Help Needed - Computer Defaulting to TEMP User

Arggh! Help Needed Identifying/Eliminating TEMP User

Guessing my father's computer must've been visited by some brand of
evil -

A user folder called TEMP has appeared, and can be seen under Documents
And Settings:
- All Users
- Default User
- Owner
- TEMP

All files, folders, programs, address book etc.. are (and always have
been) in "Owner". Owner is the only user profile on the computer, yet
when WinXP is booted, it seems as if TEMP is the active user - The
sparse TEMP desktop appears, there is no access to email, etc. If I
run Outlook Express, I get the welcoming screen as if it was never used
before. I cannot access the TEMP user.. If I try to log off and
change users, I can't... The only choice offered is Owner.

I was going to copy files and folders from Owner to TEMP, but I don't
think this solves the problem.

(Have updated and run Norton Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search &
Destroy - All reads fine)

How can I repair this so Owner is once again the sole user when Windows
boots? Simple words & concepts appreciated...
Help please and TIA!
- Krebs
6 answers Last reply
More about help needed computer defaulting temp user

    Krebs wrote:
    > Arggh! Help Needed Identifying/Eliminating TEMP User
    >
    > Guessing my father's computer must've been visited by some brand of
    > evil -
    >
    > A user folder called TEMP has appeared, and can be seen under
    > Documents And Settings:
    > - All Users
    > - Default User
    > - Owner
    > - TEMP
    >
    > All files, folders, programs, address book etc.. are (and always have
    > been) in "Owner". Owner is the only user profile on the computer, yet
    > when WinXP is booted, it seems as if TEMP is the active user - The
    > sparse TEMP desktop appears, there is no access to email, etc. If I
    > run Outlook Express, I get the welcoming screen as if it was never
    > used before. I cannot access the TEMP user.. If I try to log off and
    > change users, I can't... The only choice offered is Owner.
    >
    > I was going to copy files and folders from Owner to TEMP, but I don't
    > think this solves the problem.
    >
    > (Have updated and run Norton Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search &
    > Destroy - All reads fine)
    >
    > How can I repair this so Owner is once again the sole user when
    > Windows boots? Simple words & concepts appreciated...
    > Help please and TIA!

    The original profile is corrupt. Create a new one as an adminstrative user
    (TEMP may be one) and log in with that user.. Take ownership of the old
    OWNER folder and copy the files you need - not everything - because there
    are settings in there that are corrupt obviously - but the documents and
    such.. Then rebuild the desktop/start menu from that user as well..

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Krebs,
    Give this a go. From XP's main menu, select Control Panel. Then select User Accounts. Then pick Change the way users log on or off.
    Un-check the Use the Welcome screen. Apply changes. Logoff and restart.

    (You may or may not have to do this in Safe Mode). This change hopefully will allow selecting (typing in) Owner account.

    Make very sure you have eradicated all malware.
    See The Parasite Fight Quick Fix Protocol at <http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm>

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Krebs wrote:
    > Arggh! Help Needed Identifying/Eliminating TEMP User
    >
    > Guessing my father's computer must've been visited by some brand of
    > evil -
    >
    > A user folder called TEMP has appeared, and can be seen under
    > Documents And Settings:
    > - All Users
    > - Default User
    > - Owner
    > - TEMP
    >
    > All files, folders, programs, address book etc.. are (and always have
    > been) in "Owner". Owner is the only user profile on the computer, yet
    > when WinXP is booted, it seems as if TEMP is the active user - The
    > sparse TEMP desktop appears, there is no access to email, etc. If I
    > run Outlook Express, I get the welcoming screen as if it was never
    > used before. I cannot access the TEMP user.. If I try to log off and
    > change users, I can't... The only choice offered is Owner.
    >
    > I was going to copy files and folders from Owner to TEMP, but I don't
    > think this solves the problem.
    >
    > (Have updated and run Norton Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search &
    > Destroy - All reads fine)
    >
    > How can I repair this so Owner is once again the sole user when
    > Windows boots? Simple words & concepts appreciated...
    > Help please and TIA!
    > - Krebs

    Shenan,
    Many thanks for the speedy advice.
    Hope to get that machine up and running soonest!
    - Krebs

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > The original profile is corrupt. Create a new one as an adminstrative user
    > (TEMP may be one) and log in with that user.. Take ownership of the old
    > OWNER folder and copy the files you need - not everything - because there
    > are settings in there that are corrupt obviously - but the documents and
    > such.. Then rebuild the desktop/start menu from that user as well..
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    Hey Maurice,
    Thanks for the quick reply - it's much appreciated.
    Let's see if can get that machine up and running today.
    - Krebs

    Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
    > Krebs,
    > Give this a go. From XP's main menu, select Control Panel. Then select User Accounts. Then pick Change the way users log on or off.
    > Un-check the Use the Welcome screen. Apply changes. Logoff and restart.
    >
    > (You may or may not have to do this in Safe Mode). This change hopefully will allow selecting (typing in) Owner account.
    >
    > Make very sure you have eradicated all malware.
    > See The Parasite Fight Quick Fix Protocol at <http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm>
    >
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----

    I am confused..........
    Bear with me......I create a new user (admin)
    question....how do I "take ownership of the old owner folder"
    what does that mean ?

    also.... in working on a fix ...we created a new user
    but there was no (new)identity in the (new) local settings
    how can that be ??

    TIA
    Salmon Dave

    Salmon Dave wrote:
    > I am confused..........
    > Bear with me......I create a new user (admin)
    > question....how do I "take ownership of the old owner folder"
    > what does that mean ?
    >
    > also.... in working on a fix ...we created a new user
    > but there was no (new)identity in the (new) local settings
    > how can that be ??

    First - create your new user:
    HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

    Make it an "Administrative User".
    Log in as the user at least ONCE to allow the creation of the files/folders
    for the user - before you log in - you have only created the "idea" of the
    user - the building of the profile in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME
    does not happen until you log in.

    Now - reboot.

    Log in as the new user.

    Take ownership of all of the files/folders under c:\documents and
    settings\owner:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

    How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
    on a shared folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

    Once you have taken ownership of the files/folders, you should be able to
    browse them. I would copy files from the OWNER user to the new user
    folders.. But not from any of these directories or their sub directories:

    Application Data
    Cookies
    Desktop
    Favorites
    Local Settings
    NetHood
    PrintHood
    Recent
    Templates
    UserData
    WINDOWS

    And not ANY NTUSER.* file(s).

    Reboot again - log in as the "new" user.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

Computers Windows XP