Whenever i turn my computer on, it loads up normally, then before it gets to
the name/password screen, the whole screen goes black and i have to restart.
I can get in thru safemode, but not in any other mode. I ran many virus
scans and spyware scans and thru msconfig i stopped anything from starting
upon windows startup. i use windows 98. please someone help.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

While in safe mode run msconfig and select "advanced" on the general tab.
Apply a check in the box next to VGA 640 x 480 x 16. This will force a
normal startup to load the standard VGA driver. Download updated drivers for
your video card, along with the latest Windows Updates.

Brian Pugh
A+, Network +, MCP

"AndrewVA" <AndrewVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever i turn my computer on, it loads up normally, then before it gets
> the name/password screen, the whole screen goes black and i have to
restart.
> I can get in thru safemode, but not in any other mode. I ran many virus
> scans and spyware scans and thru msconfig i stopped anything from starting
> upon windows startup. i use windows 98. please someone help.

Andrew,
If you have Windows 98, you are much better served at the win98 group at
microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

Whichever Windows you do have, it is set to Reboot on system error. Turn off that setting.
That way you can actually see the fatal error, and then beging to diagnose & fix it.

Next, select Advanced. Look for a block that says Startup and recovery. Press the settings button.
In System failure section, turn off (un-check) Automatically restart. Apply change.

Then logoff and restart.
Again, if on Win98, do use the Win98 groups.

If you have a Windows fatal error, it's important to write down the full code & text.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User