Booting from CD drive

Can a Dell Dimension 8400 boot from the slave CD drive? Mine won't. Boots
from the master CD drive OK.

Brian
6 answers Last reply
More about booting drive

    "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Can a Dell Dimension 8400 boot from the slave CD drive? Mine won't. Boots
    > from the master CD drive OK.
    >
    > Brian

    Can you change the boot order in the BIOS? Is the slave CD listed in there
    as an option? It should be.

    No, there is only a single listing for CD drive.

    > No, there is only a single listing for CD drive.

    Try turning the Master PATA drive to off/disabled in BIOS.

    Stew

    Just tried your suggestion Stew. It does allow booting from the slave CD but
    the transfer rate of the Master changes from DMA to PIO. I've turned the
    Master drive ON again.

    > Just tried your suggestion Stew. It does allow booting from the slave CD
    > but the transfer rate of the Master changes from DMA to PIO. I've turned
    > the Master drive ON again.

    Okay, I misunderstood. I thought the entire point was to boot from the
    slave.

    So the answer to your original question is, yes, your system will boot from
    the slave CD drive.

    Cool.

    Stew

    I have a DVD burner as master, DVD reader as slave. I want the DVD reader
    drive to be the boot drive so I have a working burner in BartPE and Ghost 9.
    I'll swap the drives physically.

    > Okay, I misunderstood. I thought the entire point was to boot from the
    > slave.
    >
    > So the answer to your original question is, yes, your system will boot
    > from the slave CD drive.
    >
    > Cool.
    >

    > Stew

Dell Dimension CD Drives Computers