Keyboard shortcut... or is it?

Just purchased a Toshiba notebook. When trying to type a capital letter
using shift and a letter key, specifically the 'B, A, and N' keys, on the
desktop (for functions like renaming a folder) it will highlight the nearest
icon with that respective letter. If i'm in a word processing program,
Shift+B, A, or N results in a new line, like hitting the 'Enter' key. What's
going on?

Thanks in advance...
3 answers Last reply
More about keyboard shortcut

    Visit the Toshiba Support web site and click on
    "Search with Ask Iris".
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "tme2shne" wrote:

    | Just purchased a Toshiba notebook. When trying to type a capital letter
    | using shift and a letter key, specifically the 'B, A, and N' keys, on the
    | desktop (for functions like renaming a folder) it will highlight the nearest
    | icon with that respective letter. If i'm in a word processing program,
    | Shift+B, A, or N results in a new line, like hitting the 'Enter' key. What's
    | going on?
    |
    | Thanks in advance...

    UPDATE: Ok, after scouring the web and perplexing Toshiba Tech Support, I
    still don't have a fix. Tech Support told me to run the recovery CD, which
    i'm trying to avoid. I have exacted the situation, here goes: When pushing
    any one of five keys (\, B, N, A, ~) with the LEFT Shift key, it does the
    same thing as hitting the 'Enter' key. It is only the left shift key that
    does this. All of the keys function properly except in this situation... no
    problem with those five keys unless used with the left shift key. I'm now in
    the process of downloading SharpKeys, a key remapping program, just to see if
    I can create a workaround... Let me know of any ideas!

    Your new laptop may have come with a defective keyboard.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "tme2shne" wrote:

    | UPDATE: Ok, after scouring the web and perplexing Toshiba Tech Support, I
    | still don't have a fix. Tech Support told me to run the recovery CD, which
    | i'm trying to avoid. I have exacted the situation, here goes: When pushing
    | any one of five keys (\, B, N, A, ~) with the LEFT Shift key, it does the
    | same thing as hitting the 'Enter' key. It is only the left shift key that
    | does this. All of the keys function properly except in this situation... no
    | problem with those five keys unless used with the left shift key. I'm now in
    | the process of downloading SharpKeys, a key remapping program, just to see if
    | I can create a workaround... Let me know of any ideas!

Keyboards Windows XP