Unreal Tournament & artefacts

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yesterday i was playing UT for a number of hours :) :) :)

when all of a sudden wierd things started happening.
the textured surfaces went from smooth to... well... hard to say.
kinda outta sync, jagged, with the edges of each flat surface visible with jagged lines.
when i looked at the red flag in my CTF game it was partially see through and i could see all the individual triangles in it.

when i exited to win2k, some icons were also corrupted, but not the taskbar.

a reboot made everything fine.
im using 12.40 drivers

is it a driver problem? a game problem? or my card overheating?
i ahve a gigabyte ga 660 plus (TNT2 pro) in turbo mode 175core & 175mem.
i put my fingers onto the heatsink on the rear of the card. it was hot to touch, but not burning. about normal i though.
note: i put the jumper back on the card to remove the turbo mode and set it back to normal (150 & 150mhz) and havnt seen the problem again... YET (havnt played for hours yet :) )

also of note is that i WAS using the latter 12.90 drivers, but UT kept crashing with the blue screen of deat saying that nv_disp4.dll was bad somehow (forgotten exactly what it was)

thanx in advance

My Hamster doesnt like sarcasm. He may very well bite you in your hard to reach places!

G

It just happens sometimes, even with me! maybe once a week, just a very minor glitch. I can't say about my GF2MX that it is hot, I have a fan on GPU and heatsinks on memory chips and now it pretty warm but not very. Videocard after playing hours of UT MUST be VERY hot!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
too hot? not especially. like i said the back heatsink was quite warm, but no where near burning.

ive always had doubts about my gigabyte card

back in the days of lore (i.e. cellery500), i had a viper 770. non ultra. no fan.
i overclocked the crap out of that. i really pushed it waaaay beyond what it should have done, in a hot room, in a hot box.
and it never gave me artefacts while running "within spec"
by that i mean feasable overclocking spec.
its default was 125core 150 mem.
i had that poor thing up to 157 core rock solid, & 205 mem!
and it didnt even have a fan!
burningly hot

yet for some reason my crap tnt2 pro (gigabyte 660 plus) has given me nothing but trouble, on my old system and new, win 98 or 2k.
its got a special "certified" turbo mode, but i really dont think its stable.
infact i have doubts about standard too.
and when i tried to push my gigabyte card, there was no well defined limit. i.e. on the tnt2 i could do 157 core but not 158. locked up after 15 secs.
the mem would do 205 without artefacts, 212 with wierd green dots.
this gigabyte card just randomly locks up... even when i try the same settings twice *sigh*

givent he prices of cards here, i cant even afford a MX. not that i want one, not enough performance diff for my liking.

My Hamster doesnt like sarcasm. He may very well bite you in your hard to reach places!

G

Well my MX performs almost like a bad GTS card I o'clocked it 250/250 - stable. It just happens, sometimes once a year - sometimes every time you play. I dn't think it is a videocard. I don't know why, but I NEVER had any problems with hardware. I only ask questions here to know and usually when I need to buy something.

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Which version of directX are you running? I've started getting artefacts in UT since I upgraded to Dx8 before that it was fine. I'm running a TNT2 Pro at 185/175.

Look at the size of that thing!