DD Blonde w/GF3& Monitor Question :)

G

This post is pretty much an exact copy of one I just put in the CRT section and it MOSTLY is a monitor question BUT if you kindly read through I do have a concern regarding my "soon to arrive" system with a GeForce 3 card and what kind of monitor to buy along with it. I ALMOST ordered a SGI 1600W today but worry about the video card connecting/adapter thing etc but this is all in the post.

To reiterate I hope I didnt break any rule by placing this post in both places. I wanted to get as much response as possible as soon as possible so I can get SOME KIND OF MONITOR ordered!!! :)

anyway here's my post from the CRT section.....

Sorry about the DD blonde thing-I am both things and just couldnt resist cheating a bit to get my post read. I need to get this monitor ordered SOON!!! LOL :)

Finally the other day someone mentioned the IBM 21inch monitor!! (hatimh)

My husband does not often say "go ahead & order a new computer and monitor!! I may not get this opportunity again for years so I want to get a GORGEOUS MONITOR!! Something that's just plain a delight to look at!! Oh and the bad part-it has to be black like the system I just ordered.

If I get a CRT I'd really like to get the IBM P260 because if I have to get a CRT I'd at least like it to be BIG! Damned if I could find one person that had that model until I saw a post by hatimh though. Please tell me about this monitor Hatimh. The money part doesnt "REALLY" bother me-if the monitors great.

However, I cant help but wonder if there's a black flat panel out there, maybe 17inches that would be a better buy if I wont get this chance again. I thought of getting the SGi 1600W but it seems so complicated with the video card thing & I dont know how it would work with a GeForce 3 thru their "adapter." I wish I could dig up more info. on the flat panels from HAPPY owners. As with someone else who posted here I think I'd die if I had to stare at some out of place dot (dead pixel) & that's one thing to scare you back to the world of CRT's. Anyone have a black flat panel (less than $1500) that they're in love with?

I'm not going to proof read this because I know darn well I babbled on and on and I"m sorry. I'm rushing.......

Looking forward to "talking" to some of you in the future. You seem like a "great bunch" of people.... I read your posts all the time but until today didnt take the time to post.

Barb

JerseyGirl

FatBurger

Illustrious
Geez, talk about using a subject line to attract people who'll answer your question.
It would've worked except that I noticed you're married.

J/k, I don't know much about monitors.

Ah, shoot, I'll do what I can. IBM monitors aren't as nice as some other brands. Look for a Viewsonic or Samsung 21" perfect flat monitor. You can spray paint it black if you really need it to be (but be CAREFUL, for crying out loud :)

A 17" TFT will be expensive. VERY expensive. But if you're going with TFT, rememeber that you need a video card with digital out.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

I have the SGI flat panel, and I jsut go the multilink adapter today so it will work with my new system. My advice is to buy it. They are discontinuing the monitor so its going cheap ( i bought it at $3000, now its 1200 INCLUDING the $500 adapter).

ALthough it is being disocntinued it is one of the best flat panel's out there. THe dot pitch and brightness is high end. Their is the 'hassle' of the adapter, but it is nto so bad.

On your system you would plug the mintor and the adapter into power outlets. Then you would take A DVI cable from your geforce3 to the multilink adapter, (if your geforce only has a VGA out, there is a VGA to DVI cable included, whcih you use instead, with equal quality). Then you connect the monitor to the multilink using the cable from the monitor (their special digital format). THis is pretty easy to setup, with the only 'downside' being a few wires and the multilink adapter on the desk making it alittle cluttered, but i spent a little while makign it neat and it looks fine.

Luckily you have a geforce3 which is one of the few cards which support the 1600 X1024 resolution the monitor needs.

I have the RADEON card, and I had to edit a registry entry to acces the rgith resolution (website told me how), but I think for the GeForce it is easier, but it definatley supports it.

Well thats my opinion, hope it helps.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well DD Blonde, I recommend the Sony GDM-FW900. Something I've been drooling over too. Anyways it is a 24" Trinitron with a 16:10 aspect ratio vice the normal 4:3 ratio. What this means is that it is a wide display very close to a HDTV format. It has awesome specs and you can betcha baby it cost the moolala. Its around $1700 in short before shipping costs. The GF3 and that would be a pretty awesome rig. A very nice Double Duet. Here is a link to strut over for the marvelous monitor. There are cheaper prices on the net but this one had a picture. Now please, I beg of you, don't tell me that this will be used for only solataire and internet browsing, PLEASE!! In any case your husband jaws will probably drop open for your many wise choices and new wise friends. Just make sure you buy him a joystick.

<A HREF="http://www.aberdeeninc.com/abcatg/CRI208.htm" target="_new">http://www.aberdeeninc.com/abcatg/CRI208.htm</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 06/29/01 11:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I had a chance to see this monitor at College in the presentaional tech dept. I will aggree with Noko, this is the most beutifull monitor I have ever seen! Also, Sony has the reputation as having the best picture/color/graphic quality in the buisness, mainly because of their Trinitron Tube. If you Husband is shocked at the sticker price, I beleive the monitor includes a 3 year warranty. Here is the official Sony <A HREF="http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/displays/gdm_fw900.htm" target="_new">Site</A>
Sony also shows you their other monitors, all of which are high quality and should last you at least 6 years with moderate use. With shipping, it is ~$1800.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

I did notice they are discontinuing the 1600W-have you heard if they are replacing it with a new model or are they simply calling it quits with this one. That makes me nervous about buying one-about support with it in the future.

My system is not yet here & I do have time I'm sure to switch video cards. I really had my heart set on the GF3 but I'm curious about this "oxygen" card that the 1600W sometimes comes bundled with. Do you think they are that much less quality than the GeF3 cards? One site was offering the 1600W with a oxygen card for $1,200.

This whole thing is making me a wreck. I change my mind from moment to moment! CRT-LCD-CRT-LCD ugh!!!

Oh and by the way to whomever asked-YES definately a girl, not a guy trying to get quick answer-LOL :)

Barb
PS-the painting a CRT monitor black was an idea I savored for awhile til I remembered the horrible messes I've made in my life painting things-it's definately not one of my talents!! Too bad because I'd love to go buy one of these top rated 21 inch monitors & simply paint it black!!

JerseyGirl

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I really would recommend buying yourself an LCD. It will definetly add to the look of your computer. Instead of buying a 17" LCD, why not get a 16"- such as the L471 from Eizo. It's a really great monitor, or you can get the 1600SW- although I have heard it has had some problems....
Anyway, the Sony doesn't look too great- sorry to all out there who like it, the design is plain, and such an aspect ratio would really piss off your video card. In addition, the Oxygen cards aren't terribly great at games- if you want something that will allow you to play games, stck with the GeForce 3. There are 17" models out there that are great- I'll take a look at some.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
GF3 really excells in 3d graphics such as games, its 2d is reported to be better then the GF2 series but not as good as a Matrox or a Radeon. What do you want to do with your computer? Different graphic cards have different strengths and also weaknesses so if you tell us what you are going to do with this then we can recommend accordingly. I am sure the GF3 can drive that 24" Sony monitor without any problems. I really don't know enough about LCD monitors to help you out there, not sure how good they are for games and or videos. Let us know.

G

Yeah, I hear they are replacing it with a new monitor in july....but that's tomarrow and I have only hear this from sales guy...so I cdont think it can be out for a while.

I hear though it is gonna be worse than the current one, the dot pitch is worse (although it is still top of the line, compared w/ other LCDs). It will also be a regular ratio LCD, not widescreen like the one now. I dont knwo what size, but it will be more expensive too, like 2000, so its prob. not worth waiting for it.

I was nervous too...about support, but I decided I never really have problems anyway, and they said they will still support their old monitor.

I don't know what your using your card for. I personally dont play games, so i got an ATI RADEON VE card which is better 2D. If you play games get the gf3. Make sure you get only a radeon, nvidia card, or oxygen, cause not many other cards support the right resolutions.

THe oxygen card is a ~$200 card, but ~$450 for the one that works with the monitor. Its prob better to buy an adapter, cuz if you ever wnat to upgrade your card, your gonna have to pay for the adpater then. Also, while maybe some reseller sell it bundled, SGI no longer sells it bundled with the card anymore, cuz of issues it created on odler systems. yours is new, but i wouldnt risk it, i mean, SGI wont. THe only real advantage to gettign the oxygen i think, is mayeb it is cheaper, and you wont need the adapter on your desk, clearing some space and making it 'simpler' although the screen quality would be euqal.