Windows Update Not Working

I was checking my system when I realised my win xp has not had any security
patch updated since Feb 05! A closer check discovered that instead of auto
updating as I had assumed, it failed. When I tried to update, it feedback :

**********
Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed
on your computer. To continue:

Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem

**********
When I clicked the first one, it proceeded to download 100%, register 100%
and then went back to the update page. I click "express" and it comes to the
above error page again. Continues in this loop. Clicking the second option
above brought me through endless useless "help" pages that seem to tell me
nothing and offered no real solution.

Anyone can help on this. Appreciate your assistance.
Should I re-install ?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.
9 answers Last reply
More about windows update working

    You cannot install some updates or programs: Go to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798&Product=winxp

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "RSKT" <abc-seahkt@cyberway.com.sg> wrote in message news:dco2av$j8b$1@mawar.singnet.com.sg...
    >I was checking my system when I realised my win xp has not had any security patch updated since Feb 05! A closer check discovered
    >that instead of auto updating as I had assumed, it failed. When I tried to update, it feedback :
    >
    > **********
    > Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:
    >
    > Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
    > Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem
    >
    > **********
    > When I clicked the first one, it proceeded to download 100%, register 100% and then went back to the update page. I click
    > "express" and it comes to the above error page again. Continues in this loop. Clicking the second option above brought me through
    > endless useless "help" pages that seem to tell me nothing and offered no real solution.
    >
    > Anyone can help on this. Appreciate your assistance.
    > Should I re-install ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

    Thanks Mark.
    Nogo on the solutions indicated. Is there anyway I can manually uninstall
    the microsoft update and re-install it? seems somewhere the files are
    corrupted.
    it keeps on reporting update files not there, re-installs and then report
    the same fault again...
    OR is there anyway I can update these patches manually via a download like
    in the old days?

    thanks in advance

    "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You cannot install some updates or programs: Go to:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798&Product=winxp
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for Windows Antispy
    > "RSKT" <abc-seahkt@cyberway.com.sg> wrote in message
    >>I was checking my system when I realised my win xp has not had any
    >>security patch updated since Feb 05! A closer check discovered that
    >>instead of auto updating as I had assumed, it failed. When I tried to
    >>update, it feedback :
    >>
    >> **********
    >> Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or
    >> installed on your computer. To continue:
    >>
    >> Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
    >> Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem
    >>
    >> **********
    >> When I clicked the first one, it proceeded to download 100%, register
    >> 100% and then went back to the update page. I click "express" and it
    >> comes to the above error page again. Continues in this loop. Clicking the
    >> second option above brought me through endless useless "help" pages that
    >> seem to tell me nothing and offered no real solution.
    >>
    >> Anyone can help on this. Appreciate your assistance.
    >> Should I re-install ?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

    There is a Windows Catalog on the update site. (start/all programs/windows update)

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "RSKT" <abc-seahkt@cyberway.com.sg> wrote in message news:dd5aop$2m2$1@mawar.singnet.com.sg...
    > Thanks Mark.
    > Nogo on the solutions indicated. Is there anyway I can manually uninstall the microsoft update and re-install it? seems somewhere
    > the files are corrupted.
    > it keeps on reporting update files not there, re-installs and then report the same fault again...
    > OR is there anyway I can update these patches manually via a download like in the old days?
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >

    > "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OIvQ%23JEmFHA.3816@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> You cannot install some updates or programs: Go to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798&Product=winxp
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >> "RSKT" <abc-seahkt@cyberway.com.sg> wrote in message news:dco2av$j8b$1@mawar.singnet.com.sg...
    >>>I was checking my system when I realised my win xp has not had any security patch updated since Feb 05! A closer check discovered
    >>>that instead of auto updating as I had assumed, it failed. When I tried to update, it feedback :
    >>>
    >>> **********
    >>> Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:
    >>>
    >>> Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
    >>> Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem
    >>>
    >>> **********
    >>> When I clicked the first one, it proceeded to download 100%, register 100% and then went back to the update page. I click
    >>> "express" and it comes to the above error page again. Continues in this loop. Clicking the second option above brought me
    >>> through endless useless "help" pages that seem to tell me nothing and offered no real solution.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone can help on this. Appreciate your assistance.
    >>> Should I re-install ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

    I am having the same issues. I have been trying to download this update (the
    security patch) for months but it always gives me an error when it tries to
    install. Everytime I try to do it again or follow any help links (including
    the previous suggestions) I just get the same thing again. The catalog
    suggested below gave me the same thing that it has said everytime; it
    searches for updates, tells me that I need the same one, and fails to install.

    Any suggestions? This is driving me nuts!

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > There is a Windows Catalog on the update site. (start/all programs/windows update)
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "RSKT" <abc-seahkt@cyberway.com.sg> wrote in message news:dd5aop$2m2$1@mawar.singnet.com.sg...
    > > Thanks Mark.
    > > Nogo on the solutions indicated. Is there anyway I can manually uninstall the microsoft update and re-install it? seems somewhere
    > > the files are corrupted.
    > > it keeps on reporting update files not there, re-installs and then report the same fault again...
    > > OR is there anyway I can update these patches manually via a download like in the old days?
    > >
    > > thanks in advance
    > >

    > > "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OIvQ%23JEmFHA.3816@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > >> You cannot install some updates or programs: Go to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798&Product=winxp
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Mark L. Ferguson
    > >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

    You receive a "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page" error message when you try to install
    an update:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883614

    You receive an error message when you try to install Windows XP updates from the Windows Update Web site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829786

    Windows Update Site Lists Updates That You Already Installed:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319109

    Windows Update Is Not Installed:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811269

    "naw03" <naw03@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70C9FC69-4171-46B8-BBF0-F91126CAEDAB@microsoft.com...
    >I am having the same issues. I have been trying to download this update (the
    > security patch) for months but it always gives me an error when it tries to
    > install. Everytime I try to do it again or follow any help links (including
    > the previous suggestions) I just get the same thing again. The catalog
    > suggested below gave me the same thing that it has said everytime; it
    > searches for updates, tells me that I need the same one, and fails to install.
    >
    > Any suggestions? This is driving me nuts!
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> There is a Windows Catalog on the update site. (start/all programs/windows update)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >> "RSKT" <abc-seahkt@cyberway.com.sg> wrote in message news:dd5aop$2m2$1@mawar.singnet.com.sg...
    >> > Thanks Mark.
    >> > Nogo on the solutions indicated. Is there anyway I can manually uninstall the microsoft update and re-install it? seems
    >> > somewhere
    >> > the files are corrupted.
    >> > it keeps on reporting update files not there, re-installs and then report the same fault again...
    >> > OR is there anyway I can update these patches manually via a download like in the old days?
    >> >
    >> > thanks in advance

    First link is not applicable. I'm not having trouble with any page
    displaying, it just won't install.

    The second link isn't applicable either, because the error message is not
    the one that they are addressing in the help link.

    The third link is of no help. It just tells me that I've had errors for six
    months in installing this update.

    The fourth link was of no help as it did not address the problem that I was
    having (can't install after download).

    I tried the suggestions in the last link. Some of them didn't do anything,
    but the suggestions that DID do something still didn't allow me to update my
    computer.

    None of these things helped. I don't think this problem can be addressed
    via help links. I download and then, during installiation, it just tells me
    that I can't install. It's told me this for months. Nothing I've done has
    helped this. Thanks for your effort in helping.

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > You receive a "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page" error message when you try to install
    > an update:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883614
    >
    > You receive an error message when you try to install Windows XP updates from the Windows Update Web site:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829786
    >
    > Windows Update Site Lists Updates That You Already Installed:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319109
    >
    > Windows Update Is Not Installed:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811269
    >
    > You cannot install some updates or programs:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798
    >

    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "naw03" <naw03@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70C9FC69-4171-46B8-BBF0-F91126CAEDAB@microsoft.com...
    > >I am having the same issues. I have been trying to download this update (the
    > > security patch) for months but it always gives me an error when it tries to
    > > install. Everytime I try to do it again or follow any help links (including
    > > the previous suggestions) I just get the same thing again. The catalog
    > > suggested below gave me the same thing that it has said everytime; it
    > > searches for updates, tells me that I need the same one, and fails to install.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? This is driving me nuts!
    > >
    > > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> There is a Windows Catalog on the update site. (start/all programs/windows update)
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Mark L. Ferguson
    > >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

    yup, looked through them but none refers to my problem but thanks for the
    help , Mark.

    naw03, did you get the same fault message as me?

    regards

    > First link is not applicable. I'm not having trouble with any page
    > displaying, it just won't install.
    >
    > The second link isn't applicable either, because the error message is not
    > the one that they are addressing in the help link.
    >
    > The third link is of no help. It just tells me that I've had errors for
    > six
    > months in installing this update.
    >
    > The fourth link was of no help as it did not address the problem that I
    > was
    > having (can't install after download).
    >
    > I tried the suggestions in the last link. Some of them didn't do
    > anything,
    > but the suggestions that DID do something still didn't allow me to update
    > my
    > computer.
    >
    > None of these things helped. I don't think this problem can be addressed
    > via help links. I download and then, during installiation, it just tells
    > me
    > that I can't install. It's told me this for months. Nothing I've done
    > has
    > helped this. Thanks for your effort in helping.
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> You receive a "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display
    >> the requested page" error message when you try to install
    >> an update:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883614
    >>
    >> You receive an error message when you try to install Windows XP updates
    >> from the Windows Update Web site:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829786
    >>
    >> Windows Update Site Lists Updates That You Already Installed:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319109
    >>
    >> Windows Update Is Not Installed:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811269
    >>
    >> You cannot install some updates or programs:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy
    >> "naw03" <naw03@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am having the same issues. I have been trying to download this update
    >> >(the
    >> > security patch) for months but it always gives me an error when it
    >> > tries to
    >> > install. Everytime I try to do it again or follow any help links
    >> > (including
    >> > the previous suggestions) I just get the same thing again. The catalog
    >> > suggested below gave me the same thing that it has said everytime; it
    >> > searches for updates, tells me that I need the same one, and fails to
    >> > install.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions? This is driving me nuts!

    Have you tried downloading Active X then restarting.

    | yup, looked through them but none refers to my problem but thanks for the
    | help , Mark.
    |
    | naw03, did you get the same fault message as me?
    |
    | regards
    |
    | "naw03" <naw03@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > First link is not applicable. I'm not having trouble with any page
    | > displaying, it just won't install.
    | >
    | > The second link isn't applicable either, because the error message is
    not
    | > the one that they are addressing in the help link.
    | >
    | > The third link is of no help. It just tells me that I've had errors for
    | > six
    | > months in installing this update.
    | >
    | > The fourth link was of no help as it did not address the problem that I
    | > was
    | > having (can't install after download).
    | >
    | > I tried the suggestions in the last link. Some of them didn't do
    | > anything,
    | > but the suggestions that DID do something still didn't allow me to
    update
    | > my
    | > computer.
    | >
    | > None of these things helped. I don't think this problem can be
    addressed
    | > via help links. I download and then, during installiation, it just
    tells
    | > me
    | > that I can't install. It's told me this for months. Nothing I've done
    | > has
    | > helped this. Thanks for your effort in helping.
    | >
    | > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    | >
    | >> You receive a "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot
    display
    | >> the requested page" error message when you try to install
    | >> an update:
    | >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883614
    | >>
    | >> You receive an error message when you try to install Windows XP updates
    | >> from the Windows Update Web site:
    | >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829786
    | >>
    | >> Windows Update Site Lists Updates That You Already Installed:
    | >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319109
    | >>
    | >> Windows Update Is Not Installed:
    | >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811269
    | >>
    | >> You cannot install some updates or programs:
    | >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798
    | >>

    | >> --
    | >> Mark L. Ferguson
    | >> FAQ for Windows Antispy
    | >> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    | >> "naw03" <naw03@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798&Product=winxp

    someone from my local pocket pc forum recommended I do the following :

    On the Start/Run line: regsvr32 MSXML3.dll

    and it works! my windows can update again...
    thanks all for your offer of help..
    cheers

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP