windows chopped off in 800x600

I'm feeling really stupid asking this. My neighbor is using 800x600 screen resolution
(she probably lowered it herself) and her windows don't "fit" the screen - i.e. the
lower part is chopped off (and scrolling isn't the answer). I have never seen this issue
before (maybe because I always opt for a higher resolution). TIA
5 answers Last reply
More about windows chopped 800x600

    In news:%23tyQl6$lFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    MJ <mj@address.invalid> had this to say:

    > I'm feeling really stupid asking this. My neighbor is using 800x600
    > screen resolution (she probably lowered it herself) and her windows
    > don't "fit" the screen - i.e. the lower part is chopped off (and
    > scrolling isn't the answer). I have never seen this issue before
    > (maybe because I always opt for a higher resolution). TIA

    Okay, in that case it's likely two things? Maybe? Shouldn't be anything but
    these two...

    First try to drag the windows as a method of resizing. Basically in the
    upper left move the mouse around until you get the double headed arrow. From
    there drag it smaller. From there move it up so you can see the bottom...
    Drag it smaller... Make it fit her screen all nice and neat. When you've
    done that CLOSE the application with the button in the upper left and it
    should remember it's new size.

    If that's not the scenerio then it's probably just the monitor. You said her
    windows do not fit the screen so I'm guessing it's just the windows that
    don't fit the screen and the task bar is visable and everything else is fine
    so the above is probably what you wanted. If not then you will want to
    adjust the size of the screen with the fun butttons on the front. (Okay, so
    they're really not so fun. What's worse is when you change them to a
    language that's not one you speak but that's a conversation best saved for
    another time.)

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    Thanks for responding. The task bar appears normally at the bottom - it's just that the
    windows are "oversized" and "disappear" behind it and off-screen. She said she lowered
    the resolution some time ago - I guess she has been putting up with it since then. I'll
    try resizing but I suspect I won't be able to see the bottom of the window to grab it.
    By the way, she has a 17" monitor and complains she can't see the "font" at higher
    resolutions. I've recommended a 19". Anyway, I'll try the resizing. Thanks

> [...]

    > fit her screen all nice and neat. When you've done that CLOSE the application with the
    > button in the upper left and it should remember it's new size.
    >
    > If that's not the scenerio then it's probably just the monitor. You said her windows
    > do not fit the screen so I'm guessing it's just the windows that don't fit the screen
    > and the task bar is visable and everything else is fine so the above is probably what
    > you wanted. If not then you will want to adjust the size of the screen with the fun
    > butttons on the front. (Okay, so they're really not so fun. What's worse is when you
    > change them to a language that's not one you speak but that's a conversation best
    > saved for another time.)
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world

    Hi MJ,

    Is she by chance running an LCD monitor? If so then the problem
    might be that she is not running at the native resolution.

    If this is the case, set the resolution to 'native', then go to
    display properties and adjust the size of the print.

    Ciao . . . C.Joseph

    That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
    He esteems too lightly

    MJ wrote:
    > Thanks for responding. The task bar appears normally at the bottom - it's just that the
    > windows are "oversized" and "disappear" behind it and off-screen. She said she lowered
    > the resolution some time ago - I guess she has been putting up with it since then. I'll
    > try resizing but I suspect I won't be able to see the bottom of the window to grab it.
    > By the way, she has a 17" monitor and complains she can't see the "font" at higher
    > resolutions. I've recommended a 19". Anyway, I'll try the resizing. Thanks
    >

    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>In news:%23tyQl6$lFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >>MJ <mj@address.invalid> had this to say:
    >>
    >>My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
    >>

    >>>I'm feeling really stupid asking this. My neighbor is using 800x600
    >>>screen resolution (she probably lowered it herself) and her windows
    >>>don't "fit" the screen - i.e. the lower part is chopped off (and
    >>>scrolling isn't the answer). I have never seen this issue before
    >>>(maybe because I always opt for a higher resolution). TIA
    >>
    >>Okay, in that case it's likely two things? Maybe? Shouldn't be anything but these
    >>two...
    >>
    >>First try to drag the windows as a method of resizing. Basically in the upper left
    >>move the mouse around until you get the double headed arrow. From there drag it
    >>smaller. From there move it up so you can see the bottom... Drag it smaller... Make it
    >>fit her screen all nice and neat. When you've done that CLOSE the application with the
    >>button in the upper left and it should remember it's new size.
    >>
    >>If that's not the scenerio then it's probably just the monitor. You said her windows
    >>do not fit the screen so I'm guessing it's just the windows that don't fit the screen
    >>and the task bar is visable and everything else is fine so the above is probably what
    >>you wanted. If not then you will want to adjust the size of the screen with the fun
    >>butttons on the front. (Okay, so they're really not so fun. What's worse is when you
    >>change them to a language that's not one you speak but that's a conversation best
    >>saved for another time.)
    >>
    >>Galen
    >>--
    >>
    >>"But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
    >>without them."
    >>
    >>Sherlock Holmes

    Nope. It's a 17" CRT.

    "Dr. C.Joseph Drayton, Ph.D. AS&T" <cjoseph@memax.us> wrote in message

    > Hi MJ,
    >
    > Is she by chance running an LCD monitor? If so then the problem
    > might be that she is not running at the native resolution.
    >
    > If this is the case, set the resolution to 'native', then go to
    > display properties and adjust the size of the print.
    >
    > Ciao . . . C.Joseph
    >
    > That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
    > He esteems too lightly
    >
    > MJ wrote:
    >> Thanks for responding. The task bar appears normally at the bottom - it's just that
    >> the
    >> windows are "oversized" and "disappear" behind it and off-screen. She said she
    >> lowered
    >> the resolution some time ago - I guess she has been putting up with it since then.
    >> I'll
    >> try resizing but I suspect I won't be able to see the bottom of the window to grab
    >> it.
    >> By the way, she has a 17" monitor and complains she can't see the "font" at higher
    >> resolutions. I've recommended a 19". Anyway, I'll try the resizing. Thanks
    >>

    >> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>In news:%23tyQl6$lFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >>>MJ <mj@address.invalid> had this to say:
    >>>
    >>>My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

    >>>Okay, in that case it's likely two things? Maybe? Shouldn't be anything but these
    >>>two...
    >>>
    >>>First try to drag the windows as a method of resizing. Basically in the upper left
    >>>move the mouse around until you get the double headed arrow. From there drag it
    >>>smaller. From there move it up so you can see the bottom... Drag it smaller... Make
    >>>it
    >>>fit her screen all nice and neat. When you've done that CLOSE the application with
    >>>the
    >>>button in the upper left and it should remember it's new size.
    >>>
    >>>If that's not the scenerio then it's probably just the monitor. You said her windows
    >>>do not fit the screen so I'm guessing it's just the windows that don't fit the screen
    >>>and the task bar is visable and everything else is fine so the above is probably what
    >>>you wanted. If not then you will want to adjust the size of the screen with the fun
    >>>butttons on the front. (Okay, so they're really not so fun. What's worse is when you
    >>>change them to a language that's not one you speak but that's a conversation best
    >>>saved for another time.)
    >>>
    >>>Galen
    >>>--
    >>>
    >>>"But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
    >>>without them."
    >>>
    >>>Sherlock Holmes

Support Microsoft Windows XP