Inquisitor

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002

I have a nasty bug on my comp, and I want to roll back my system restore to
as far back as is humanly possable, but it says it can only take me back a
few weeks. I have had this comp for over 2 years, I should be able to go back
farther right? What can I do to push back past this bug?

here is some info on system restore.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx

If you have a bug/virus/Trojan/worm, etc, system restore likely will not
help, and may re-infect your pc.
Your best bet is to turn system restore off, and run all your programs for
virus's etc.. while in safe mode. Make sure they are up-to-date.
Some good programs are,
Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware SE, Spyware Blaster, and whatever you have
for anti virus.

"Inquisitor" <Inquisitor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a nasty bug on my comp, and I want to roll back my system restore to
> as far back as is humanly possable, but it says it can only take me back a
> few weeks. I have had this comp for over 2 years, I should be able to go
> back
> farther right? What can I do to push back past this bug?

Hi,

By default, System Restore holds restore points for 90 days. The size of the restore
points and the amount of disk space allocated to them will also affect the this number.
Using a restore point more than a week old could cause more problems than it fixes.

Here are some tips on adjusting disk space and keeping System Restore Healthy.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User