Printer with Ethernet port

Hi..
Whats the aim of the ethernet port in a printer (for ex. HP 2840
All-in-One)????

can i connect this printer (which has Ethernet port) to a Hub or Switch and
let all the PCs on the LAN to print on it???????

"XeDigital" <xedigital@gloryegypt.net> wrote in message
> Hi..
> Whats the aim of the ethernet port in a printer (for ex. HP 2840
> All-in-One)????
>
> can i connect this printer (which has Ethernet port) to a Hub or Switch
> and let all the PCs on the LAN to print on it???????

The two advantages of an ethernet port on a printer are:

1. its much faster than a traditional centronics printer interface. Probably
not much in it though if you compare it with usb.

2. your print server doesn't have to be located physically near to the
printer.

You will still need a print server. You can set up pcs to print directly to
it, but you will get problems if more than one pc tries to print at the same
time. So designate one pc as a print server for it.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian

XeDigital wrote:
> Hi..
> Whats the aim of the ethernet port in a printer (for ex. HP 2840
> All-in-One)????

So the printer can be placed on a network and used by computers on the
network.

> can i connect this printer (which has Ethernet port) to a Hub or Switch and
> let all the PCs on the LAN to print on it???????

Yes. As above.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Brian Cryer wrote:

> 2. your print server doesn't have to be located physically near to the
> printer.

There's not even any need for a print server. The printer can be added
to each workstation as a "local" printer by the simple expedient of
creating a standard TCP/IP port.

> You will still need a print server.

Not so.

>You can set up pcs to print directly to
> it,

Correct.

> but you will get problems if more than one pc tries to print at the same
> time.

I've never seen any such problem, and I manage hundreds of PCs that
print to dozens of printers, all via local TCP/IP ports.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

XeDigital wrote:
> Hi..
> Whats the aim of the ethernet port in a printer (for ex. HP 2840
> All-in-One)????
>
> can i connect this printer (which has Ethernet port)
> to a Hub or Switch and let all the PCs on the LAN to
> print on it???????

An RJ45 socket doesn't *necessarily* mean an ethernet port,
though usually does.

Does the manual not say? If you don't have the manual, it
may be on the drivers CD or you could possibly download it
from the HP site.

Cheers,

Cliff

> Brian Cryer wrote:
>

>> 2. your print server doesn't have to be located physically near to the
>> printer.
>>

> There's not even any need for a print server. The printer can be added to
> each workstation as a "local" printer by the simple expedient of creating
> a standard TCP/IP port.
>

>> You will still need a print server.
>

> Not so.
>

>>You can set up pcs to print directly to it,
>

> Correct.
>

>> but you will get problems if more than one pc tries to print at the same
>> time.
>

> I've never seen any such problem, and I manage hundreds of PCs that print
> to dozens of printers, all via local TCP/IP ports.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

I stand corrected. I still think a single print server is a better way to
go - at the very least it means you can see what is in the print queue.

Brian.

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Hi..
> Whats the aim of the ethernet port in a printer (for ex. HP
> 2840
> All-in-One)????
>
> can i connect this printer (which has Ethernet port) to a Hub
> or Switch and
> let all the PCs on the LAN to print on it???????

The printer has a print server built in, you will need to install the
printer on one computer and configure it to send the informtion to the
prite servers IP, and then tell all other computer to send print jobs
to that computer.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Printer-Ethernet-port-ftopict404017.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1338383