Save image default

Hi, I'm sorry to bother, but I am having a problem with my image programs. I
hope I can explain this correctly. I downloaded my digital camera software
onto my computer, it somehow made itself the default image viewer on my
computer. You know, when I save it, it's saved as "easyshare.jpg", so
whenever I opened a program it would open in that program. Well, I just
removed the program from my computer, as I never use it on this computer, and
now, when I save images, it's still saved as easyshare.jpg, even though the
program is not there. I was wondering if anyone knew how to change this
option, as I've scoured my help options and all that trying to find a "change
default." I have other programs on my computer, like irfanview, and microsoft
picture it and such, and I don't know how to make any of those the default,
as my computer is not recognizing them as valid programs. Can anyone tell me
which program is the best to use, and how to make it the default?
Thanks, and I hope I didn't confuse any of you. If you can help, email me at
supersecretsquirrel022@yahoo.com
-Naomi
1 answer Last reply
More about save image default

    SuperSecret Squirrel wrote:
    > Hi, I'm sorry to bother, but I am having a problem with my image programs. I
    > hope I can explain this correctly. I downloaded my digital camera software
    > onto my computer, it somehow made itself the default image viewer on my
    > computer. You know, when I save it, it's saved as "easyshare.jpg", so
    > whenever I opened a program it would open in that program.

    The two things have nothing to do with each other. How you save an
    image ("Save As") does not determine which specific application will
    open it. Each file extension (e.g. JPG) has a Windows definition, which
    contains the name of the application that is to process files with this
    extension by default (e.g. if double-clicked). This does not dictate
    what extension you save a file under.

    > Well, I just
    > removed the program from my computer, as I never use it on this computer, and
    > now, when I save images, it's still saved as easyshare.jpg, even though the
    > program is not there. I was wondering if anyone knew how to change this
    > option, as I've scoured my help options and all that trying to find a "change
    > default." I have other programs on my computer, like irfanview, and microsoft
    > picture it and such, and I don't know how to make any of those the default,
    > as my computer is not recognizing them as valid programs. Can anyone tell me
    > which program is the best to use, and how to make it the default?

    Right-click on a file with the extension you wish to change, select
    OPEN WITH, and then CHOOSE PROGRAM (or some wording like that). You
    will see a list of programs, which may or may not include the program
    you wish to assign to this file extension. If the program is present,
    click on the program and check the box that says something like "Always
    use this program...".

    If the program you wish to use is not listed, click on OTHER and
    navigate to the desired program and select it. Again, when you return
    to the previous list of programs check the "Always use this program..."
    box. Click OK, and that should do it.

    (PS I am on an Italian WIN2K system here, so my references to specific
    wording are not precise)

Default Computers Windows XP