Soon i will be buying a new laptop, so i wanted to hear your opinion and recommendations on what model should i get.
1. What is your budget? about 1000$, +-100$ if i really like a laptop
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? at least 15,6 inches
3. What screen resolution do you want? As most new laptops have at least HD ready, i do not care much
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Kinda more like desktop replacement
5. How much battery life do you need? 6+ cell is a must
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I play one game only - dota 2, it does not require very powerful computer to run on high settings
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) The main requirement is to have high computing power, intel quad i7 is a must, any RAM over 4gb is OK, 1600 MHz is must.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 750 gb is quite enough, even 500 if other parameters are really good. 7200 rpm is must
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least 3-4 years.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD RW is more than fine
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Definitely no Apple Macshits, no HP's as well (heard their quality is low). Preferred Asus, Dell and Toshiba (heard they have highest quality)
13. What country do you live in? Bulgaria or UK
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
This is kinda the thing i am looking for - high computing power, good graphics card and multimedia, not too big, but fast hard drive. I also prefer to get the machine without installed operating system as its price will be significantly lower and i can get windows completely legally for free from my university.
What are you getting your laptop for? I just bought a Sony Vaio S series 15" for school. It's pretty fast with the i7-3632QM and can handle decent gaming with the Nvidia GT 640M LE 2gb. Also it's ultra-portable weighing at only 4.3 lbs. It cost me about $900, the S Series is on sale atm at Sony Store.
It comes with a CD/DVD Drive, but the RAM is clocked at 1333mhz which sucks. But I upgraded the RAM from the soldered 4GB to 8GB at microcenter for $15... The battery life lasts around 5-5.5 hours on stamina and dimmed screen, there are a few cons here and there, and W8 is meh but definitely look up reviews for it.
It all comes down to what kind of work you're doing on it.