talisman

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005

Am running a 64bit machine operating dual xp, home and pro. Recently
installed xp pro 64bit to test machine, however numerous drivers not
available and system was unsteady to say the least. Uninstalled it by
formatting hard drive, now when machine boots up, operating system still
shows in boot up screen as a choice for starting computer. I need to remove
this choice from the bios and do not know how. Guidance (instructions) on how
to do this would be greatly appreciated.

The 'extra' choice of o.s. is in Boot.ini file found in the root of your C drive. C:\Boot.ini
The choice is not in the BIOS.

If you have no experience editing Boot.ini, leaving it be is not fatal. You can use MSCONFIG to verify & or set your defalt Operating system.

If you do edit the file to take out extra leftover, 1st be sure to make a save copy. Boot.ini is a hidden & read-only file at C:\
Use Notepad to view and edit contents.

Make a copy of the current Boot.ini file before making changes!

Next , get a blank diskette, format it plainly ( a normal format) and make a bootable-for-XP diskette:
How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable
to Start Windows XP

Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

Talisman wrote:
> Am running a 64bit machine operating dual xp, home and pro. Recently
> installed xp pro 64bit to test machine, however numerous drivers not
> available and system was unsteady to say the least. Uninstalled it by
> formatting hard drive, now when machine boots up, operating system
> still shows in boot up screen as a choice for starting computer. I
> need to remove this choice from the bios and do not know how.
> Guidance (instructions) on how to do this would be greatly
> appreciated.

talisman

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005

If you revisit this post would like to thank you for your help,

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> The 'extra' choice of o.s. is in Boot.ini file found in the root of your C drive. C:\Boot.ini
> The choice is not in the BIOS.
>
> If you have no experience editing Boot.ini, leaving it be is not fatal. You can use MSCONFIG to verify & or set your defalt Operating system.
>
> If you do edit the file to take out extra leftover, 1st be sure to make a save copy. Boot.ini is a hidden & read-only file at C:\
> Use Notepad to view and edit contents.
>
> Make a copy of the current Boot.ini file before making changes!
>
> Next , get a blank diskette, format it plainly ( a normal format) and make a bootable-for-XP diskette:
> How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable
> to Start Windows XP

> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> Talisman wrote:
> > Am running a 64bit machine operating dual xp, home and pro. Recently
> > installed xp pro 64bit to test machine, however numerous drivers not
> > available and system was unsteady to say the least. Uninstalled it by
> > formatting hard drive, now when machine boots up, operating system
> > still shows in boot up screen as a choice for starting computer. I
> > need to remove this choice from the bios and do not know how.
> > Guidance (instructions) on how to do this would be greatly
> > appreciated.

Talisman,
You are welcome. All the best.
--