Booting from CD drive

Last response: in Computer Brands
May 24, 2005 3:10:44 AM

Can a Dell Dimension 8400 boot from the slave CD drive? Mine won't. Boots
from the master CD drive OK.

Brian

More about : booting drive

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:10:45 AM

"Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can a Dell Dimension 8400 boot from the slave CD drive? Mine won't. Boots
> from the master CD drive OK.
>
> Brian

Can you change the boot order in the BIOS? Is the slave CD listed in there
as an option? It should be.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:39:25 AM

No, there is only a single listing for CD drive.

> Can you change the boot order in the BIOS? Is the slave CD listed in
> there
> as an option? It should be.

May 24, 2005 3:39:26 AM

> No, there is only a single listing for CD drive.

Try turning the Master PATA drive to off/disabled in BIOS.

Stew
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 5:00:19 AM

Just tried your suggestion Stew. It does allow booting from the slave CD but
the transfer rate of the Master changes from DMA to PIO. I've turned the
Master drive ON again.

> Try turning the Master PATA drive to off/disabled in BIOS.
>
> Stew

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 5:00:20 AM

"Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 0vke.13146$E7.11423@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Just tried your suggestion Stew. It does allow booting from the slave CD
> but the transfer rate of the Master changes from DMA to PIO. I've turned
> the Master drive ON again.

Okay, I misunderstood. I thought the entire point was to boot from the
slave.

So the answer to your original question is, yes, your system will boot from
the slave CD drive.

Cool.

Stew
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 5:52:50 AM

I have a DVD burner as master, DVD reader as slave. I want the DVD reader
drive to be the boot drive so I have a working burner in BartPE and Ghost 9.
I'll swap the drives physically.

!