Finalizing my DVD-RW in Easy CD Creator

Dangerboy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2001

Hi everyone! First time here, hope to get some answers.

I'm saving picture and video files on separate DVD-RWs. I have Easy CD
Creator 5x basic that came w/ the computer and updated it with the patch
5.3.5.10_basic. I pulled my first DVD from a year ago out and added pictures
onto it from this year's trip. Original files were there as expected and
additions were no problem. Secondly, I started a 2nd disc of all video wmv
files. I filled that one to the hilt and do not wish to add to what little
room is left.

My settings are set thusly: "The selected Record Method finalizes the
session. The CD itself is not finalized so additional sessions can be added
later. To change this setting click options."

Actually, this is the setting I prefer, but in the case of the second disc,
it's full for me now and if I wish to possibly play it on my DVD player it
needs to be finalized.
Problem is, this option isn't available (appears all faded-out) when I click
on file, and appears the same to the lower right when I'm looking at disc
properties. Only real option in bold black at these times is ERASE, and I
don't want to do that! The discs play great on my computer, all material is
recognized, etc., but this inability to finalize has me confused. Certainly
in theory, a RW disc by its nature will never be truly finalized. Is that
what's holding things up? I do believe I should be able to finalize these,
true?

As for now, I feel good having these files backed up, playable, etc., just
would like to possible have the option of popping them into my relatively new
DVD player.

Thanks a bunch,

DVD-RW (and CD-RW) disks are not finalised.
If your DVD player cannot read DVD-RW disks then it will not play them.

If you want to play a DVD in a DVD reader that does not read DVD-RW
disks then you will have to use DVD-R (ie the write once read many type
of disk) disks.
The same applies to some older CD readers that were made before CD-RW
disks were developed.

You cannot finalize RW disks. If you could then they would not be
Re-writable.

"dangerboy" <dangerboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone! First time here, hope to get some answers.
>
> I'm saving picture and video files on separate DVD-RWs. I have Easy CD
> Creator 5x basic that came w/ the computer and updated it with the patch
> 5.3.5.10_basic. I pulled my first DVD from a year ago out and added
> pictures
> onto it from this year's trip. Original files were there as expected and
> additions were no problem. Secondly, I started a 2nd disc of all video
> wmv
> files. I filled that one to the hilt and do not wish to add to what little
> room is left.
>
> My settings are set thusly: "The selected Record Method finalizes the
> session. The CD itself is not finalized so additional sessions can be
> added
> later. To change this setting click options."
>
> Actually, this is the setting I prefer, but in the case of the second
> disc,
> it's full for me now and if I wish to possibly play it on my DVD player it
> needs to be finalized.
> Problem is, this option isn't available (appears all faded-out) when I
> click
> on file, and appears the same to the lower right when I'm looking at disc
> properties. Only real option in bold black at these times is ERASE, and I
> don't want to do that! The discs play great on my computer, all material
> is
> recognized, etc., but this inability to finalize has me confused.
> Certainly
> in theory, a RW disc by its nature will never be truly finalized. Is that
> what's holding things up? I do believe I should be able to finalize
> these,
> true?
>
> As for now, I feel good having these files backed up, playable, etc., just
> would like to possible have the option of popping them into my relatively
> new
> DVD player.
>
> Thanks a bunch,

Dangerboy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2001

Thanks a lot for the responses. I figured I was on to the never able to be
finalized part. Guess it was really the fault of my DVD manual which states
that it does play such discs only if they're finalized.