Pc Problem

August 3, 2005 4:21:33 PM

Ive got a self built Pc with
Asus K8V Deluxe
256 DDR Ram pc3200 400MHz, CL3 (one stick)
200Gig SATA HDD
128mg FX5200 Video Card
Last month i got a new stick of RAM the same type and company, when i put it
in Bioss says 512 windows loaded and just before the welcome screen (windows
xp sp2) there will be a black screen with a mouse arrow then 3 secounds
later it reboots and goes around and around, the new ram workes by its self,
there are 3 slots on the MoBo, and ive put them in every order and nothing
working, tryed installing XP and repairing but it freezes before it starts
doing any work, ive tryed with out all the extras (modem, sound, network, tv
card) and that didnt help.) i tryed differetn stick of ram and same
problem., safe mode stops loading at Drvmain.sdb, all the other same modes,
vga modes donst gt anyware, they all make the PC reboot.
I NEED HELP, ANY IDEAS?

More about : problem

August 3, 2005 4:21:34 PM

In news:42f0b6c5$1@grungy,
Matthew Brawn <brawnmr@tsn.cc> had this to say:

> Ive got a self built Pc with
> Asus K8V Deluxe
> 256 DDR Ram pc3200 400MHz, CL3 (one stick)
> 200Gig SATA HDD
> 128mg FX5200 Video Card
> Last month i got a new stick of RAM the same type and company, when i
> put it in Bioss says 512 windows loaded and just before the welcome
> screen (windows xp sp2) there will be a black screen with a mouse
> arrow then 3 secounds later it reboots and goes around and around,
> the new ram workes by its self, there are 3 slots on the MoBo, and
> ive put them in every order and nothing working, tryed installing XP
> and repairing but it freezes before it starts doing any work, ive
> tryed with out all the extras (modem, sound, network, tv card) and
> that didnt help.) i tryed differetn stick of ram and same problem.,
> safe mode stops loading at Drvmain.sdb, all the other same modes, vga
> modes donst gt anyware, they all make the PC reboot. I NEED HELP, ANY
> IDEAS?

I don't know if your MOBO is set to allow Dual Channel or not. If it is
allowed and enabled in your BIOS then you might have to disable it. Having
it enabled and then mis-matched sticks of RAM installed might cause the
error you're seeing.

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

You can scan there and see if it is an option on your board but it's likely
in the manual which you should have seeing as you built it yourself. Until
you can afford a second stick or one arrives in the mail you're better off
with just the 512. When you do upgrade you'd want to upgrade to a second
512.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes