WTB: DANCE PAD GAME East Coast Will pick up

Last response: in Deals
July 19, 2005 10:03:11 PM

I need one of these for a location. Should work somewhat, minor
cosmetics not an issue. CAll Mark at (804)779-0212 to set something up.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:12:05 AM

btw, anybody have any idea what one of these run?

my kids want one and I was thinking about getting one for Christmas (plus
it'll be a good exercise machine). (they're very rare on e-bay)

my main concern is vertical height... not sure if it'll fit in my basement.

<flyn4u@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I need one of these for a location. Should work somewhat, minor
> cosmetics not an issue. CAll Mark at (804)779-0212 to set something up.

July 20, 2005 11:40:22 AM

Steve-o,
....you should be able to score an older Pump It Up dual pad for less
than 3K. Most of the single pad DDR's are around 4-5K. Expect to pay
9-10K for a dual pad DDR fully working with a recent upgrade. The
newer Pump It Up (In the Groove... kicking ass I might add) will put
you into 5 digits. If you're getting a DDR with anything newer than
7th mix for less than 9K you are stealing it.

Prices on used dual DDR's have been climbing steadily for the past year
or so, when ops figured out that it is the only game with a screen in
it that still makes any kind of money.
Related resources
July 20, 2005 12:52:04 PM

There's always the Stepmania alternative too. Free download, runs fine
off older computers, and you can download all the DDR mixes you want! I
bought a metal dance pad off ebay for around $80 with shipping (not
arcade quality but better than the soft pads used with console systems)
and a 32" flat screen TV from a guy in the paper for $150. Throw in
$250 for a half-decent computer with S-video out and you've got
yourself a $500 DDR simulator! There are themes used with Stepmania
that look almost exactly like the UI used in DDR, and there are themes
that look a lot better than DDR also. For more info on Stepmania go to
http://www.stepmania.com/stepmania/downloads.php and
http://www.ddruk.com/downloads.php?showcat=1

Jared
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 7:18:19 PM

Thanks for the info Mike...

I'd be looking for something old (no-remix) in order to leave room for
upgrades in the future (since I rarely take my kids to the arcade nowadays
they wouldn't know the difference anyway (seems they only put quarters in
the games that we already OWN just to beat the existing high scores)).

That seems along the price range I was expecting... sigh... now to try and
figure out how to make room without selling anything... :)

steve

"Mike" <coins2play@aol.com> wrote in message
> Steve-o,
> ...you should be able to score an older Pump It Up dual pad for less
> than 3K. Most of the single pad DDR's are around 4-5K. Expect to pay
> 9-10K for a dual pad DDR fully working with a recent upgrade. The
> newer Pump It Up (In the Groove... kicking ass I might add) will put
> you into 5 digits. If you're getting a DDR with anything newer than
> 7th mix for less than 9K you are stealing it.
>
> Prices on used dual DDR's have been climbing steadily for the past year
> or so, when ops figured out that it is the only game with a screen in
> it that still makes any kind of money.

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 9:02:08 PM

Yes, a Step Mania machine would be easy and cheap to build. You could
use an empty arcade cabinet, pop in a tv, buy two arcade style metal
pads on Ebay complete with hand rail for about $300 including shipping.
Get a cheap computer and run Stepmania on it and hook the pads up
through USB. Paint the cabinet and put some Stepmania decals on it and
no one will be able to tell the difference between your machine and a
$10,000 DDR arcade machine.

These fancy metal DDR pads also work with both PS2 and Xbox, so for a
cheaper alternative, just pop one of those game consoles into the
arcade cabinet instead of a PC. I'm actually thinking about building
one of these cabinets myself if my wife doesn't get bored with DDR in
the next few months. Right now we play it on X-Box with a couple cheap
X-Box dance pads (not the expensive metal ones, yet).

http://www.gameroomblog.com
http://www.pinballblog.com
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 11:28:15 PM

Thanks for the info Jared, that may actaully be the way to go (especially
considering space constraints).

!