VPN to a PC in the same domain problems

Hi,
I'm having a few problems with XP and VPN. We have an industrial
ethernet subnet which we would like to join to our company network.
This will enable me to locate problems on machines in the comfort of my
office rather than having to drive / walk to them.
To improve the network security we are trying to use a D-Link DFL-200
to seperate the two subnets. All the subnets are on the same domain.
I've set up a test setup in the office to see if I can get it to work.
We thought that the most secure route we could could go down was the
VPN route. I've managed to get a PPTP connection to the DFL-200 using
the win xp vpn client, however when I make the connection my PC seems
to grind to a halt. If I try to open a program it can take up to 5
minutes to start. If I log on to the local machine instead of the
domain, the PC runs ok. So I'm assuming it has something to do with the
domain settings. Does anyone have any clues as to what to do?
Also once I'm connected via VPN on the local machine I'm sometimes
unable to ping the XP PRO2 machine? When I'm connected via vpn and the
vpn server gives me an IP address of 192.168.211.20X (where x = 1 to
10) and gateway of the same address id this correct? Or is this why
ping doesn't work?

For info the xp pro2 machine is a SCADA PC that is used to display the
telemetry of the machine and to provide data management. Also connected
to this subnet are PLC's (programmable logic controllers) that used to
control the machine. The SCADA PC has to be connected to the domain to
recieve virus updates, it also sends production reports to the server.

Some of the settings that I've used in the Office setup are:

Xp Pro1 IP:192.168.20.131
mask:255.255.255.0
gw:192.168.20.10
domain:FY
VPN PPTP Settings: Host:192.168.20.12 connect using a username and
password

VPN IP:192.168.211.201(assigned by dfl-200)
VPN MASK:255.255.255.255(assigned by dfl-200)
VPN GW:192.168.211.201(assigned by dfl-200)

D-Link DFL-200 WAN IP:192.168.20.12
LAN IP:192.168.211.10

VPN OUTER:192.168.20.12
VPN INNER:192.168.211.150

XP Pro2 IP:192.168.211.120
mask:255.255.255.0
gw:192.168.211.10
domain:FY

Any help or ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Rich
2 answers Last reply
More about domain problems

    How to use the Administration Tools Pack to remotely administer computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or
    Windows 2000:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304718

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "rich" <rich.fy@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message news:1122993658.881221.302830@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > Hi,
    > I'm having a few problems with XP and VPN. We have an industrial
    > ethernet subnet which we would like to join to our company network.
    > This will enable me to locate problems on machines in the comfort of my
    > office rather than having to drive / walk to them.
    > To improve the network security we are trying to use a D-Link DFL-200
    > to seperate the two subnets. All the subnets are on the same domain.
    > I've set up a test setup in the office to see if I can get it to work.
    > We thought that the most secure route we could could go down was the
    > VPN route. I've managed to get a PPTP connection to the DFL-200 using
    > the win xp vpn client, however when I make the connection my PC seems
    > to grind to a halt. If I try to open a program it can take up to 5
    > minutes to start. If I log on to the local machine instead of the
    > domain, the PC runs ok. So I'm assuming it has something to do with the
    > domain settings. Does anyone have any clues as to what to do?
    > Also once I'm connected via VPN on the local machine I'm sometimes
    > unable to ping the XP PRO2 machine? When I'm connected via vpn and the
    > vpn server gives me an IP address of 192.168.211.20X (where x = 1 to
    > 10) and gateway of the same address id this correct? Or is this why
    > ping doesn't work?
    >

    > For info the xp pro2 machine is a SCADA PC that is used to display the
    > telemetry of the machine and to provide data management. Also connected
    > to this subnet are PLC's (programmable logic controllers) that used to
    > control the machine. The SCADA PC has to be connected to the domain to
    > recieve virus updates, it also sends production reports to the server.
    >

    > Some of the settings that I've used in the Office setup are:
    >

    > Xp Pro1 IP:192.168.20.131
    > mask:255.255.255.0
    > gw:192.168.20.10
    > domain:FY
    > VPN PPTP Settings: Host:192.168.20.12 connect using a username and
    > password
    >
    > VPN IP:192.168.211.201(assigned by dfl-200)
    > VPN MASK:255.255.255.255(assigned by dfl-200)
    > VPN GW:192.168.211.201(assigned by dfl-200)
    >
    > D-Link DFL-200 WAN IP:192.168.20.12
    > LAN IP:192.168.211.10
    >
    > VPN OUTER:192.168.20.12
    > VPN INNER:192.168.211.150
    >

    > XP Pro2 IP:192.168.211.120
    > mask:255.255.255.0
    > gw:192.168.211.10
    > domain:FY
    >

    > Any help or ideas would be gratefully appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    >

    > Rich

    I might be jumping in late here, and haven't read the original post
    completely enough to offer much advice, but one thing comes to mind when I
    saw the bit about having trouble testing the VPN connection: depending on
    how things are set up, if you create a VPN connection to a machine that is
    on the same subnet as you, you can get two separate connections - one
    direct (that you had before you established the VPN), and one through the
    VPN connection. Each connection may even have its own IP number - you can
    check for this by using IPCONFIG/ALL and see if there are two IP numbers
    listed. This creates a loop, where there are two paths to the machines on
    the same subnet, and this can slow things way down, if not kill the
    connections totally. To really test things, you may need to have a
    router/firewall in between your test machines to simulate what will happen
    in the real case.
    Another thing that will sometimes happen is that you may see a message
    about there being duplicate names on the network, since the VPN client will
    appear to be on the subnet twice (at two separate IP numbers).

Domain vpn Windows XP