Replacement Dell Latitude HD

The 10G HD in my Dell Latitude C400 has just died a horrible death. I
replaced the drive with a Hitachi Travelstar 30G and installed Windows
XP Pro on it. But it didn't work as the OS would only boot up in
640x480 resolution with 16bit colour. I haven't checked to see if
there's any other problems.

My question is, is there something different with these HDs? Am I
seeing a hardware problem or OS installation problem?

Thanks for any suggestion.

In message <250520051627033786%Artoi@hotmail.com> of Wed, 25 May 2005
06:27:03 in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Artoi <Artoi@hotmail.com> writes
>The 10G HD in my Dell Latitude C400 has just died a horrible death. I
>replaced the drive with a Hitachi Travelstar 30G and installed Windows
>XP Pro on it. But it didn't work as the OS would only boot up in
>640x480 resolution with 16bit colour. I haven't checked to see if
>there's any other problems.
>
>My question is, is there something different with these HDs? Am I
>seeing a hardware problem or OS installation problem?

It is probably a video driver issue. You should be able to find the
right driver on a Dell support site using the service tag to focus the
search. I use http://support.euro.dell.com
You may even have a drivers CD supplied when you bought the system.
--
Walter Briscoe

Artoi wrote:

> The 10G HD in my Dell Latitude C400 has just died a horrible death. I
> replaced the drive with a Hitachi Travelstar 30G and installed Windows
> XP Pro on it. But it didn't work as the OS would only boot up in
> 640x480 resolution with 16bit colour. I haven't checked to see if
> there's any other problems.
>
> My question is, is there something different with these HDs? Am I
> seeing a hardware problem or OS installation problem?
>
> Thanks for any suggestion.
>
> --

In addition to the other comments, make sure to check the device manager
to see if anything else is missing.

Bob

"Artoi" <Artoi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>snip

Was the Hitachi new or used? Sounds like it's got the wrong drivers
installed on it, and if that's the case it's a secondhand unit.

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Most importantly you should install the chip set drivers 1st before anything
else after the OS
"Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Artoi wrote:
>
>> The 10G HD in my Dell Latitude C400 has just died a horrible death. I
>> replaced the drive with a Hitachi Travelstar 30G and installed Windows
>> XP Pro on it. But it didn't work as the OS would only boot up in
>> 640x480 resolution with 16bit colour. I haven't checked to see if
>> there's any other problems.
>>
>> My question is, is there something different with these HDs? Am I
>> seeing a hardware problem or OS installation problem?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestion.
>>
>> --
>
> In addition to the other comments, make sure to check the device manager
> to see if anything else is missing.
>
> Bob

Thanks to all who replied. It indeed was a video driver issue and the
download from Dell's support fixed that problem. I did not find a chip
set driver from my C400, so I guess the default one is ok.

At least it's good that the C400 is back in production on my desk. :)