Google Upgrades Internet Explorer With Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
However it fails to address the real problem. Most companies havnt upgraded IE simply because of an Overworked, underpaid, IT staff. Many large companies here in the Silicon Valley are still running XP SP1. I have witnessed this on many occasions. With the simple effort it would take to put this on every computer, it would still be more simple to just update IE and or install Chrome flat out.

A simple deployment is no longer a simple deployment once you have 2 guys doing this on over 300 PC's at 11 at night.

extreme-pcs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Errr... not sure what happened above. As I was saying... Amen to that. 1200:1 computer to technician ratio here. It's insane.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]sicundercover[/nom]However it fails to address the real problem. Most companies havnt upgraded IE simply because of an Overworked, underpaid, IT staff. Many large companies here in the Silicon Valley are still running XP SP1. I have witnessed this on many occasions. With the simple effort it would take to put this on every computer, it would still be more simple to just update IE and or install Chrome flat out. A simple deployment is no longer a simple deployment once you have 2 guys doing this on over 300 PC's at 11 at night.[/citation]
You right and that is why Google's solution is brilliant. See when the employee visit a web page that has the meta tag set it will trigger the IE's automatic install of the needed plug-in. Unless the IT stuff has setup a policy that prevents the plug-in to be installed, all employees who needs HTML5 will get "upgraded" without any assistance from IT guys. Only problem I see is MS releasing and IE update that black-lists the Chrome Plug-in. If MS does that I can bet that European Commission will go after them with even bigger fine this time.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Sal-e, sicundercover is closer to reality with his statement than you may think. Having worked in IT for years and witness to the very scenarios described I can attest to the delicateness of the situation. Most places that are stuck on IE are indeed due to manpower and budget constraints but in most cases also have implemented security policies which do not allow for plug-in installation and which cannot be over-ridden. Though the Chrome Frame idea is a great one, I see limited potential use. I am currently a web developer and see no reason to run out and support this yet. It may be interesting to test, but let's not all jump for joy until we start seeing some applications of this and see how companies/users are reacting to it.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]major7up[/nom]Sal-e, sicundercover is closer to reality with his statement than you may think. Having worked in IT for years and witness to the very scenarios described I can attest to the delicateness of the situation. Most places that are stuck on IE are indeed due to manpower and budget constraints but in most cases also have implemented security policies which do not allow for plug-in installation and which cannot be over-ridden. Though the Chrome Frame idea is a great one, I see limited potential use. I am currently a web developer and see no reason to run out and support this yet. It may be interesting to test, but let's not all jump for joy until we start seeing some applications of this and see how companies/users are reacting to it.[/citation]
Yes. I know. I am in the same boat. That is why sicundercover got +1 from me. At the same time I see the potential of Google's approach. I can change the security policy in my AD and then the users will get upgraded without my assistance. So if you are web developer and you need extra feature offered by HTML5 you could take advantage now instead waiting for MS and overworked IT stuff to upgrade the IE. If this framework become popular the web developers will need only to support one standard version of their apps. I really wish you to benefit directly from that.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Sicundercover and exteme-pcs, you just need to sell dumb terminals/terminal servers to the brass, a lot less trouble and maintenance ;) And it saves money, and makes security much easier, and it's cheaper to maintain, and....well you get the point.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
working in a 600:1 environment, i can tell you the work installing this stuff is nothing compared to the time we'd spend explaining how to use it and why things look different than they would normally in vanilla IE6. seriously, our biggest daily issue is people being unable to print because they had a paper jam earlier and forgot to clear the job from the queue and now have 20 jobs lined up because they just kept pressing PRINT...

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]michaelahess[/nom]Sicundercover and exteme-pcs, you just need to sell dumb terminals/terminal servers to the brass, a lot less trouble and maintenance And it saves money, and makes security much easier, and it's cheaper to maintain, and....well you get the point.[/citation]

that won't werk when you have convoluted accounting software that runs on .NET and requires desktop MS SQL engines... let's not forget the backend licensing issues that come from terminal serving...

i really need to get out of municipal IT...

i_like_pie

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Being a web developer myself, I cringe everytime a new version of a browser, or a new browser all together comes out - nothing is more frustrating than having your css layout-based site look perfect in one browser, and fall apart in another - although things were supposed to be more consistent and standards based - seems to be going opposite! I hope this plug-in plays well with css . . . rant over

G

Internet Explorer 8 works great. I tried the chrome and I didn't notice any difference in speed and I uninstalled it because it has no home button to click on. Hard to get used to if you're used to IE

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
[citation][nom]michaelahess[/nom]Sicundercover and exteme-pcs, you just need to sell dumb terminals/terminal servers to the brass, a lot less trouble and maintenance And it saves money, and makes security much easier, and it's cheaper to maintain, and....well you get the point.[/citation]

That would have been a lot easier 5 years ago, but with the current economy its tough to get a single penny out of the Execs. You can try explaining things to them all you want but they just glaze over.

Status
Not open for further replies.