Repost to mention pc did not come with xp disk

August 3, 2005 3:28:53 AM

system has crashed and it's asking for xp disc after inserting 6 boot discs

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as my PC is my only source
to communicate with my ALS stricken father.
My sony pc has decided to go into an endless loop. I turn it on, it shows
me the sony logo, goes to the screen where I get to decide to start up
normal or in safe mode but no matter what I choose it starts the process
over again. I get a bunch of jibberish first if I choose safe mode. It
types the same line over and over again....
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\???????
Replace ??????with various endings like drivers\pci.sys there are too many
to write down and I can only copy one at a time before the system starts to
restart.

More about : repost mention disk

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:28:57 AM

Bonnie,
Tap the F8 key at boot-up and select safe mode from the list.
Go to Control Panel, System, Advanced Tab, Start-up & Recovery,
Settings.
Uncheck the box that says Automatically Restart.
Next time you boot the computer you will get the error messages that
you need to post back for us to help you.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

August 3, 2005 5:45:10 PM

Your first line doesn't make sense.
Do you have 6 boot discs, did you insert them, what are they & where did you
get them from?
What brandname machine do you have?
Why wasn't it supplied with an XP CD?

--

johnf

> system has crashed and it's asking for xp disc after inserting 6 boot
> discs
>
> Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as my PC is my only
> source to communicate with my ALS stricken father.
> My sony pc has decided to go into an endless loop. I turn it on, it
> shows me the sony logo, goes to the screen where I get to decide to
> start up normal or in safe mode but no matter what I choose it starts
> the process over again. I get a bunch of jibberish first if I choose
> safe mode. It types the same line over and over again....
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\???????
> Replace ??????with various endings like drivers\pci.sys there are too
> many to write down and I can only copy one at a time before the system
> starts to restart.
Related resources
August 3, 2005 5:45:11 PM

sorry, these were boot discs I created from another computer for a different
problem. Using these gets me out of the loop where the system is actually
reading and requesting each one but at the end of the sixth floppy it asks
for the xp cd. My system is a sony vaio and xp was already installed. It
came with systme recovery discs but that would wipe out my hard drive,
something I will do as a last resort after I've tried everything else.

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
> Your first line doesn't make sense.
> Do you have 6 boot discs, did you insert them, what are they & where did
you
> get them from?
> What brandname machine do you have?
> Why wasn't it supplied with an XP CD?
>

> --
>
> johnf
>
> > system has crashed and it's asking for xp disc after inserting 6 boot
> > discs
> >
> > Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as my PC is my only
> > source to communicate with my ALS stricken father.
> > My sony pc has decided to go into an endless loop. I turn it on, it
> > shows me the sony logo, goes to the screen where I get to decide to
> > start up normal or in safe mode but no matter what I choose it starts
> > the process over again. I get a bunch of jibberish first if I choose
> > safe mode. It types the same line over and over again....
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\???????
> > Replace ??????with various endings like drivers\pci.sys there are too
> > many to write down and I can only copy one at a time before the system
> > starts to restart.

August 3, 2005 5:45:11 PM

Sorry, havn't used this forum too often, still figuring out how it works.
So I created these boot discs with the help of HP Hotline when I was having
trouble with an HP. My PC is responding to these discs. It stops looping
and requests each of these start up discs sequentially but when it gets to
the sixth and last disc, it asks for the xp cd which did not come with my pc
only system recovery discs came with my cd but that would reformat my hard
drive, not what I want to do just yet. Does this help?
"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
> Your first line doesn't make sense.
> Do you have 6 boot discs, did you insert them, what are they & where did
you
> get them from?
> What brandname machine do you have?
> Why wasn't it supplied with an XP CD?
>

> --
>
> johnf
>
> > system has crashed and it's asking for xp disc after inserting 6 boot
> > discs
> >
> > Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as my PC is my only
> > source to communicate with my ALS stricken father.
> > My sony pc has decided to go into an endless loop. I turn it on, it
> > shows me the sony logo, goes to the screen where I get to decide to
> > start up normal or in safe mode but no matter what I choose it starts
> > the process over again. I get a bunch of jibberish first if I choose
> > safe mode. It types the same line over and over again....
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\???????
> > Replace ??????with various endings like drivers\pci.sys there are too
> > many to write down and I can only copy one at a time before the system
> > starts to restart.

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:45:12 PM

Bonnie,
Your system is in a never-ending restart loop because Windows has a fail condition, & it's set to restart again at each failure.
You need to clear the restart on failure. If you have XP with Service Pack 2, you can easily clear this.

When the pc is booting up (after the BIOS has done its POST test and
before Windows starts loading),
Tap F8 Function key to get bootup options. Tap & keep repeat tapping F8 !

You will actually see "Disable automatic restart on system failure" as an option .
Select that and give it a try.

Once restart on failure is disabled, you should get a STOP error with
text --- at the next problem.
Write it all down, and then start searching for the final solution.

Take a look at the Troubleshooting Windows STOP messages at Aumha.org

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

bonnie wrote:
> Sorry, havn't used this forum too often, still figuring out how it
> works. So I created these boot discs with the help of HP Hotline when
> I was having trouble with an HP. My PC is responding to these discs.
> It stops looping and requests each of these start up discs
> sequentially but when it gets to the sixth and last disc, it asks for
> the xp cd which did not come with my pc only system recovery discs
> came with my cd but that would reformat my hard drive, not what I
> want to do just yet. Does this help?
August 3, 2005 5:52:02 PM

Sorry, I just read your previous post where you said it's a Sony (a Sony
what?).
Nevertheless, my other queries still stand - don't forget this is a
voluntary newsgroup, so don't be impatiant if you don't get an answer within
5 minutes.

--

johnf

> Your first line doesn't make sense.
> Do you have 6 boot discs, did you insert them, what are they & where
> did you get them from?
> What brandname machine do you have?
> Why wasn't it supplied with an XP CD?
>

> --
>
> johnf
>
>> system has crashed and it's asking for xp disc after inserting 6 boot
>> discs
>>
>> Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as my PC is my only
>> source to communicate with my ALS stricken father.
>> My sony pc has decided to go into an endless loop. I turn it on, it
>> shows me the sony logo, goes to the screen where I get to decide to
>> start up normal or in safe mode but no matter what I choose it starts
>> the process over again. I get a bunch of jibberish first if I choose
>> safe mode. It types the same line over and over again....
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\???????
>> Replace ??????with various endings like drivers\pci.sys there are too
>> many to write down and I can only copy one at a time before the system
>> starts to restart.
August 3, 2005 5:52:03 PM

Not impatient, just thought it was important to mention I do not have an xp
cd because I know if it was me responding, I say use your xp cd. :)  Thanks
for any help you can give.

Bonnie

!