what would cause Network Connections and System applets to..

My computer is running XP Pro SP2 with AMD Athlon XP 2100+ CPU running on MSI
K7T266Pro2RU motherboard. Just yesterday I discovered that I cannot open the
Network connections or the System applet. It does not matter how I get to
them. If I go through the Control Panel and click on System or Network
Connections, it just sits there. If I bring up the task manager, I see
varying CPU usage by the Explorer process, but that is it. The result is the
same if I right click on "My Computer" or "My Network Places" and choose
"Properties". I tried rolling back to an earlier Restore Point, but it
behaved the same. I had done no software installations. I did recently
install a Creative Modem Blaster PCI modem a few weeks back, but it had been
working fine up until yesterday. I have the latest Mcafee Virusscan and I ran
a complete search and it found nothing. I am not sure what to do besides
reloading, but I was hoping that someone has seen this before?

Thanks,
Conrad

Application Has Failed to Start Because Framedyn.dll Was Not Found Error Message When You Open the System Properties Dialog B:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319114

My guess would be some problem in the WBEM and WMI stuff. I would also try removing the temp repository for the WMI.

Delete the files in the REPOSITORY folders (..\system32\wbem) (you will have to turn off the winmanagement service to do that) 'net
stop winmgmt'

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Conrad" <Conrad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80629B4B-A017-46ED-9025-88D4311AF761@microsoft.com...
> My computer is running XP Pro SP2 with AMD Athlon XP 2100+ CPU running on MSI
> K7T266Pro2RU motherboard. Just yesterday I discovered that I cannot open the
> Network connections or the System applet. It does not matter how I get to
> them. If I go through the Control Panel and click on System or Network
> Connections, it just sits there. If I bring up the task manager, I see
> varying CPU usage by the Explorer process, but that is it. The result is the
> same if I right click on "My Computer" or "My Network Places" and choose
> "Properties". I tried rolling back to an earlier Restore Point, but it
> behaved the same. I had done no software installations. I did recently
> install a Creative Modem Blaster PCI modem a few weeks back, but it had been
> working fine up until yesterday. I have the latest Mcafee Virusscan and I ran
> a complete search and it found nothing. I am not sure what to do besides
> reloading, but I was hoping that someone has seen this before?
>
> Thanks,
> Conrad

I tried this and it did not help.

The problem occurs with both the System and Network control panel applets.
Also, there is no error message. The desired windows never appear, and all I
could see going on in the process listing of the Task Manager was the
Explorer process having some varying amount of CPU usage. If I come up in
safe mode then there is no problem. I guess I am out of luck and need to
reload?

Conrad

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Application Has Failed to Start Because Framedyn.dll Was Not Found Error Message When You Open the System Properties Dialog B:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319114
>
> My guess would be some problem in the WBEM and WMI stuff. I would also try removing the temp repository for the WMI.
>
> Delete the files in the REPOSITORY folders (..\system32\wbem) (you will have to turn off the winmanagement service to do that) 'net
> stop winmgmt'
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Conrad" <Conrad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80629B4B-A017-46ED-9025-88D4311AF761@microsoft.com...
> > My computer is running XP Pro SP2 with AMD Athlon XP 2100+ CPU running on MSI
> > K7T266Pro2RU motherboard. Just yesterday I discovered that I cannot open the
> > Network connections or the System applet. It does not matter how I get to
> > them. If I go through the Control Panel and click on System or Network
> > Connections, it just sits there. If I bring up the task manager, I see
> > varying CPU usage by the Explorer process, but that is it. The result is the
> > same if I right click on "My Computer" or "My Network Places" and choose
> > "Properties". I tried rolling back to an earlier Restore Point, but it
> > behaved the same. I had done no software installations. I did recently
> > install a Creative Modem Blaster PCI modem a few weeks back, but it had been
> > working fine up until yesterday. I have the latest Mcafee Virusscan and I ran
> > a complete search and it found nothing. I am not sure what to do besides
> > reloading, but I was hoping that someone has seen this before?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Conrad

I guess I will go ahead and reload since nobody seems to have seen this sort
of problem before?

Conrad