XP+2000+ME?

Finished taking a computer from WIN98 to WIN XP Home, but now, during the
start up, it gives me the option of starting with WIN 2000, 2000
Professional, or Win XP. How can I go back through and delete/clear the hard
drive of all this unnecessary software? It's only got a 10 GB hard drive, and
3 of it is getting eaten up through I imagine different operating systems
(although I'm pretty sure that XP is 1.5 GB).

"maxcavsm" <maxcavsm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Finished taking a computer from WIN98 to WIN XP Home, but now, during the
> start up, it gives me the option of starting with WIN 2000, 2000
> Professional, or Win XP. How can I go back through and delete/clear the
> hard
> drive of all this unnecessary software? It's only got a 10 GB hard drive,
> and
> 3 of it is getting eaten up through I imagine different operating systems
> (although I'm pretty sure that XP is 1.5 GB).

Do you have Windows 2000 installed?

I cannot advise on how to remove Windows 2000, keeping XP, but you can
remove Windows 2000 from the list of start-up options by editing the hidden
read-only "boot.ini" file in the root of your C drive. If you change the
read-only attribute so you can edit the file (the format should be straight
forward when you open it with notepad), I think you will need to set it back
to read-only when you've done your edits (not totally sure, since its been a
while since I last did it). If you need advice on what to cut out then post
the contents of the file.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Brian,
I'll give that a try this evening. Thx for the assist and hope that it works.
Steve