will a salvaged 98se hard drive operate with XP

My old 98se computer will not boot. It freezes just as the desk top starts
to load.
I need to use the AutoCAD 14 program that's on it's hard drive.
Can I take the hard drive out of the old computer and install it, as a
second hard drive, on my XP machine?
Will I then be able to click on the AutoCAD.exe and run the program?
(I no longer have the 98SE disk or the AutoCAD disk)
5 answers Last reply
More about will salvaged 98se hard drive operate

    All you can hope for is to read files from the old drive, so you could
    "rescue" user-created auto-cad files, also DOC, JPG, etc.

    However, it is most unlikely that the Autocad program will work. Autocad is
    probably not a simple DOS-type program that is a single executable file.
    Rather, it is a large collections of files and registry (windows database)
    entires. Worse, it is likely that the version of Autocad that worked under
    98 would not work under XP, or would require some patches.

    If your copy of Autocad is an official copy, and you took the time to
    "register" it, contact the program maker for the price for a replacement CD
    and/or an upgrade to the latest version.

    "calhoun" <builderpaul@"pants".invalid> wrote in message
    > My old 98se computer will not boot. It freezes just as the desk top starts
    > to load.
    > I need to use the AutoCAD 14 program that's on it's hard drive.
    > Can I take the hard drive out of the old computer and install it, as a
    > second hard drive, on my XP machine?
    > Will I then be able to click on the AutoCAD.exe and run the program?
    > (I no longer have the 98SE disk or the AutoCAD disk)

    No. You need to find your CDs and perform a clean install.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    calhoun wrote:
    > My old 98se computer will not boot. It freezes just as the desk top starts
    > to load.
    > I need to use the AutoCAD 14 program that's on it's hard drive.
    > Can I take the hard drive out of the old computer and install it, as a
    > second hard drive, on my XP machine?

    Yes.

    > Will I then be able to click on the AutoCAD.exe and run the program?
    > (I no longer have the 98SE disk or the AutoCAD disk)

    No. You'll need to obtain replacement installation media for AutoCAD
    and install it before you can use it.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    No, you would need to install autocad onto the XP machine.

    Neil

    "" wrote:
    > My old 98se computer will not boot. It freezes just as the
    > desk top starts
    > to load.
    > I need to use the AutoCAD 14 program that's on it's hard
    > drive.
    > Can I take the hard drive out of the old computer and install
    > it, as a
    > second hard drive, on my XP machine?
    > Will I then be able to click on the AutoCAD.exe and run the
    > program?
    > (I no longer have the 98SE disk or the AutoCAD disk)

    probably, should work, how ever there is a chance it wont work because
    any nessasery registary entries may be missing, but it’s worth a try
    at least.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-salvaged-98se-hard-drive-operate-XP-ftopict403859.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1337665

Computers CAD Hard Drives Windows XP Product