Cannot Boot from Windows XP install disk

August 2, 2005 10:44:34 AM

Well, I'm having all kinds of problems.

A storm knocked out my hard drive (through a surge protector). Dell
sent me a replacement and I installed Windows XP on it. I hooked up my
old hard drive to try to rescue stuff and, for a few hours, was able to
see the corrupted old hard drive because, at one point during the
evening among many reboots, the system did a diagnostic on the drive
where it repaired sectors and index files, etc. Eventually I could not
see the hard drive any more and I don't know how to get these
diagnostics to run again since the drive is not even recognized as
being there.

I apologize...I digress.

Anyways, I don't seem to have the drivers for my modem or my NIC and I
want to reinstall Windows XP but, even though I can boot up just fine
and run Windows, I cannot boot from the Windows XP installation CD at
all, even if I remove the (new) hard drive from the boot sequence. I
get "STOP: 0000221 Unknown Hard Error \SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll".
I seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Help!!
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:56:26 PM

lyne,
Just a guess here, but it sounds like not only do you need your Modem &
Nic drivers, you need the motherboard chipset drivers as well.
Please post the model number of your Dell.
Also, look at the back of your old hard drive and compare where the
jumpers are placed, they should be the same. (slave/master/or cable
select)

"Even though I can boot up just fine and run Windows, I cannot boot
from the Windows XP installation CD at all, even if I remove the (new)
hard drive from the boot sequence."

This is done in the bios by selecting the CD as the 1st. Boot device,
not by removing the hard drive.
Well it's a start, post back with more info so we can help.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman