Problems getting Internet Connection Sharing to work over ..

I have a wired and wireless network.

All systems are running XP

One system connects to the internet and then shares the internet connection
using Windows ICS tool

The computers connected to the network via wires can see the internet
connection and can connect to the internet

The computer trying to connect to the internet via wireless cannot see the
internet connection - however I can ping the wireless laptop, and the
wireless laptop can ping the system sharing the internet connection, and I
can transfer files between the two

Any ideas? thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about problems internet connection sharing work

    Check the firewall settings in the laptop.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "Chris Gibbins" <newsgroups@losimagic.net> wrote in message
    > I have a wired and wireless network.
    >
    > All systems are running XP
    >
    > One system connects to the internet and then shares the internet
    connection
    > using Windows ICS tool
    >
    > The computers connected to the network via wires can see the internet
    > connection and can connect to the internet
    >
    > The computer trying to connect to the internet via wireless cannot see the
    > internet connection - however I can ping the wireless laptop, and the
    > wireless laptop can ping the system sharing the internet connection, and I
    > can transfer files between the two
    >
    > Any ideas? thanks

    "Chris Gibbins" <newsgroups@losimagic.net> wrote in

    > I have a wired and wireless network.
    >
    > All systems are running XP
    >
    > One system connects to the internet and then shares the internet
    > connection using Windows ICS tool
    >
    > The computers connected to the network via wires can see the internet
    > connection and can connect to the internet
    >
    > The computer trying to connect to the internet via wireless cannot see
    > the internet connection - however I can ping the wireless laptop, and
    > the wireless laptop can ping the system sharing the internet
    > connection, and I can transfer files between the two
    >
    > Any ideas? thanks

    What IP is the wireless computer getting? If it's getting a 169 IP then
    the computer is having trouble getting an IP from the DHCP server on the
    ICS host machine. The IP will allow the machine to work on the LAN ping
    and share files. But the IP will not allow the machine to go the
    Internet. This is usually do to a mis-configuration of the NIC.

    The TCP/IP stack can be hosed at this point as well still producing the
    169 IP condition. You should try using the wire connection on the machine
    to see if the stack is not hosed before proceeding further, if the
    machine is getting the 169 IP.

    Duane :)

    Am I correct in assuming you have shared the Internet via two NICs in the
    one ICS computer--one wireless and one Ethernet?
    If so, that's your problem. Disable the wireless NIC in the ICs computer,
    connect the Ethernet NIC to a hub from which connect the other wired
    computers and also add a connection to an Accesspoint for wireless
    connections.

    "Chris Gibbins" <newsgroups@losimagic.net> wrote in message
    > I have a wired and wireless network.
    >
    > All systems are running XP
    >
    > One system connects to the internet and then shares the internet
    connection
    > using Windows ICS tool
    >
    > The computers connected to the network via wires can see the internet
    > connection and can connect to the internet
    >
    > The computer trying to connect to the internet via wireless cannot see the
    > internet connection - however I can ping the wireless laptop, and the
    > wireless laptop can ping the system sharing the internet connection, and I
    > can transfer files between the two
    >
    > Any ideas? thanks

    I am running Norton's Firewall on all systems, And i've tried disabling it
    on all systems, but the problem remains :(

    "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > Check the firewall settings in the laptop.
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    >
    > "Chris Gibbins" <newsgroups@losimagic.net> wrote in message
    > > I have a wired and wireless network.
    > >
    > > All systems are running XP
    > >
    > > One system connects to the internet and then shares the internet
    > connection
    > > using Windows ICS tool
    > >
    > > The computers connected to the network via wires can see the internet
    > > connection and can connect to the internet
    > >
    > > The computer trying to connect to the internet via wireless cannot see
    the
    > > internet connection - however I can ping the wireless laptop, and the
    > > wireless laptop can ping the system sharing the internet connection, and
    > > can transfer files between the two
    > >
    > > Any ideas? thanks

    John,

    Are you saying to connect the broadband modem, ICS computer, wired clients,
    and access point all to the same hub? That would be wrong. The link
    between the broadband modem and the ICS computer must be in a different
    subnet than the LAN containing clients. An ICS computer always has 2 NICs.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
    > Am I correct in assuming you have shared the Internet via two NICs in the
    > one ICS computer--one wireless and one Ethernet?
    > If so, that's your problem. Disable the wireless NIC in the ICs computer,
    > connect the Ethernet NIC to a hub from which connect the other wired
    > computers and also add a connection to an Accesspoint for wireless
    > connections.
    >

    > "Chris Gibbins" <newsgroups@losimagic.net> wrote in message
    > > I have a wired and wireless network.
    > >
    > > All systems are running XP
    > >
    > > One system connects to the internet and then shares the internet
    > connection
    > > using Windows ICS tool
    > >
    > > The computers connected to the network via wires can see the internet
    > > connection and can connect to the internet
    > >
    > > The computer trying to connect to the internet via wireless cannot see
    the
    > > internet connection - however I can ping the wireless laptop, and the
    > > wireless laptop can ping the system sharing the internet connection, and
    > > can transfer files between the two
    > >
    > > Any ideas? thanks

    Ron,

    Nothing was mentioned about a broadband modem so I assumed, possibly
    incorrectly, he had a regular modem connected via serial port. Then he had
    another wired computer connected to the ICS comp via an Ethernet NIC and
    then also the wireless NIC in the ICS comp. To quote:

    > John,
    >
    > Are you saying to connect the broadband modem, ICS computer, wired
    clients,
    > and access point all to the same hub? That would be wrong. The link
    > between the broadband modem and the ICS computer must be in a different
    > subnet than the LAN containing clients. An ICS computer always has 2
    NICs.

    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    >
    > "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
    > > Am I correct in assuming you have shared the Internet via two NICs in
    the
    > > one ICS computer--one wireless and one Ethernet?
    > > If so, that's your problem. Disable the wireless NIC in the ICs
    computer,
    > > connect the Ethernet NIC to a hub from which connect the other wired
    > > computers and also add a connection to an Accesspoint for wireless
    > > connections.
    > >

    > > "Chris Gibbins" <newsgroups@losimagic.net> wrote in message
    > > > I have a wired and wireless network.
    > > >
    > > > All systems are running XP
    > > >
    > > > One system connects to the internet and then shares the internet
    > > connection
    > > > using Windows ICS tool
    > > >
    > > > The computers connected to the network via wires can see the internet
    > > > connection and can connect to the internet
    > > >
    > > > The computer trying to connect to the internet via wireless cannot see
    > the
    > > > internet connection - however I can ping the wireless laptop, and the
    > > > wireless laptop can ping the system sharing the internet connection,
    and
    > > > can transfer files between the two
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas? thanks

Wireless Connection Internet Connection Internet Wireless Networking