can't get xp to boot after fix via recovery console

I'm trying to get xp to boot. The original problem had to do with a corrupt
ntoskrnl.exe. Microsoft's help database (KB314477) gave me the fix (expand
d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32). It said the file was successfully
expanded.
But now I am stuck in some sort of infinite loop. It begins with the screen
"We are sorry for the inconvenience..." blah blah, and do I want to start
windows normally, last known good configuration, or in one of 3 safe mode
options. No matter which one I pick, I loop back to the same screen: "were
sorry for the inconvenience. Presently, my boot device order in advanced
bios options of the set-up menu are 1. cd-rom, 2. hdd-0, and 3. floppy drive.
I've but that doesn't seem to make a difference.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
14 answers Last reply
More about boot recovery console

    Install xp cd,boot to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then type:
    CHKDSK C: /R When its thru type:EXIT Let xp start.

    "Danny Noonan" wrote:

    > I'm trying to get xp to boot. The original problem had to do with a corrupt
    > ntoskrnl.exe. Microsoft's help database (KB314477) gave me the fix (expand
    > d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32). It said the file was successfully
    > expanded.
    > But now I am stuck in some sort of infinite loop. It begins with the screen
    > "We are sorry for the inconvenience..." blah blah, and do I want to start
    > windows normally, last known good configuration, or in one of 3 safe mode
    > options. No matter which one I pick, I loop back to the same screen: "were
    > sorry for the inconvenience. Presently, my boot device order in advanced
    > bios options of the set-up menu are 1. cd-rom, 2. hdd-0, and 3. floppy drive.
    > I've but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

    I would run Check Disk to see of the generated report gives you a clue.

    Boot from your XP Installation CD and then press a key to boot from CD (when
    prompted).

    Select the 2nd option by pressing R at the first screen.

    Select the number for the appropriate folder on you hard drive, Typically
    you press "1" for C:\WINDOWS.

    When prompted for a password press enter (for a blank p/w) should work.

    When C:\WINDOWS is displayed type the following:

    chkdsk /r

    This will take a while (perhaps up to an hour.) I can't recall exactly as I
    have not run chkdsk recently. It should locate bad sectors and recover
    readable information.

    Post back with your results.

    --
    Michael

    "Danny Noonan" <DannyNoonan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to get XP to boot. The original problem had to do with a
    > corrupt
    > ntoskrnl.exe. Microsoft's help database (KB314477) gave me the fix
    > (expand
    > d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32). It said the file was
    > successfully
    > expanded.
    > But now I am stuck in some sort of infinite loop. It begins with the
    > screen
    > "We are sorry for the inconvenience..." blah blah, and do I want to start
    > windows normally, last known good configuration, or in one of 3 safe mode
    > options. No matter which one I pick, I loop back to the same screen:
    > "were
    > sorry for the inconvenience. Presently, my boot device order in advanced
    > bios options of the set-up menu are 1. cd-rom, 2. hdd-0, and 3. floppy
    > drive.
    > I've but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

    Thanks for the response, gents. I had already run chkdsk /r but I ran it
    again to make sure. No disk error reports were listed. The only report was
    the numbers associated with disk space and allocation units.

    After running chkdsk, I let it try to boot windows. Once again, whether
    letting it start up after 30 seconds in the default mode ("Start Windows
    Normally") or, say, in "Safe Mode with Command Prompt," I find myself in the
    same infinite loop. The computer just winds bak to the scrren that begins
    with the dreaded words, "We apologize for the inconvenience." I keep
    thinking there's something obvious that I'm missing...

    Again, any wisdom any out ther might share will be greatly appreciated.

    Hans W (formerly Danny Noonan)

    If this started after upgrading to Service Pack 2, then perhaps this link
    applies.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=878474

    Here's another link regarding problems with a corrupt kernel file
    Ntoskrnl.exe and Hal.dll..
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314477

    By any chance are you using a cable modem with the ISP Roadrunner. This
    combo has created problems similar to yours.

    Are you using a USB port to connect - or a NIC (or Ethernet)? Some have had
    your reboot problem with USB.

    Finally, make sure Auto Restart is turned off so you 'hopefully' will get a
    Stop Message (or error code) instead of a reboot.

    Right-click My Computer, click the Advanced tab, click Settings under
    Startup and Recovery , and then view the Automatically restart check box
    under System Failure . UNcheck this check box.

    Keep us posted.

    --
    Michael

    "Hans W" <HansW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the response, gents. I had already run chkdsk /r but I ran it
    > again to make sure. No disk error reports were listed. The only report
    > was
    > the numbers associated with disk space and allocation units.
    >
    > After running chkdsk, I let it try to boot windows. Once again, whether
    > letting it start up after 30 seconds in the default mode ("Start Windows
    > Normally") or, say, in "Safe Mode with Command Prompt," I find myself in
    > the
    > same infinite loop. The computer just winds back to the screen that
    > begins
    > with the dreaded words, "We apologize for the inconvenience." I keep
    > thinking there's something obvious that I'm missing...
    >
    > Again, any wisdom any out there might share will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Hans W (formerly Danny Noonan)

    I'm not using roadrunner, and I'm not using USB ports to connect to anything
    accept a printer and a scanner. Yes, things started to go bad after SP2 was
    loaded. At first, it worked fine. Then, after a reboot, I noticed some
    problems, so I tried system restore. But it would not open. (Yes, I have
    anti-virus, etc., running, and I did some checks, so I am relatively positive
    something like sasser is not the culprit here.) After subsequent reboots,
    things just continued to degenerate to the point where I could not open xp
    but instead got the message about the ntoskrnl.exe file being corrupt.
    Expanding that file back onto my c:drive is what has got me to where I am now.

    I have a hunch that the problem is with my boot.ini file. Either it's not
    where it's supposed to be or it's corrupted. My next step is to go back into
    the recovery console and see if I can't do something with the boot file.

    I'm by no means an expert here, so I continue to appreciate any expertise
    that can be lent by y'all.

    Hans W

    > I have a hunch that the problem is with my boot.ini file. Either it's not
    > where it's supposed to be or it's corrupted. My next step is to go back
    > into
    > the recovery console and see if I can't do something with the boot file.

    If you can boot to the Recovery Console on the CD (hit R when asked to) you
    can run the BOOTCFG /REBUILD command to have Windows automatically rebuild
    your boot.ini file for you.

    "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows Could Not Start" Error Messages When You
    Start Your Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184&Produc...

    HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022&Produc...

    The Purpose of the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314081&Produc...

    Ah, here is the heart of the problem, I think. Depsite numerous attempts to
    run bootcfg /rebuild, I continue to get the following response:

    First, I'm told "Scanning all disks for windows installations. Please wait
    since this may take a while..." Then, after 10-15 seconds, I get: "Error:
    Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. This error may
    be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent bootcfg from
    successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors. Note: This
    operation must complete successfully in order for the /add or /rebuild
    commands to be utilized.

    I have run chkdsk /r about four times now. The first time, "one or more"
    bad sectors were recovered and reparied. After this, bootcgf /rebuild still
    did not run properly but terminated in the original error message (quoted
    above). Three more runs of chkdsk showed no bad sectors or repairs, but
    bootcfg /rebuild still nets me the same error report.

    The error report suggests that there is a problem locating any windows
    installation (duh), despite the fact that upon initializing the recovery
    console, I am presented with the option "1. C:\windows" as the one and only
    windows installation.

    Getting closer to a fix? Or am I totally effed? (Either way, I remain much
    obliged for the help.)

    Hans W

    [This is the 3rd attempt at posting this; if the other two cam through,
    please forgive the redundancy.]

    Here's what my c:\boot.ini file says:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    Professional"/fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

    Hello. It doesn't seem to me that /NoExecute=OptIn belongs there at all.
    In my CMOS setup, there is no NoExecute option. Seems to me that if I edit
    my boot.ini by simply deleting /NoExecute=OptIn I might get some action.
    What do the experts say?

    Hans W

    > Hello. It doesn't seem to me that /NoExecute=OptIn belongs there at all.
    > In my CMOS setup, there is no NoExecute option. Seems to me that if I
    > edit
    > my boot.ini by simply deleting /NoExecute=OptIn I might get some action.
    > What do the experts say?

    I believe NoExecute=OptIn is added when Service Pack 2 is installed.
    Basically, this is a setting for computers with processors without hardware
    enforced DEP support which will enable software enforced DEP. Obviously you
    can learn more about DEP with Google.

    My recommendation is to leave it as is.

    Okay, so NoExecute stays. Which leaves me with the on-going problem (which I
    repeat here > Depsite numerous attempts to run bootcfg /rebuild, I continue
[...]

    windows installation. That is, it seems to me the boot.ini file, though
    intact and in the root directory, is not able to get anything going.

    > Okay, so NoExecute stays. Which leaves me with the on-going problem
    > (which I
    > repeat here > Despite numerous attempts to run bootcfg /rebuild, I
    > continue
    > to get the following response:
    >
    > First, I'm told "Scanning all disks for windows installations. Please
    > wait
    > since this may take a while..." Then, after 10-15 seconds, I get: "Error:
    > Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. This error
    > may
    > be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent bootcfg from
    > successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors. Note: This
    > operation must complete successfully in order for the /add or /rebuild
    > commands to be utilized.

    It makes me wonder if creating a *new* BOOT.INI will solve this for you.

    Launch Recovery Console again and try this.

    Step 1)
    Type bootcfg /ADD
    When prompted to Enter Load Identifier type something like "New Windows XP
    Home Edition" (without the quotes)
    Press ENTER
    When prompted to Load Options type the following (might be case sensitive)
    /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    Press ENTER

    Step 2
    Type bootcfg /DEFAULT
    Now select the new configuration you just added and press enter
    Note: The list of configs should be on your screen with numbers - e.g. "1"
    and "2".

    Step 3
    Type exit.

    Now you will want to see if you can boot in Normal Mode. Or perhaps you will
    need to shutdown and resume your attempt to perform a Repair Install with
    your XP CD-ROM inserted.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    An attempt to run bootcfg /add gets me the same error message as trying to
    run bootcfg /rebuild. The error message is as follows:

    Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. This
    error may
    be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent bootcfg from
    successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors. Note: This
    operation must complete successfully in order for the /add or /rebuild
    commands to be utilized.

    Repreated runs of chkdsk /r show no problems, but still does not result in
    the ability run bootcfg /rebuild.

    Again, outside of the recovery console, my system loops endlessly between
    two screens: the system initialization screen and the default screen that
    "Starts Windows Normally" in 30 seconds.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Would using the fixboot or fixmbr commands help?

    > An attempt to run bootcfg /add gets me the same error message as trying to
    > run bootcfg /rebuild. The error message is as follows:
    >
    > Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. This
    > error may
    > be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent bootcfg from
    > successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors. Note: This
    > operation must complete successfully in order for the /add or /rebuild
    > commands to be utilized.
    >
    > Repreated runs of chkdsk /r show no problems, but still does not result in
    > the ability run bootcfg /rebuild.
    >
    > Again, outside of the recovery console, my system loops endlessly between
    > two screens: the system initialization screen and the default screen that
    > "Starts Windows Normally" in 30 seconds.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I ran fixboot but no resolution. I'm running chkdsk again, jic. I've been
    hesitant to run fixmbr because one of the microsoft articles says that if the
    cause of the problem is a virus, running fixmbr may render all data
    irretrieveable. I'd be surprised if a virus was the cause, since all of this
    happened some days after installing XP Service Pack 2 and my security setup
    supposedly had all the bases covered. Still...

    So, probably run fixmbr and if that doesn't do it, time to reformat? Or is
    there still hope?

    "Ricky" wrote:

    > Would using the fixboot or fixmbr commands help?

Boot Windows XP