Does not get to log on screen

XP SP2 will not progress to Log on Screen
Will boot in Safe Mode
All appears normal up to where the Log on Screen should appear
I have done a re install Repair and it ends up the same.
Have run Chkdsk
Any help greatly appreciated - hope i dont have to re install all those
programs and settings.
Andy Stapleton

Nope, if a Repair fails, rebuild is next.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Andrew Stapleton" <andrew@nornospam.com.au> wrote in message news:urG1e$ylFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> XP SP2 will not progress to Log on Screen
> Will boot in Safe Mode
> All appears normal up to where the Log on Screen should appear
> I have done a re install Repair and it ends up the same.
> Have run Chkdsk
> Any help greatly appreciated - hope i dont have to re install all those programs and settings.
> Andy Stapleton

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Nope, if a Repair fails, rebuild is next.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Andrew Stapleton" <andrew@nornospam.com.au> wrote in message news:urG1e$ylFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > XP SP2 will not progress to Log on Screen
> > Will boot in Safe Mode
> > All appears normal up to where the Log on Screen should appear
> > I have done a re install Repair and it ends up the same.
> > Have run Chkdsk
> > Any help greatly appreciated - hope i dont have to re install all those programs and settings.
> > Andy Stapleton

I'm running into this same problem...the only hardware change I have made to
my system was the video card. So I switched it out with the OEM's and I'm
still getting the same problem when i try to install SP2.

Note: SP2 was on my system before I willing re-installed to partition my
hard drive to make it duel bootable with server 2003, which has not happened
yet do to this issue...

Any Suggestions?

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bah, finally found the fix on the MS site. Here is the link

I haven't tried either method yet but will later this evening

"Richard" wrote:

> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
> > Nope, if a Repair fails, rebuild is next.
> >
> > --
> > Mark L. Ferguson
> > FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> > "Andrew Stapleton" <andrew@nornospam.com.au> wrote in message news:urG1e$ylFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > > XP SP2 will not progress to Log on Screen
> > > Will boot in Safe Mode
> > > All appears normal up to where the Log on Screen should appear
> > > I have done a re install Repair and it ends up the same.
> > > Have run Chkdsk
> > > Any help greatly appreciated - hope i dont have to re install all those programs and settings.
> > > Andy Stapleton
> > >

> I'm running into this same problem...the only hardware change I have made to
> my system was the video card. So I switched it out with the OEM's and I'm
> still getting the same problem when i try to install SP2.
>
> Note: SP2 was on my system before I willing re-installed to partition my
> hard drive to make it duel bootable with server 2003, which has not happened
> yet do to this issue...
>
> Any Suggestions?

Thanks Mark - just what i feared.

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Nope, if a Repair fails, rebuild is next.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for Windows Antispy
> "Andrew Stapleton" <andrew@nornospam.com.au> wrote in message
>> XP SP2 will not progress to Log on Screen
>> Will boot in Safe Mode
>> All appears normal up to where the Log on Screen should appear
>> I have done a re install Repair and it ends up the same.
>> Have run Chkdsk
>> Any help greatly appreciated - hope i dont have to re install all those
>> programs and settings.
>> Andy Stapleton

Thanks Richard
This computer has been running SP2 ever since it was released so the
reference in your second message does not apply - right now i am hoping
someone hops in with another suggestion - but like Mark says - it is
starting to look like a new install. Thanks for your reply.