Clay's Multi jamma-- any good?

Last response: in Deals
August 1, 2005 5:56:10 PM

I Have a few games around the shop and wanted to make a multi game for
my arcade. Has anyone used Clay's multi jamma adapter? Also How do you
select between games, Does it have a nice menu or just cuts power?

Thanks for the Advice
Paul

More about : clay multi jamma good

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:29:56 AM

The Duke <Pknific@gmail.com> wrote:
: I Have a few games around the shop and wanted to make a multi game for
: my arcade. Has anyone used Clay's multi jamma adapter? Also How do you
: select between games, Does it have a nice menu or just cuts power?

It doesn't have a menu -- just cycles through the games whne you hit
a button. It *doesn't* cut power, so you need a really beefy power supply
to run all the boards you put in there.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Actually you need multiple power supplies typically. No one supply has
enough juice to power all those boards concurrently.

The Multi-Jamma had it's day.... before AdvanceMame.

Just take an old motherboard, hard drive, ram and basic 4 meg PCI or AGP
video card, load up the games you legally own on it and slap it in the
cabinet and run AdvanceMame / AdvanceMenu on it.

Loads less power usage, and nice menu system, and "legal-enough" provided
you have all your boards stored with it.

"Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
> The Duke <Pknific@gmail.com> wrote:
> : I Have a few games around the shop and wanted to make a multi game for
> : my arcade. Has anyone used Clay's multi jamma adapter? Also How do you
> : select between games, Does it have a nice menu or just cuts power?
>
> It doesn't have a menu -- just cycles through the games whne you hit
> a button. It *doesn't* cut power, so you need a really beefy power supply
> to run all the boards you put in there.
>
> --
> Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
> 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
> Cambridge, MA 02139
> (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

August 2, 2005 7:58:45 AM

ANonEbaySeller <anon@ebayseller.com> wrote:
: Actually you need multiple power supplies typically. No one supply has
: enough juice to power all those boards concurrently.

I've built cabs for people with really beefy supplies...

(ie. 50A on the +5... bus strips for power distribution).

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
August 2, 2005 3:30:38 PM

I've been running his multi-jamma since it came out and love it, I rarely
have to switch gameboards any more with 8 running in one machine! There is
no menu, it simply powers all the boards up and you select through them
one by one. -dan

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, The Duke wrote:

> I Have a few games around the shop and wanted to make a multi game for
> my arcade. Has anyone used Clay's multi jamma adapter? Also How do you
> select between games, Does it have a nice menu or just cuts power?
>
> Thanks for the Advice
> Paul

August 2, 2005 3:34:47 PM

Yeah, generally you add one computer power supply to the jamma cabinet to
power all the boards, no biggie, most people have one sitting around.
Mult-jamma is still cheaper than a MAME set up if you already have the
jamma boards and jamma cabinet and it's a hell of a lot easier to set up.
And that's sans all the arguments about MAME play feeling real or how
legal it is, the cheaper and easier method is still multi-jamma. -dan

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, ANonEbaySeller wrote:

> Actually you need multiple power supplies typically. No one supply has
> enough juice to power all those boards concurrently.
>
> The Multi-Jamma had it's day.... before AdvanceMame.
>
> Just take an old motherboard, hard drive, ram and basic 4 meg PCI or AGP
> video card, load up the games you legally own on it and slap it in the
> cabinet and run AdvanceMame / AdvanceMenu on it.
>
> Loads less power usage, and nice menu system, and "legal-enough" provided
> you have all your boards stored with it.
>

> "Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
>> The Duke <Pknific@gmail.com> wrote:
>> : I Have a few games around the shop and wanted to make a multi game for
>> : my arcade. Has anyone used Clay's multi jamma adapter? Also How do you
>> : select between games, Does it have a nice menu or just cuts power?
>>
>> It doesn't have a menu -- just cycles through the games whne you hit
>> a button. It *doesn't* cut power, so you need a really beefy power supply
>> to run all the boards you put in there.
>>
>> --
>> Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
>> 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
>> Cambridge, MA 02139
>> (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:25:07 AM

Any pictures of how you set up the inside of your cabinet for Clay's kit?
The multi jamma is next on my project list and I'm looking for layout ideas.

Chris M

"Dan" <ten@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
news:p ine.A41.4.61b.0508021129130.353636@homer10.u.washington.edu...
> I've been running his multi-jamma since it came out and love it, I rarely
> have to switch gameboards any more with 8 running in one machine! There is
> no menu, it simply powers all the boards up and you select through them
> one by one. -dan
>

> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, The Duke wrote:
>
>> I Have a few games around the shop and wanted to make a multi game for
>> my arcade. Has anyone used Clay's multi jamma adapter? Also How do you
>> select between games, Does it have a nice menu or just cuts power?
>>
>> Thanks for the Advice
>> Paul

August 3, 2005 2:30:54 PM

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, cnlmoore wrote:

> Any pictures of how you set up the inside of your cabinet for Clay's kit?
> The multi jamma is next on my project list and I'm looking for layout ideas.
>
> Chris M

Nope, but mine is really half-assed, I still need to build a more
permanent rack for the boards. I threw mine together in about 10 minutes
for a party and haven't ever permanently set it up. -dan
!