Can't log on : cycles to log off

When I try to log on the dialog box cycles through "retrieving user
settings"... "logging off"... "saving user settings"... and then returns me
to a log in screen.

The log in screen is more like an NT screen with fields for user ID and
password rather than the XP screen with a button for my users.

I have tried my ID, "XP" and "Administrator" with similar results.

I installed xp service pack 2 about a week ago.

Just before this occured the computer reported "lost or damaged clusters on
startup and I allowed it to go through the repair process. The only file
listed as damaged had nothing to do with start up [thumbs.db in my pictures]

Thanks

You have let some virus or spyware trash the system. Putting on SP2 probably just made the damage apparent.

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"nhmcclure" <nhmcclure@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA7391EE-90EB-44F4-822A-90773E6B131B@microsoft.com...
> When I try to log on the dialog box cycles through "retrieving user
> settings"... "logging off"... "saving user settings"... and then returns me
> to a log in screen.
>
> The log in screen is more like an NT screen with fields for user ID and
> password rather than the XP screen with a button for my users.
>
> I have tried my ID, "XP" and "Administrator" with similar results.
>
> I installed xp service pack 2 about a week ago.
>
> Just before this occured the computer reported "lost or damaged clusters on
> startup and I allowed it to go through the repair process. The only file
> listed as damaged had nothing to do with start up [thumbs.db in my pictures]
>
> Thanks

Thanks Mark!

What worked was a link on the page "how to perform an XP repair install"
that led to http://www.digitalwebcast.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658-0.
I would have tried your suggestion, but the link had dire warnings about
backing up everything beforehand. I was a week out of date and did not want
to risk losing my newest stuff.

Once again Thanks!