windows won't boot

Stephan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

I may have done something very foolish but I would appreciate any help some
of you might offer.

I have 512MB RAM on my XP-SP2 system and was noticing sluggish performance
running Adobe Photoshop. I increased the memory on Paging File from 750 MB to
2 GB and noticed an increase in performance--although I began noticing
wavering in the display. The next two times I rebooted Windows ran chkdsk and
was deleting "orphaned indexes"--yet booted up fine--Shame on me for not
making the connection and readjusting the system THEN...

Anyway, the third time I rebooted Windows comes up to the point just where
it's about to change screens from the flashing blue status bar to the WELCOME
screen--but then it shuts down and reboots...over and over and over.

I can't get Windows to come up--I tried to Repair Console, and although I'm
not very familiar with it--can't detect previous installations--although all
the files are there.

Now I did do a separate installation of Windows in a separate folder to be
able to access my data and I have reinstalled a FEW applications--Office,
etc.--but I would really like to resurrect my previous installation.

I am researching Microsoft for answers so don't think I'm being lazy. Please
help if you can.

Thank you so much

Hi everyone,

I need some help to put a password on a folder on my computer.

Could you help me, please?

Anacacis

"stephan" <stephan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> The third time I rebooted Windows
> comes up to the point just where it's about
> to change screens from the flashing blue
> status bar to the WELCOME screen--but
> then it shuts down and reboots...
> over and over and over.

This may be due to a driver problem. But I wouldn't rule out bad
motherboard, memory or hard drive quite yet.

To determine which driver might be causing the problem you need to enable
driver verifier.
Steps:
1) Windows Key + R
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
the Safe Mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
the blue screen will hopefully say something like
"DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOL­ATION". If this occurs please post (copy &
paste) the corresponding minidump (by default it is at
c:\windows\Minidump ).

Alternatively I would look for tips at this link.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
OR
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=878474

Finally, have you tried to run chkdsk?

If not, then boot from your XP Installation CD and then press a key to boot
from CD (when prompted).

Select the 2nd option by pressing R at the first screen.

Select the number for the appropriate folder on you hard drive, Typically
you press "1" for C:\WINDOWS.

When prompted for a password press enter (for a blank p/w).

When C:\WINDOWS is displayed type the following:
chkdsk /r

This will take a while (perhaps up to an hour.) I can't recall exactly as I
have not run chkdsk recently. It should locate bad sectors and recover
readable information.

Keep us posted.

--
Michael