  • Connection
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 16, 2004 10:08:44 AM

Hi,
I have 2 netgear wgt624 wireless routers and the following config.

PC1 --> Wireless router 1 --> Wireless router 2 --> PC2 --> Ethernet Switch

PC1 : has 192.168.0.102
Wireless router 1 : 192.168.0.101 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
PC2 : 192.168.0.112
Wireless router 2 : 192.168.0.111 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)

from PC1 I cannot ping wireless router 2 ....What I have to do?

MAP

More about : connect wireless routers

Anonymous
May 16, 2004 1:19:05 PM

If both wireless routers are configured as routers - then they are working
correctly and PC1 and PC2 will never ping each other.

You have basically setup two private networks, each behind a router, that
happen to have the same TCP/IP addressing scheme. Your setup is such that
this is the same reason you cannot ping my PC....or why I cannot ping your
PC.

What are you trying to do?

"Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have 2 netgear wgt624 wireless routers and the following config.
>

> PC1 --> Wireless router 1 --> Wireless router 2 --> PC2 --> Ethernet
Switch

> PC1 : has 192.168.0.102
> Wireless router 1 : 192.168.0.101 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
> PC2 : 192.168.0.112
> Wireless router 2 : 192.168.0.111 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
>
> from PC1 I cannot ping wireless router 2 ....What I have to do?
>
> MAP
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 3:24:07 PM

I would like to access PC2 and all the computers in that LAN from PC1

"Jim Orfanakos" <jim@-nospam-orfanakos.com> wrote in message news:<joSdnZQcDYHZ9zrdRVn_iw@comcast.com>...
> If both wireless routers are configured as routers - then they are working
> correctly and PC1 and PC2 will never ping each other.
>
> You have basically setup two private networks, each behind a router, that
> happen to have the same TCP/IP addressing scheme. Your setup is such that
> this is the same reason you cannot ping my PC....or why I cannot ping your
> PC.
>
> What are you trying to do?
>
> "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have 2 netgear wgt624 wireless routers and the following config.
> >

> > PC1 --> Wireless router 1 --> Wireless router 2 --> PC2 --> Ethernet
> Switch
> >

> > PC1 : has 192.168.0.102
> > Wireless router 1 : 192.168.0.101 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
> > PC2 : 192.168.0.112
> > Wireless router 2 : 192.168.0.111 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
> >
> > from PC1 I cannot ping wireless router 2 ....What I have to do?
> >
> > MAP
May 17, 2004 3:07:33 AM

> I would like to access PC2 and all the computers in that
LAN from PC1

> "Jim Orfanakos" <jim@-nospam-orfanakos.com> wrote in
message news:<joSdnZQcDYHZ9zrdRVn_iw@comcast.com>...
> > If both wireless routers are configured as routers -
then they are working
> > correctly and PC1 and PC2 will never ping each other.
> >
> > You have basically setup two private networks, each
behind a router, that
> > happen to have the same TCP/IP addressing scheme. Your
setup is such that
> > this is the same reason you cannot ping my PC....or why
I cannot ping your
> > PC.
> >
> > What are you trying to do?
> >
> > "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > I have 2 netgear wgt624 wireless routers and the
following config.

> > > PC1 --> Wireless router 1 --> Wireless router 2 -->
PC2 --> Ethernet
> > Switch
> > >

> > > PC1 : has 192.168.0.102
> > > Wireless router 1 : 192.168.0.101 (not dhcp)
(SSID:foobar channel:11)
> > > PC2 : 192.168.0.112
> > > Wireless router 2 : 192.168.0.111 (not dhcp)
(SSID:foobar channel:11)

> > > from PC1 I cannot ping wireless router 2 ....What I
have to do?

the connect the two routers LAN to LAN effectively using
them as Access points.

P.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 5:46:30 AM

Do you have PC2 and the Ethernet switch reversed in your diagram, or do you
really have 2 NICs in PC2?

You don't show which jacks are being used. Is it like this:
PC1 ----- LANjack1--router1--LANjack2 ----- WANjack--router2--LANjack -----
Switch ----- PC2 ?
If you are using the WAN jack on just one router, then you have 2 networks.
If you are connecting the 2 WAN jacks together, then you have 3 networks.
If you aren't using either of the WAN jacks, then you have only 1 network
and your addressing scheme should be working. Since it isn't working, I
assume that the last setup isn't yours.

Each network needs its own network address. Assuming a subnet mask of
255.255.255.0, then one network could be 192.168.0.x, while another could be
192.168.1.x. Every host on a network must have a host address that conforms
to the network address of the host's network.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have 2 netgear wgt624 wireless routers and the following config.
>

> PC1 --> Wireless router 1 --> Wireless router 2 --> PC2 --> Ethernet
Switch

> PC1 : has 192.168.0.102
> Wireless router 1 : 192.168.0.101 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
> PC2 : 192.168.0.112
> Wireless router 2 : 192.168.0.111 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
>
> from PC1 I cannot ping wireless router 2 ....What I have to do?
>
> MAP
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 9:28:16 AM

Please define "access". File Sharing? FTP? HTTP? E-Mail? Web?

You basically have two LANs with a firewall / NAT protecting each LAN. What
you are trying to do is the exact opposite functionality that the wireless
router provides.

Are these two LANS in the same building? Do you need two diff LANS? are
you trying to bridge two LANS? Networks? Buildings?

Please detail your setup, and what you are trying to do in more detail.

"Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I would like to access PC2 and all the computers in that LAN from PC1
>
> "Jim Orfanakos" <jim@-nospam-orfanakos.com> wrote in message
> > If both wireless routers are configured as routers - then they are
working
> > correctly and PC1 and PC2 will never ping each other.
> >
> > You have basically setup two private networks, each behind a router,
that
> > happen to have the same TCP/IP addressing scheme. Your setup is such
that
> > this is the same reason you cannot ping my PC....or why I cannot ping
your
> > PC.
> >
> > What are you trying to do?
> >
> > "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > I have 2 netgear wgt624 wireless routers and the following config.
> > >

> > > PC1 --> Wireless router 1 --> Wireless router 2 --> PC2 --> Ethernet
> > Switch
> > >

> > > PC1 : has 192.168.0.102
> > > Wireless router 1 : 192.168.0.101 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
> > > PC2 : 192.168.0.112
> > > Wireless router 2 : 192.168.0.111 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
> > >
> > > from PC1 I cannot ping wireless router 2 ....What I have to do?
> > >
> > > MAP
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 4:29:01 AM

yes PC2 is a router itself with 3 NICs.
My objective is to have all the computers in 1 LAN. Ideally I thought
that the wireless routers could act as ethernet hubs/switch (but
wirelessly), so anything connected to it is in the same network. It's
possible to do that? How?

Thanks

Leiv

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message news:<WPUpc.22788$MH.8082015@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> Do you have PC2 and the Ethernet switch reversed in your diagram, or do you
> really have 2 NICs in PC2?
>
> You don't show which jacks are being used. Is it like this:
> PC1 ----- LANjack1--router1--LANjack2 ----- WANjack--router2--LANjack -----
> Switch ----- PC2 ?
> If you are using the WAN jack on just one router, then you have 2 networks.
> If you are connecting the 2 WAN jacks together, then you have 3 networks.
> If you aren't using either of the WAN jacks, then you have only 1 network
> and your addressing scheme should be working. Since it isn't working, I
> assume that the last setup isn't yours.
>
> Each network needs its own network address. Assuming a subnet mask of
> 255.255.255.0, then one network could be 192.168.0.x, while another could be
> 192.168.1.x. Every host on a network must have a host address that conforms
> to the network address of the host's network.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
>
> "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have 2 netgear wgt624 wireless routers and the following config.
> >

> > PC1 --> Wireless router 1 --> Wireless router 2 --> PC2 --> Ethernet
> Switch
> >

> > PC1 : has 192.168.0.102
> > Wireless router 1 : 192.168.0.101 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
> > PC2 : 192.168.0.112
> > Wireless router 2 : 192.168.0.111 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
> >
> > from PC1 I cannot ping wireless router 2 ....What I have to do?
> >
> > MAP
May 20, 2004 2:50:18 PM

On Thu, 20 May 2004 00:29:01 -0700, Leiv wrote
(in article <51380357.0405192329.79ca011f@posting.google.com>):

> yes PC2 is a router itself with 3 NICs.
> My objective is to have all the computers in 1 LAN. Ideally I thought
> that the wireless routers could act as ethernet hubs/switch (but
> wirelessly), so anything connected to it is in the same network. It's
> possible to do that? How?

If I understand, you are trying to bridge the gap between the 2 routers.

You need a wireless bridge. Your 2 routers are in AP mode. In this mode, they
can communicate only with clients (wireless cards in computers, etc.), but
not another AP.

Only a bridge can communicate with an AP.

Senao makes a very flexible product. It can operate in AP mode or Bridge
mode, and the transmit power (~200mW) is among the highest:

http://tinyurl.com/ywbrs

Good luck,
--
DaveC
me@privacy.net

It is possible, desirable, and usual to have all your computers in one LAN.
But the broadband modem can't be in that LAN. So one of your devices must
have 2 NICs and connect to the LAN with one and to the broadband modem with
the other. That device could be a dedicated router, or it could be a
computer in the role of a router (such as a computer running ICS).

Is there an internet connection in your planned configuration, or are you
just trying to wirelessly bridge two wired Ethernets together? If it's the
latter, try this:
Wired-LAN-1 ----- LANjack--router1 ))) ((( router2--LANjack -----
Wired-LAN-2

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

> yes PC2 is a router itself with 3 NICs.
> My objective is to have all the computers in 1 LAN. Ideally I thought
> that the wireless routers could act as ethernet hubs/switch (but
> wirelessly), so anything connected to it is in the same network. It's
> possible to do that? How?
>
> Thanks
>
> Leiv
>
> "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> > Do you have PC2 and the Ethernet switch reversed in your diagram, or do
you
> > really have 2 NICs in PC2?
> >
> > You don't show which jacks are being used. Is it like this:
> > PC1 ----- LANjack1--router1--LANjack2 -----
WANjack--router2--LANjack -----
> > Switch ----- PC2 ?
> > If you are using the WAN jack on just one router, then you have 2
networks.
> > If you are connecting the 2 WAN jacks together, then you have 3
networks.
> > If you aren't using either of the WAN jacks, then you have only 1
network
> > and your addressing scheme should be working. Since it isn't working, I
> > assume that the last setup isn't yours.
> >
> > Each network needs its own network address. Assuming a subnet mask of
> > 255.255.255.0, then one network could be 192.168.0.x, while another
could be
> > 192.168.1.x. Every host on a network must have a host address that
conforms
> > to the network address of the host's network.
> >
> > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
> >
> > "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > I have 2 netgear wgt624 wireless routers and the following config.
> > >

> > > PC1 --> Wireless router 1 --> Wireless router 2 --> PC2 --> Ethernet
> > Switch
> > >

> > > PC1 : has 192.168.0.102
> > > Wireless router 1 : 192.168.0.101 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
> > > PC2 : 192.168.0.112
> > > Wireless router 2 : 192.168.0.111 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
> > >
> > > from PC1 I cannot ping wireless router 2 ....What I have to do?
> > >
> > > MAP
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 5:19:31 AM

You'll need to put the routers into Wireless Bridge mode. Many routers and
access-points can do this, but it's not possible if they're different
brands. This feature depends on something called Wireless Distribution
System (WDS). There is no standard yet for WDS (802.11F is in the works),
so mixed brands don't work yet.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
news:p Jcrc.109190$MH.23291707@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...
> It is possible, desirable, and usual to have all your computers in one
LAN.
> But the broadband modem can't be in that LAN. So one of your devices must
> have 2 NICs and connect to the LAN with one and to the broadband modem
with
> the other. That device could be a dedicated router, or it could be a
> computer in the role of a router (such as a computer running ICS).
>
> Is there an internet connection in your planned configuration, or are you
> just trying to wirelessly bridge two wired Ethernets together? If it's
the
> latter, try this:
> Wired-LAN-1 ----- LANjack--router1 ))) ((( router2--LANjack -----
> Wired-LAN-2
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
>
> "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > yes PC2 is a router itself with 3 NICs.
> > My objective is to have all the computers in 1 LAN. Ideally I thought
> > that the wireless routers could act as ethernet hubs/switch (but
> > wirelessly), so anything connected to it is in the same network. It's
> > possible to do that? How?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Leiv
> >
> > "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> > > Do you have PC2 and the Ethernet switch reversed in your diagram, or
do
> you
> > > really have 2 NICs in PC2?
> > >
> > > You don't show which jacks are being used. Is it like this:
> > > PC1 ----- LANjack1--router1--LANjack2 -----
> WANjack--router2--LANjack -----
> > > Switch ----- PC2 ?
> > > If you are using the WAN jack on just one router, then you have 2
> networks.
> > > If you are connecting the 2 WAN jacks together, then you have 3
> networks.
> > > If you aren't using either of the WAN jacks, then you have only 1
> network
> > > and your addressing scheme should be working. Since it isn't working,
> > > assume that the last setup isn't yours.
> > >
> > > Each network needs its own network address. Assuming a subnet mask of
> > > 255.255.255.0, then one network could be 192.168.0.x, while another
> could be
> > > 192.168.1.x. Every host on a network must have a host address that
> conforms
> > > to the network address of the host's network.
> > >
> > > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
> > >
> > > "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Switch

Anonymous
May 21, 2004 3:32:14 PM

Thanks.
I cannot see this option in my wireless routers (I have 2 Netgear wgt624)

do you (or any other) know how to do it with this router?

Leiv

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message news:<DOcrc.109217$MH.23306560@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> You'll need to put the routers into Wireless Bridge mode. Many routers and
> access-points can do this, but it's not possible if they're different
> brands. This feature depends on something called Wireless Distribution
> System (WDS). There is no standard yet for WDS (802.11F is in the works),
> so mixed brands don't work yet.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
>
> "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> news:p Jcrc.109190$MH.23291707@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...
> > It is possible, desirable, and usual to have all your computers in one
> LAN.
> > But the broadband modem can't be in that LAN. So one of your devices must
> > have 2 NICs and connect to the LAN with one and to the broadband modem
> with
> > the other. That device could be a dedicated router, or it could be a
> > computer in the role of a router (such as a computer running ICS).
> >
> > Is there an internet connection in your planned configuration, or are you
> > just trying to wirelessly bridge two wired Ethernets together? If it's
> the
> > latter, try this:
> > Wired-LAN-1 ----- LANjack--router1 ))) ((( router2--LANjack -----
> > Wired-LAN-2
> >
> > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
> >
> > "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > yes PC2 is a router itself with 3 NICs.
> > > My objective is to have all the computers in 1 LAN. Ideally I thought
> > > that the wireless routers could act as ethernet hubs/switch (but
> > > wirelessly), so anything connected to it is in the same network. It's
> > > possible to do that? How?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Leiv
> > >
> > > "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> do
> you

> WANjack--router2--LANjack -----
> networks.
> networks.
> network

> could be
> conforms

> Switch

> channel:11)
> channel:11)

Anonymous
May 22, 2004 3:48:33 PM

XP zero configururation feature will not recognize 2wireless devices with
the same SSID name. Chnage one of the routers ssid name.

!