Problem establishing wireless LAN

Hi, I've got a brand new LG M50-3 notebook, and a Netcom MP5400 Access
point. Sometimes it manages to make a connection, but then it
intermittently drops out, and I can't figure out why. I'm running XP
Professional, have got all the latest upgrades drivers etc. The Access
point is connected to an ADSL modem which works fine, and if browsing on
other PCs in the network I can go to any sites I want without a problem,
however some sites just refuse to come up using the Notebook. Originally I
set it up with maximum security, but now in just trying to get the
connection working, I have disabled all the security, and am not using a
firewall of any sort.
I had a friend come over, and they could connect using their Compaq laptop
with minimal configuration - no problems.
Unfortunately I don't know anyone else who has a wireless network
established for me to test the notebook.
Possible problems as I see it -
The Access point is faulty - Possible, as I have since read reviews on
Netcom which don't recommend them, however it did work fine with the Compaq.
The Notebook is faulty - Possible but I have no way of testing it, I checked
with the supplier and they have not had any problems with the networks, and
have had no returns etc
I have the configuration wrong - This is possible too, I'm pretty competent
when it comes to networks in general, but this is the first time I've played
around with wireless so I guess there's something I may be missing.

I would really appreciate any suggestions/comments/tests I could try that
may help.

Thanks

fearless

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:11:54 +0930, an amazing collection of words uttered
forth from MaChelle

> Hi, I've got a brand new LG M50-3 notebook, and a Netcom MP5400 Access
> point. Sometimes it manages to make a connection, but then it
> intermittently drops out, and I can't figure out why. I'm running XP
> Professional, have got all the latest upgrades drivers etc. The Access
> point is connected to an ADSL modem which works fine, and if browsing on
> other PCs in the network I can go to any sites I want without a problem,
> however some sites just refuse to come up using the Notebook. Originally I
> set it up with maximum security, but now in just trying to get the
> connection working, I have disabled all the security, and am not using a
> firewall of any sort.
> I had a friend come over, and they could connect using their Compaq laptop
> with minimal configuration - no problems.
> Unfortunately I don't know anyone else who has a wireless network
> established for me to test the notebook.
> Possible problems as I see it -
> The Access point is faulty - Possible, as I have since read reviews on
> Netcom which don't recommend them, however it did work fine with the Compaq.
> The Notebook is faulty - Possible but I have no way of testing it, I checked
> with the supplier and they have not had any problems with the networks, and
> have had no returns etc
> I have the configuration wrong - This is possible too, I'm pretty competent
> when it comes to networks in general, but this is the first time I've played
> around with wireless so I guess there's something I may be missing.

My guess is that the problem is with the internal wireless NIC in your
notebook computer. If you have a local Starbucks it might be worthwhile
to spend a few bucks to try accessing their wireless hotspot. If you
can't get in to a public wireless network, then you've got additional
evidence of a defective notebook card.

HTH

--
Marc "Fearless" Feldesman

"No retreat ... no surrender" Bruce Springsteen