster and look better, at a cost of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.