connect 2 wireless routers

Hi,
I have 2 netgear wgt624 wireless routers and the following config.

PC1 --> Wireless router 1 --> Wireless router 2 --> PC2 --> Ethernet Switch

PC1 : has 192.168.0.102
Wireless router 1 : 192.168.0.101 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
PC2 : 192.168.0.112
Wireless router 2 : 192.168.0.111 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)

from PC1 I cannot ping wireless router 2 ....What I have to do?

MAP
11 answers Last reply
More about connect wireless routers

    If both wireless routers are configured as routers - then they are working
    correctly and PC1 and PC2 will never ping each other.

    You have basically setup two private networks, each behind a router, that
    happen to have the same TCP/IP addressing scheme. Your setup is such that
    this is the same reason you cannot ping my PC....or why I cannot ping your
    PC.

    What are you trying to do?

    "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have 2 netgear wgt624 wireless routers and the following config.
    >

    > PC1 --> Wireless router 1 --> Wireless router 2 --> PC2 --> Ethernet
    Switch

    > PC1 : has 192.168.0.102
    > Wireless router 1 : 192.168.0.101 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
    > PC2 : 192.168.0.112
    > Wireless router 2 : 192.168.0.111 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
    >
    > from PC1 I cannot ping wireless router 2 ....What I have to do?
    >
    > MAP

    I would like to access PC2 and all the computers in that LAN from PC1

    > I would like to access PC2 and all the computers in that
    LAN from PC1

    > "Jim Orfanakos" <jim@-nospam-orfanakos.com> wrote in
    message news:<joSdnZQcDYHZ9zrdRVn_iw@comcast.com>...
    > > If both wireless routers are configured as routers -
    then they are working
    > > correctly and PC1 and PC2 will never ping each other.
    > >
    > > You have basically setup two private networks, each
    behind a router, that
    > > happen to have the same TCP/IP addressing scheme. Your
    setup is such that
    > > this is the same reason you cannot ping my PC....or why
    I cannot ping your
    > > PC.
    > >
    > > What are you trying to do?
    > >
    > > "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > > I have 2 netgear wgt624 wireless routers and the
    following config.

    > > > PC1 --> Wireless router 1 --> Wireless router 2 -->
    PC2 --> Ethernet
    > > Switch
    > > >

    > > > PC1 : has 192.168.0.102
    > > > Wireless router 1 : 192.168.0.101 (not dhcp)
    (SSID:foobar channel:11)
    > > > PC2 : 192.168.0.112
    > > > Wireless router 2 : 192.168.0.111 (not dhcp)
    (SSID:foobar channel:11)

    > > > from PC1 I cannot ping wireless router 2 ....What I
    have to do?

    the connect the two routers LAN to LAN effectively using
    them as Access points.

    P.

    Do you have PC2 and the Ethernet switch reversed in your diagram, or do you
    really have 2 NICs in PC2?

    You don't show which jacks are being used. Is it like this:
    PC1 ----- LANjack1--router1--LANjack2 ----- WANjack--router2--LANjack -----
    Switch ----- PC2 ?
    If you are using the WAN jack on just one router, then you have 2 networks.
    If you are connecting the 2 WAN jacks together, then you have 3 networks.
    If you aren't using either of the WAN jacks, then you have only 1 network
    and your addressing scheme should be working. Since it isn't working, I
    assume that the last setup isn't yours.

    Each network needs its own network address. Assuming a subnet mask of
    255.255.255.0, then one network could be 192.168.0.x, while another could be
    192.168.1.x. Every host on a network must have a host address that conforms
    to the network address of the host's network.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have 2 netgear wgt624 wireless routers and the following config.
    >

    > PC1 --> Wireless router 1 --> Wireless router 2 --> PC2 --> Ethernet
    Switch

    > PC1 : has 192.168.0.102
    > Wireless router 1 : 192.168.0.101 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
    > PC2 : 192.168.0.112
    > Wireless router 2 : 192.168.0.111 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
    >
    > from PC1 I cannot ping wireless router 2 ....What I have to do?
    >
    > MAP

    Please define "access". File Sharing? FTP? HTTP? E-Mail? Web?

    You basically have two LANs with a firewall / NAT protecting each LAN. What
    you are trying to do is the exact opposite functionality that the wireless
    router provides.

    Are these two LANS in the same building? Do you need two diff LANS? are
    you trying to bridge two LANS? Networks? Buildings?

    Please detail your setup, and what you are trying to do in more detail.

    "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I would like to access PC2 and all the computers in that LAN from PC1
    >
    > "Jim Orfanakos" <jim@-nospam-orfanakos.com> wrote in message
    > > If both wireless routers are configured as routers - then they are
    working
    > > correctly and PC1 and PC2 will never ping each other.
    > >
    > > You have basically setup two private networks, each behind a router,
    that
    > > happen to have the same TCP/IP addressing scheme. Your setup is such
    that
    > > this is the same reason you cannot ping my PC....or why I cannot ping
    your
    > > PC.
    > >
    > > What are you trying to do?
    > >
    > > "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > > I have 2 netgear wgt624 wireless routers and the following config.
    > > >

    > > > PC1 --> Wireless router 1 --> Wireless router 2 --> PC2 --> Ethernet
    > > Switch
    > > >

    > > > PC1 : has 192.168.0.102
    > > > Wireless router 1 : 192.168.0.101 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
    > > > PC2 : 192.168.0.112
    > > > Wireless router 2 : 192.168.0.111 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
    > > >
    > > > from PC1 I cannot ping wireless router 2 ....What I have to do?
    > > >
    > > > MAP

    yes PC2 is a router itself with 3 NICs.
    My objective is to have all the computers in 1 LAN. Ideally I thought
    that the wireless routers could act as ethernet hubs/switch (but
    wirelessly), so anything connected to it is in the same network. It's
    possible to do that? How?

    Thanks

    Leiv

    "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message news:<WPUpc.22788$MH.8082015@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
    > Do you have PC2 and the Ethernet switch reversed in your diagram, or do you
    > really have 2 NICs in PC2?
    >
    > You don't show which jacks are being used. Is it like this:
    > PC1 ----- LANjack1--router1--LANjack2 ----- WANjack--router2--LANjack -----
    > Switch ----- PC2 ?
    > If you are using the WAN jack on just one router, then you have 2 networks.
    > If you are connecting the 2 WAN jacks together, then you have 3 networks.
    > If you aren't using either of the WAN jacks, then you have only 1 network
    > and your addressing scheme should be working. Since it isn't working, I
    > assume that the last setup isn't yours.
    >
    > Each network needs its own network address. Assuming a subnet mask of
    > 255.255.255.0, then one network could be 192.168.0.x, while another could be
    > 192.168.1.x. Every host on a network must have a host address that conforms
    > to the network address of the host's network.
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    >
    > "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I have 2 netgear wgt624 wireless routers and the following config.
    > >

    > > PC1 --> Wireless router 1 --> Wireless router 2 --> PC2 --> Ethernet
    > Switch
    > >

    > > PC1 : has 192.168.0.102
    > > Wireless router 1 : 192.168.0.101 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
    > > PC2 : 192.168.0.112
    > > Wireless router 2 : 192.168.0.111 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
    > >
    > > from PC1 I cannot ping wireless router 2 ....What I have to do?
    > >
    > > MAP

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 00:29:01 -0700, Leiv wrote
    (in article <51380357.0405192329.79ca011f@posting.google.com>):

    > yes PC2 is a router itself with 3 NICs.
    > My objective is to have all the computers in 1 LAN. Ideally I thought
    > that the wireless routers could act as ethernet hubs/switch (but
    > wirelessly), so anything connected to it is in the same network. It's
    > possible to do that? How?

    If I understand, you are trying to bridge the gap between the 2 routers.

    You need a wireless bridge. Your 2 routers are in AP mode. In this mode, they
    can communicate only with clients (wireless cards in computers, etc.), but
    not another AP.

    Only a bridge can communicate with an AP.

    Senao makes a very flexible product. It can operate in AP mode or Bridge
    mode, and the transmit power (~200mW) is among the highest:

    http://tinyurl.com/ywbrs

    Good luck,
    --
    DaveC
    me@privacy.net

    It is possible, desirable, and usual to have all your computers in one LAN.
    But the broadband modem can't be in that LAN. So one of your devices must
    have 2 NICs and connect to the LAN with one and to the broadband modem with
    the other. That device could be a dedicated router, or it could be a
    computer in the role of a router (such as a computer running ICS).

    Is there an internet connection in your planned configuration, or are you
    just trying to wirelessly bridge two wired Ethernets together? If it's the
    latter, try this:
    Wired-LAN-1 ----- LANjack--router1 ))) ((( router2--LANjack -----
    Wired-LAN-2

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    > yes PC2 is a router itself with 3 NICs.
    > My objective is to have all the computers in 1 LAN. Ideally I thought
    > that the wireless routers could act as ethernet hubs/switch (but
    > wirelessly), so anything connected to it is in the same network. It's
    > possible to do that? How?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Leiv
    >
    > "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > > Do you have PC2 and the Ethernet switch reversed in your diagram, or do
    you
    > > really have 2 NICs in PC2?
    > >
    > > You don't show which jacks are being used. Is it like this:
    > > PC1 ----- LANjack1--router1--LANjack2 -----
    WANjack--router2--LANjack -----
    > > Switch ----- PC2 ?
    > > If you are using the WAN jack on just one router, then you have 2
    networks.
    > > If you are connecting the 2 WAN jacks together, then you have 3
    networks.
    > > If you aren't using either of the WAN jacks, then you have only 1
    network
    > > and your addressing scheme should be working. Since it isn't working, I
    > > assume that the last setup isn't yours.
    > >
    > > Each network needs its own network address. Assuming a subnet mask of
    > > 255.255.255.0, then one network could be 192.168.0.x, while another
    could be
    > > 192.168.1.x. Every host on a network must have a host address that
    conforms
    > > to the network address of the host's network.
    > >
    > > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    > >
    > > "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > > I have 2 netgear wgt624 wireless routers and the following config.
    > > >

    > > > PC1 --> Wireless router 1 --> Wireless router 2 --> PC2 --> Ethernet
    > > Switch
    > > >

    > > > PC1 : has 192.168.0.102
    > > > Wireless router 1 : 192.168.0.101 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
    > > > PC2 : 192.168.0.112
    > > > Wireless router 2 : 192.168.0.111 (not dhcp) (SSID:foobar channel:11)
    > > >
    > > > from PC1 I cannot ping wireless router 2 ....What I have to do?
    > > >
    > > > MAP

    You'll need to put the routers into Wireless Bridge mode. Many routers and
    access-points can do this, but it's not possible if they're different
    brands. This feature depends on something called Wireless Distribution
    System (WDS). There is no standard yet for WDS (802.11F is in the works),
    so mixed brands don't work yet.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    > It is possible, desirable, and usual to have all your computers in one
    LAN.
    > But the broadband modem can't be in that LAN. So one of your devices must
    > have 2 NICs and connect to the LAN with one and to the broadband modem
    with
    > the other. That device could be a dedicated router, or it could be a
    > computer in the role of a router (such as a computer running ICS).
    >
    > Is there an internet connection in your planned configuration, or are you
    > just trying to wirelessly bridge two wired Ethernets together? If it's
    the
    > latter, try this:
    > Wired-LAN-1 ----- LANjack--router1 ))) ((( router2--LANjack -----
    > Wired-LAN-2
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    >
    > "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > yes PC2 is a router itself with 3 NICs.
    > > My objective is to have all the computers in 1 LAN. Ideally I thought
    > > that the wireless routers could act as ethernet hubs/switch (but
    > > wirelessly), so anything connected to it is in the same network. It's
    > > possible to do that? How?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Leiv
    > >
    > > "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > > > Do you have PC2 and the Ethernet switch reversed in your diagram, or
    do
    > you
    > > > really have 2 NICs in PC2?
    > > >
    > > > You don't show which jacks are being used. Is it like this:
    > > > PC1 ----- LANjack1--router1--LANjack2 -----
    > WANjack--router2--LANjack -----
    > > > Switch ----- PC2 ?
    > > > If you are using the WAN jack on just one router, then you have 2
    > networks.
    > > > If you are connecting the 2 WAN jacks together, then you have 3
    > networks.
    > > > If you aren't using either of the WAN jacks, then you have only 1
    > network
    > > > and your addressing scheme should be working. Since it isn't working,
    > > > assume that the last setup isn't yours.
    > > >
    > > > Each network needs its own network address. Assuming a subnet mask of
    > > > 255.255.255.0, then one network could be 192.168.0.x, while another
    > could be
    > > > 192.168.1.x. Every host on a network must have a host address that
    > conforms
    > > > to the network address of the host's network.
    > > >
    > > > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    > > >
    > > > "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > > Switch

    Thanks.
    I cannot see this option in my wireless routers (I have 2 Netgear wgt624)

    do you (or any other) know how to do it with this router?

    Leiv

    "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message news:<DOcrc.109217$MH.23306560@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
    > You'll need to put the routers into Wireless Bridge mode. Many routers and
    > access-points can do this, but it's not possible if they're different
    > brands. This feature depends on something called Wireless Distribution
    > System (WDS). There is no standard yet for WDS (802.11F is in the works),
    > so mixed brands don't work yet.
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    >
    > "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > > It is possible, desirable, and usual to have all your computers in one
    > LAN.
    > > But the broadband modem can't be in that LAN. So one of your devices must
    > > have 2 NICs and connect to the LAN with one and to the broadband modem
    > with
    > > the other. That device could be a dedicated router, or it could be a
    > > computer in the role of a router (such as a computer running ICS).
    > >
    > > Is there an internet connection in your planned configuration, or are you
    > > just trying to wirelessly bridge two wired Ethernets together? If it's
    > the
    > > latter, try this:
    > > Wired-LAN-1 ----- LANjack--router1 ))) ((( router2--LANjack -----
    > > Wired-LAN-2
    > >
    > > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    > >
    > > "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > yes PC2 is a router itself with 3 NICs.
    > > > My objective is to have all the computers in 1 LAN. Ideally I thought
    > > > that the wireless routers could act as ethernet hubs/switch (but
    > > > wirelessly), so anything connected to it is in the same network. It's
    > > > possible to do that? How?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > Leiv
    > > >
    > > > "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > do
    > you

    > WANjack--router2--LANjack -----
    > networks.
    > networks.
    > network

    > could be
    > conforms

    > Switch

    > channel:11)
    > channel:11)

    XP zero configururation feature will not recognize 2wireless devices with
    the same SSID name. Chnage one of the routers ssid name.
    "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > You'll need to put the routers into Wireless Bridge mode. Many routers
    and
    > access-points can do this, but it's not possible if they're different
    > brands. This feature depends on something called Wireless Distribution
    > System (WDS). There is no standard yet for WDS (802.11F is in the works),
    > so mixed brands don't work yet.
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    >
    > "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > > It is possible, desirable, and usual to have all your computers in one
    > LAN.
    > > But the broadband modem can't be in that LAN. So one of your devices
    must
    > > have 2 NICs and connect to the LAN with one and to the broadband modem
    > with
    > > the other. That device could be a dedicated router, or it could be a
    > > computer in the role of a router (such as a computer running ICS).
    > >
    > > Is there an internet connection in your planned configuration, or are
    you
    > > just trying to wirelessly bridge two wired Ethernets together? If it's
    > the
    > > latter, try this:
    > > Wired-LAN-1 ----- LANjack--router1 ))) ((( router2--LANjack -----
    > > Wired-LAN-2
    > >
    > > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    > >
    > > "Leiv" <penexxl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > yes PC2 is a router itself with 3 NICs.
    > > > My objective is to have all the computers in 1 LAN. Ideally I thought
    > > > that the wireless routers could act as ethernet hubs/switch (but
    > > > wirelessly), so anything connected to it is in the same network. It's
    > > > possible to do that? How?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > Leiv
    > > >
    > > > "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > do
    > > you

    > > WANjack--router2--LANjack -----
    > > networks.
    > > networks.
    > > network

    > > could be
    > > conforms

    Ethernet

    > channel:11)
    > channel:11)

Wireless Router Connection Wireless Networking