How to reformat Windows XP

I want to reformat my hard drive, which is running Windows XP Home Sp1.
How would I go about doing this without a floop drive to make a
bootdisk with?
7 answers Last reply
More about reformat windows

    I put the Win XP Cd in and there isnt an option to uninstall

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    Note: If you are unable to activate Windows XP again via the internet,
    then select the option to "activate by telephone".

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Dee" <OrganizedMayhem@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I put the Win XP Cd in and there isnt an option to uninstall

    You reboot the machine with the XP CD, not run it from within Windows. You
    then start a new install, and are careful to select the drive and format it.
    It's possible to go right by those options.

    HTH
    -pk

    This article may be helpful:

    "How to Reinstall Windows Without Losing Your Data"
    http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2109p156id111652.htm

    >I want to reformat my hard drive, which is running Windows XP Home Sp1.
    > How would I go about doing this without a floop drive to make a
    > bootdisk with?

    Use winxp cd

    "Donny Broome" <broomeman@hotmail.DOTcom> wrote:

    >This article may be helpful:
    >
    >"How to Reinstall Windows Without Losing Your Data"
    >http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2109p156id111652.htm

    That article is not that helpful at all,

    The opening paragraph "Over time, Windows loses stability. If you keep
    a computer for more than two years, at some point you're going to have
    to bite the bullet and reinstall Windows from scratch." is pure
    hogwash insofar as Windows XP is concerned.

    It also completely ignores the Files And Settings Transfer Wizard" in
    Windows XP as a means of preserving data files and configuration
    settings.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thank You for all the help guys. I reformated succsessfully

Windows XP Microsoft Hard Drives