Closed

Clay's Multi jamma-- any good?

I Have a few games around the shop and wanted to make a multi game for
my arcade. Has anyone used Clay's multi jamma adapter? Also How do you
select between games, Does it have a nice menu or just cuts power?

Thanks for the Advice
Paul
8 answers Last reply
More about clay multi jamma good

    The Duke <Pknific@gmail.com> wrote:
    : I Have a few games around the shop and wanted to make a multi game for
    : my arcade. Has anyone used Clay's multi jamma adapter? Also How do you
    : select between games, Does it have a nice menu or just cuts power?

    It doesn't have a menu -- just cycles through the games whne you hit
    a button. It *doesn't* cut power, so you need a really beefy power supply
    to run all the boards you put in there.

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

    Actually you need multiple power supplies typically. No one supply has
    enough juice to power all those boards concurrently.

    The Multi-Jamma had it's day.... before AdvanceMame.

    Just take an old motherboard, hard drive, ram and basic 4 meg PCI or AGP
    video card, load up the games you legally own on it and slap it in the
    cabinet and run AdvanceMame / AdvanceMenu on it.

    Loads less power usage, and nice menu system, and "legal-enough" provided
    you have all your boards stored with it.

    "Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
    > The Duke <Pknific@gmail.com> wrote:
    > : I Have a few games around the shop and wanted to make a multi game for
    > : my arcade. Has anyone used Clay's multi jamma adapter? Also How do you
    > : select between games, Does it have a nice menu or just cuts power?
    >
    > It doesn't have a menu -- just cycles through the games whne you hit
    > a button. It *doesn't* cut power, so you need a really beefy power supply
    > to run all the boards you put in there.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    > 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
    > Cambridge, MA 02139
    > (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    ANonEbaySeller <anon@ebayseller.com> wrote:
    : Actually you need multiple power supplies typically. No one supply has
    : enough juice to power all those boards concurrently.

    I've built cabs for people with really beefy supplies...

    (ie. 50A on the +5... bus strips for power distribution).

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
    Cambridge, MA 02139
    (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I've been running his multi-jamma since it came out and love it, I rarely
    have to switch gameboards any more with 8 running in one machine! There is
    no menu, it simply powers all the boards up and you select through them
    one by one. -dan

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, The Duke wrote:

    > I Have a few games around the shop and wanted to make a multi game for
    > my arcade. Has anyone used Clay's multi jamma adapter? Also How do you
    > select between games, Does it have a nice menu or just cuts power?
    >
    > Thanks for the Advice
    > Paul

  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Yeah, generally you add one computer power supply to the jamma cabinet to
    power all the boards, no biggie, most people have one sitting around.
    Mult-jamma is still cheaper than a MAME set up if you already have the
    jamma boards and jamma cabinet and it's a hell of a lot easier to set up.
    And that's sans all the arguments about MAME play feeling real or how
    legal it is, the cheaper and easier method is still multi-jamma. -dan

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, ANonEbaySeller wrote:

    > Actually you need multiple power supplies typically. No one supply has
    > enough juice to power all those boards concurrently.
    >
    > The Multi-Jamma had it's day.... before AdvanceMame.
    >
    > Just take an old motherboard, hard drive, ram and basic 4 meg PCI or AGP
    > video card, load up the games you legally own on it and slap it in the
    > cabinet and run AdvanceMame / AdvanceMenu on it.
    >
    > Loads less power usage, and nice menu system, and "legal-enough" provided
    > you have all your boards stored with it.
    >

    > "Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
    >> The Duke <Pknific@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> : I Have a few games around the shop and wanted to make a multi game for
    >> : my arcade. Has anyone used Clay's multi jamma adapter? Also How do you
    >> : select between games, Does it have a nice menu or just cuts power?
    >>
    >> It doesn't have a menu -- just cycles through the games whne you hit
    >> a button. It *doesn't* cut power, so you need a really beefy power supply
    >> to run all the boards you put in there.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    >> 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
    >> Cambridge, MA 02139
    >> (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Any pictures of how you set up the inside of your cabinet for Clay's kit?
    The multi jamma is next on my project list and I'm looking for layout ideas.

    Chris M

    "Dan" <ten@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
    > I've been running his multi-jamma since it came out and love it, I rarely
    > have to switch gameboards any more with 8 running in one machine! There is
    > no menu, it simply powers all the boards up and you select through them
    > one by one. -dan
    >

    > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, The Duke wrote:
    >
    >> I Have a few games around the shop and wanted to make a multi game for
    >> my arcade. Has anyone used Clay's multi jamma adapter? Also How do you
    >> select between games, Does it have a nice menu or just cuts power?
    >>
    >> Thanks for the Advice
    >> Paul

  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I had a Mult-JAMMA'ed Mortal Kombat with Clay's kit and it worked well.
    Ive tried to loosely document some of my set up on my MK MJ page.
    Make sure you have a good power supply and you have your grounds done
    correctly.

    http://www.habos-arcade.com/My%20Multi-Jamma%20Mortal%20Kombat.htm

    Mike
    www.habos-arcade.com
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, cnlmoore wrote:

    > Any pictures of how you set up the inside of your cabinet for Clay's kit?
    > The multi jamma is next on my project list and I'm looking for layout ideas.
    >
    > Chris M

    Nope, but mine is really half-assed, I still need to build a more
    permanent rack for the boards. I threw mine together in about 10 minutes
    for a party and haven't ever permanently set it up. -dan

Classifieds Games Video Hot Deals