Speed up boot time?

k1ngkev1n1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010

I just want it to load up as fast as possible thats all. i heard there is a setting in bios for quicking boot. not sure where though.

The quick boot option does not directly affect the Windows part of the boot sequence. To affect that, you need to do things like defrag your hard drive, remove unnecessary applications from starting with Windows, clearing temp files... etc. What the Quick Boot option in the BIOS does, is allows the POST to skip certain RAM tests that it would normally perform. Depending on how much RAM your computer has, it can greatly speed up the boot time.

k1ngkev1n1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010

I have 4 gb of ram 2 2gb sticks. would quick boot help or not?

Unless you are having problems with the RAM installed in your system, I would turn Quick Boot on. It cuts out a lot of unnecessary waiting time when booting your system. The extended tests are not necessary anyway, as RAM problems usually manifest themselves in the form of blue screens of death in Windows.

NJoe

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Either invest into an SSD (which I would recommend as well). If you don't want to spend too much money (no money to be precise) then you can try the Freeware Argus Boot Accelerator

It can help you speed up the boot process by letting the system boot until you can logon and then starting non essential services and selected autostart entries later. And best of all -- it's free. ;)