novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Radeon VIVO and I wonder if it would be able to play video w/ a VCR. Thanks!

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile:

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well to tell you the truth I've never hooked up my VCR to my Radeon and since gave away my VCR since I just watch DVD's. Best guess is to try it out, I do have my cable box hooked up to my Radeon VIVO and it works great. Right now I am watching the news in a window while I type this.

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can really do that too? That's cool man...One quick question! You don't need a TV tuner card when you have the cable box right? I think I'm gonna get one too...How much does yours cost anyway?...Peace

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by novice on 07/01/01 08:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I do that all the time, watch TV and be on the web. My cable box has composite video out so it was realy easy to hook up. The Radeon videoIn allows a window on top of the desktop (which you can force on top of all the other windows), full screen or a very cool background display (meaning behind your desktop icons etc. The window is resizable to any size you want from a postage stamp size to the whole screen. Sometimes I really play hard by starting up QuakeIII on top of the desktop and play a Metalica DVD in a window forced on top, HOT MAN, REALLY HOT and a huge head rush. Since the Radeon DVD on my machine takes about 10% cpu power it does not affect my QuakeIII game play or Serious Sam game play. Its wild man and a good way to show off your machine. Just turn up the volume loud man, really loud with the in game music volume all the way down but the sound effects volume up and jam.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Video In works fine, but when you try to Video Out to your VCR for recording, you get an alternating dimm-bright-dimm-bright screen to reduce recording performance in order to comply with Macrovision regulations.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I saw one of your topics being said that you can actually crack some code and record the DVD movie to VHS as professional quality. Is that possible?

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SHHHHHHHHHHHH! The walls have ears! That was done with an MX card and the tricks disabled Macrovision with the Chronetel chip. If you figure out how to do it with the Radeon, please tell, I gave up on the MX card and sold it-it was too slow.

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok...i'll keep my mouth shut...but i have one more question for the Radeon vivo! where do you hook the audio composite cables to???...i don't know where to hook them on the computer so i decided to hook them to the boombox...i'll be using it temporarily while waiting for your help...thanks!
just for reference, i'm using the three colored wire (red, white, yellow)

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by novice on 07/02/01 08:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
The sound cable you hook up to your sound card, how if you have two RCA jacks then you need to buy a jack adapter to convert the two stereo RCA jacks to one for the sound card. ~$2 at Radio Shack.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Use the audio in and out from your soundcard, if you need RCA cabling you can get a cable that goes from a 1/8" stereo plug to 2 RCA connectors. As for video, out means out, in means in.