Nextel i930 will be GSM?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

Does anyone know nextel i930 will be GSM with dual band
iden?(iden/GSM)
I do know nextel is based on TDMA but I was looking at i930 on ebay
and it says iden/GSM.
The reason why I am asking is I've been using AT&T over 9 years and
their service was improved when they switched TDMA to GSM.
I am trying to get either i860 or i930 before christmas.
i860 will be GSM also?
Thanks in advance.

"loudandclear" <loudandlcear@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know nextel i930 will be GSM with dual band
> iden?(iden/GSM)
> I do know nextel is based on TDMA but I was looking at i930 on ebay
> and it says iden/GSM.
> The reason why I am asking is I've been using AT&T over 9 years and
> their service was improved when they switched TDMA to GSM.
> I am trying to get either i860 or i930 before christmas.
> i860 will be GSM also?
> Thanks in advance.

Nextel has never been a TDMA carrier- always iDen. The GSM is for
international use only.

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 09:36:46 -0600, "Scott Stephenson"
<scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:

>"loudandclear" <loudandlcear@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know nextel i930 will be GSM with dual band
>> iden?(iden/GSM)
>> I do know nextel is based on TDMA but I was looking at i930 on ebay
>> and it says iden/GSM.
>> The reason why I am asking is I've been using AT&T over 9 years and
>> their service was improved when they switched TDMA to GSM.
>> I am trying to get either i860 or i930 before christmas.
>> i860 will be GSM also?
>> Thanks in advance.
>
>Nextel has never been a TDMA carrier- always iDen. The GSM is for
>international use only.

iDen is a TDMA technology just as is GSM and IS-136 so called "TDMA."
TDMA is more than one mobile interface.
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

In alt.cellular loudandclear <loudandlcear@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know nextel i930 will be GSM with dual band
> iden?(iden/GSM)
> I do know nextel is based on TDMA but I was looking at i930 on ebay
> and it says iden/GSM.
> The reason why I am asking is I've been using AT&T over 9 years and
> their service was improved when they switched TDMA to GSM.
> I am trying to get either i860 or i930 before christmas.
> i860 will be GSM also?
> Thanks in advance.

I believe the GSM is for international roaming and will not include the US
GSM bands...

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> iDen is a TDMA technology just as is GSM and IS-136 so called "TDMA."
> TDMA is more than one mobile interface.

iDen is high capacity digital trunked radio system that uses some TDMA
channel access methodology in its design. TDMA is not trunked radio. iDen
is not TDMA.

In alt.cellular Scott Stephenson <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:

> iDen is high capacity digital trunked radio system that uses some TDMA
> channel access methodology in its design. TDMA is not trunked radio. iDen
> is not TDMA.

I thought iDen was Motorola's brand name for the *combination* of the trunked
radio system and the cellular interface. However, I'm not a big Nextel
follower and ICBW...

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> In alt.cellular Scott Stephenson <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
> > iDen is high capacity digital trunked radio system that uses some TDMA
> > channel access methodology in its design. TDMA is not trunked radio.
iDen
> > is not TDMA.
>
> I thought iDen was Motorola's brand name for the *combination* of the
trunked
> radio system and the cellular interface. However, I'm not a big Nextel
> follower and ICBW...

You're pretty much on track, Steve. IIRC, iDen actually borrows protocols
from more than the TDMA arena. Fact is, it is not true cellular (wanna see
someone go ballistic- go over to the ATTWS group and call Nextel a cell
phone. John S will hit the roof :)).

To add further confusion to the mix, Nextel has actually made strides to
gather CDMA technology, not TDMA. They bought rights to some Qualcomm CDMA
technology a few years back, and from what I can gather from some articles
that were posted in alt.cellular.nextel a while back, are using PCS spectrum
to drive their wireless broadband project. If iDen were a true TDMA
platform, it would make some of these investments rather suspect, as it
would be much more cost efficient to stick with native technology.

GOPI

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004

"John Eckart" <JEckart@mail.com> wrote in message news:<nE1Jc.2529$Qu5.1988@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "TDMA."
<snip>
> Even though iDEN and GSM is based on TDMA technology, it doesn't make it
> TDMA. You can't use a "TDMA" phone on an iDEN and/or GSM network. The
> newer 3GSM is based on CDMA technology.

It's been explained in this thread before, but is apparently still
being ignored.

TDMA, Time Division Multiple Access, is a modulation technique. FM and
AM are also modulation techniques.

Many people _incorrectly_ use "TDMA" when they mean "The IS-136
standard, which uses TDMA modulation."

The term TDMA does _not_ refer to any single, specific standard. It is
a generic term. I can call my phone a "GSM phone" or a "TDMA phone" or
a "cellular phone." All of those are accurate.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

In article <nE1Jc.2529$Qu5.1988@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"John Eckart" <JEckart@mail.com> wrote:

> Even though iDEN and GSM is based on TDMA technology, it doesn't make it
> TDMA. You can't use a "TDMA" phone on an iDEN and/or GSM network. The newer
> 3GSM is based on CDMA technology.
>
> The i930 is a dual-band iDEN/GSM phone which should be out by the end of this
> year. I don't have any specific information on the GSM side of the phone or
> if it is multimode. The i860 is iDEN only.

Try this:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/8388529185339485/

and

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=110706

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

The i930 will be iDEN+GSM. However, it will not include the US GSM
freq. maps. So, you can only use it for GSM calls outside of the USA.

In addition, Nextel does not have any roaming agreements with US GSM
carriers. Beyond that, I would expect that you would be locked out of
roaming on GSM when there is an iDEN carrier present such as in parts
of Mexico, Asia, and the middle east.

-D

On 14 Jul 2004 07:26:29 -0700, gopiballava@gmail.com (gopi) wrote:

>"John Eckart" <JEckart@mail.com> wrote in message news:<nE1Jc.2529$Qu5.1988@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
>> "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "TDMA."
><snip>
>> Even though iDEN and GSM is based on TDMA technology, it doesn't make it
>> TDMA. You can't use a "TDMA" phone on an iDEN and/or GSM network. The
>> newer 3GSM is based on CDMA technology.
>
>It's been explained in this thread before, but is apparently still
>being ignored.
>
>TDMA, Time Division Multiple Access, is a modulation technique.

Wrong. TDMA say nothing, NADA, ZILCH about modulation, what is says is
the spectrum is time shared amoung the users. Makes no difference what
modulation scheme they use, as long as they time share it. In the case
of D-AMPS, there are time slots for 3 calls in the channell, in GSM
there are 8 x 217 time slots in a channel, and that is usually 8
calls, but with HFR can be 16.

GSM and D-AMPS both operate by time sharing the channel, i.e. only one
phone is broadcasting at any given moment on a specific channel for a
specific BTS. Phone company used to time division mulitplexing and
used PCM modulation, which bears no similarity to GSM or IS-136.

CDMA is a digital analog of synchrous detection, and relies on the
fact that when recovered using the speading code, all calls except the
one you are interested in appears to be random noise. Multiple phone
are in fact transmitting in the same channel simultaneous, something
that neither GSM or D-AMPS/IS-136 can do.

As for actual modulation, CDMA, IS-136 and GSM all use variations on
PSK (phase shift keying)..