i have lost my windows xp theme

Neo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2003

ok i have no way of restoring my default windows xp theme!
let me first explain that i downloaded several custom themes for my
computer and didnt care to revert back to the orignal theme until now.
i recently downloaded a theme and have used it for a month but now i
want to change it all back to my original xp theme and cant find a way
to do it. windows xp theme is selectable in my theme tab but the only
thing it will change is my wallpaper and the sounds. i still have the
taskbar and windows and icons from the last theme i used! i checked to
see if i had the luna theme in my windows folder and i did and i have
looked through alot of google groups to find a solution and have almost
tried them all. ive went and downloaded registry keys that are supposed
to fix the problem but they havent.

plus when i go to start>appearance and themes>change
computers theme>appearance i cant select any option to change the style
of my windows and buttons, its just greyed out. it got greyed out when
i downloaded one of these registry keys trying to fix my theme, before
that i was able to select windows classic only tho. im trying to tell
you as much as i can in order to pinpoint the problem but i dont kno
what to do. should i reinstall windows xp? i dont have the windows xp
cd cuz my computer is a dell and i think i just had windows xp
preinstalled in it.

i will tell you again the only thing that returned to default
was a change in my wallpaper (which i could do manually anytime) and my
sounds have changed. but everything else: the style of my windows, the
taskbar, icons for my folders internet and everything else is STILL
from my last theme. please someone help me. i am sorry for this long
post just need to make sure i didnt leave anything out, i dont want to
get the same responses that others have gotten for help on this cuz i
have read them all and tried them all.
thank you

Troubleshooting Themes in Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#themes

Also if XP Pro check settings in Group Policy.

Open Group Policy...
Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
Navigate to >>>

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Desktop Themes\
Load a specific visual style file or force Windows Classic
Set to Not configured.

Go here...

Read the instructions at the top

187. Restore Themes Functionality

187. Right hand side
Restore Luna Theme - Restore Classic Theme
Click on: Restore Luna Theme

214. Windows/Buttons Grayed Out -Appearance

214. Right hand side
Windows XP Style Changes to Windows Classic

271. Stuck in Classic View? Undo Now

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1123066806.032817.129750@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
Neo <chrisrobins2000@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> ok i have no way of restoring my default windows xp theme!
> let me first explain that i downloaded several custom themes for my
> computer and didnt care to revert back to the orignal theme until now.
> i recently downloaded a theme and have used it for a month but now i
> want to change it all back to my original xp theme and cant find a way
> to do it. windows xp theme is selectable in my theme tab but the only
> thing it will change is my wallpaper and the sounds. i still have the
> taskbar and windows and icons from the last theme i used! i checked to
> see if i had the luna theme in my windows folder and i did and i have
> looked through alot of google groups to find a solution and have almost
> tried them all. ive went and downloaded registry keys that are supposed
> to fix the problem but they havent.
>
> plus when i go to start>appearance and themes>change
> computers theme>appearance i cant select any option to change the style
> of my windows and buttons, its just greyed out. it got greyed out when
> i downloaded one of these registry keys trying to fix my theme, before
> that i was able to select windows classic only tho. im trying to tell
> you as much as i can in order to pinpoint the problem but i dont kno
> what to do. should i reinstall windows xp? i dont have the windows xp
> cd cuz my computer is a dell and i think i just had windows xp
> preinstalled in it.
>
> i will tell you again the only thing that returned to default
> was a change in my wallpaper (which i could do manually anytime) and my
> sounds have changed. but everything else: the style of my windows, the
> taskbar, icons for my folders internet and everything else is STILL
> from my last theme. please someone help me. i am sorry for this long
> post just need to make sure i didnt leave anything out, i dont want to
> get the same responses that others have gotten for help on this cuz i
> have read them all and tried them all.
> thank you

Neo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2003

well clicked on all the kellys corner stuff and still am stuck with my
last themes icons and taskbar... i feel like giving up. thanks for
trying to help tho, i dont know what the problem is.

Neo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2003

yes! it worked! after the reply i made above i went to sleep and gave
up, but when i turned on my computer this morning my taskbar is back to
normal and so are my windows! thanks wes for helping me out =) except
one thing...my folders icons, IE icon, and other icons are still
looking like the one from the last theme, how do i change my icons back
to normal?
again thanks for helping me change my windows and taskbar back!

For a lot of changes that you make in XP, you have to reboot for them to
take affect.

Which IE icon? The one on your Desktop?
If yes, try this...
Right click Desktop | Properties | Desktop tab |
Customize Desktop button | General tab |
Desktop icons | UNCheck: Internet Explorer |
Click OK | Click Apply | Click OK

Right click Desktop | Properties | Desktop tab |
Customize Desktop button | General tab |
Desktop icons | Check: Internet Explorer |
Click OK | Click Apply | Click OK

How many folders have the incorrect icon? If not too awful many try this...
Right click folder | Properties | Customize tab |
Change Icon button | Double click the manilla folder in the lower left hand
corner | Click Apply | Click OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1123149222.726509.16210@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
Neo <chrisrobins2000@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> yes! it worked! after the reply i made above i went to sleep and gave
> up, but when i turned on my computer this morning my taskbar is back to
> normal and so are my windows! thanks wes for helping me out =) except
> one thing...my folders icons, IE icon, and other icons are still
> looking like the one from the last theme, how do i change my icons back
> to normal?
> again thanks for helping me change my windows and taskbar back!

Neo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2003

Yes, the internet explorer icon on my desktop is the one i am talking
about, all my folders also still have the theme icon, and on my start
menus alot of the icons still retain the ones that where from my last
theme. i have tried all the steps u have detailed above and even
restarted my computer but i still dont see any results? if u have any
other ideas and/or methods of restoring my default icons for my
computer please let me know =)
thanks again

TRENDING THREADS