BMW, Mercedes Integrating Intel Atom Into Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

get back to me when it comes into everyday cars and not just luxury cars

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]radiowars[/nom]@njkid3Since when do "everyday" cars have computers in them?[/citation]
All modern cars have some sort of computer in them. Everything is controlled electronically nowadays.

This is mostly just another toy for those who have the money for it. Any smart person would look at that and say "I can buy a new laptop cheaper and I don't need to be in the car to use it." But hey this may also clear the way for cheaper cars to have them as an option, who knows for sure.

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]radiowars[/nom]@njkid3Since when do "everyday" cars have computers in them?[/citation]

Since "everyday" cars began using fuel injection widely in the early 80's. It was actually commercialy available much earlier than that.

G

So,will it be an Atom Z series, or an Atom N series?
Single core, or dual core?
@800 or 1.667Mhz?

The Z-series would make sense, seeing that other than playing back radio, and some advanced GPS functions, and a visual feedback system from the car's electronic sensors, the display isn't really used for a lot.
Perhaps the Atom will be good enough to provide the fluid frame 720p nightvision from the BMW series; but I doubt anyone is going to drive their cars looking at the screen instead of the road.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
God, this is why I hate extras on cars, they make what is the equivalent of a few hundred dollar net book seem like some elite luxury that will only be available on the most expensive models. like it takes some sort of magic to integrate these devices into cars...

G

Great more useless shit to shove in a car. But i guess it is a luxury brand but seriously i want less in my car i don't want more.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
It sounds like Harman International is looking to take many of the capabilities in today's cars already and provide a better presentation. How about progessive scan HD video and high quality mp3 playback off of a solid state drive, GPS with fine 60fps animation, multi-touch screens, etc. All of this technology will come down the pipe into cars < $20k soon enough.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]thatcrazyguy[/nom]But will the cars play crysis?[/citation]
=D
Only Ferrari's will have a fast enough chip. It'd take a McLaren to max it though.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]radiowars[/nom]Since when do "everyday" cars have computers in them?[/citation]
Since the 70s when fuel injection became fashionable. The computers have developed since then into easiy programmable units, but they've existed for a long time.

freshazzburu

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
CarPC's are nothing new. I've had one in my car for almost a year now using the Atom. It looks like this is yet another way they can take what costs 500 bucks in parts and sell it as an option for 3k+ for profit. Check out MP3car.com and see what I'm talking about.

FSC

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I wonder how Intel has threatened these car manufactures…

Maybe: “Use only our underpowered crap in your overpowered cars or else we ask (FORCE) our staff to wee in the fuel tank of every Merzedes and BMW they run into. ARRRWW!!! Fear the revenge of Intel!!!!”

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
This is good and this is bad. What happens when you get the upgrade itch.... You practically need to sell your car to get the one with more memory and faster processing... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.