Problems with Netgear MR814 behind Linksys BEFSR41

Hi,

I have the following configuration that I can't get to work 100%...

Cable Modem connected to Linksys wired router (BEFSR41). 2 wired
computers and the Netgear MR814 connected to the Linksys. 1 computer
wired to the Netgear and 2 computers connected wirelessly to the
Netgear. Very bad ascii picture below:

Modem --> Linksys
|---> Comp#1
|---> Comp#2
|---> Netgear
|---> Comp#3
|---> Comp#4
|---> Comp#5

I can access the internet through all computers, computers 1 & 2 can
talk together. Computers 3-5 can talk, BUT....

Computers 1-2 can't see to computers 3-5 and vice versa.

According to wisdom derived through hours and hours of googling, I've
turned off DHCP in the netgear and let the linksys handle it (and that
works). I've connected the netgear to the linksys by using a lan port
on the linksys and a lan port on the netgear (I've used both a straight
cable and a crossover for this connection). I've tried fiddling with
static routes on the netgear without any luck.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get computers hanging off the
linksys to even see computers hanging off the netgear.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Dupcak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following configuration that I can't get to work 100%...
>
> Cable Modem connected to Linksys wired router (BEFSR41). 2 wired
> computers and the Netgear MR814 connected to the Linksys. 1 computer
> wired to the Netgear and 2 computers connected wirelessly to the
> Netgear. Very bad ascii picture below:
>

> Modem --> Linksys
> |---> Comp#1
> |---> Comp#2
> |---> Netgear
> |---> Comp#3
> |---> Comp#4
> |---> Comp#5
>
> I can access the internet through all computers, computers 1 & 2 can
> talk together. Computers 3-5 can talk, BUT....
>
> Computers 1-2 can't see to computers 3-5 and vice versa.
>
> According to wisdom derived through hours and hours of googling, I've
> turned off DHCP in the netgear and let the linksys handle it (and that
> works). I've connected the netgear to the linksys by using a lan port
> on the linksys and a lan port on the netgear (I've used both a
> straight cable and a crossover for this connection). I've tried
> fiddling with static routes on the netgear without any luck.
>
> No matter what I do, I can't seem to get computers hanging off the
> linksys to even see computers hanging off the netgear.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

In theory, if everything at the netgear is connected via the switched
ports, all of the computers should be on the same IP address block
assigned by the Linksys router, especially if you have the netgear's
DHCP turned off. If from a command prompt, type ipconfig /all, what IP
addresses are assigned to the computers? Are they all on the same block
192.168.X.Y where Y is the only part changing?

Rob,

You say you turned off DHCP. That should be the DHCP Server for the LAN
that was turned off. Turning off the DHCP Client for the WAN port won't
help.

You say that the Linksys is assigning address to clients 3, 4, and 5. Are
the addresses in the same subnet as clients 1 & 2 (as Quaoar asked), or are
client 3-5 getting addresses in the 169.254.x.y subnet (indicating a failure
to get an address from a DHCP server)?

When you say that the computers can't see each other, what test are you
using? PINGs? MS Networking? Do you get the same result whether you PING
comp#1 from comp#3 or PING comp#3 from comp#1? (a different result here is
an effect of running a second NAT).

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

> Rob Dupcak wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the following configuration that I can't get to work 100%...
> >
> > Cable Modem connected to Linksys wired router (BEFSR41). 2 wired
> > computers and the Netgear MR814 connected to the Linksys. 1 computer
> > wired to the Netgear and 2 computers connected wirelessly to the
> > Netgear. Very bad ascii picture below:
> >

> > Modem --> Linksys
> > |---> Comp#1
> > |---> Comp#2
> > |---> Netgear
> > |---> Comp#3
> > |---> Comp#4
> > |---> Comp#5
> >
> > I can access the internet through all computers, computers 1 & 2 can
> > talk together. Computers 3-5 can talk, BUT....
> >
> > Computers 1-2 can't see to computers 3-5 and vice versa.
> >
> > According to wisdom derived through hours and hours of googling, I've
> > turned off DHCP in the netgear and let the linksys handle it (and that
> > works). I've connected the netgear to the linksys by using a lan port
> > on the linksys and a lan port on the netgear (I've used both a
> > straight cable and a crossover for this connection). I've tried
> > fiddling with static routes on the netgear without any luck.
> >
> > No matter what I do, I can't seem to get computers hanging off the
> > linksys to even see computers hanging off the netgear.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rob
>
> In theory, if everything at the netgear is connected via the switched
> ports, all of the computers should be on the same IP address block
> assigned by the Linksys router, especially if you have the netgear's
> DHCP turned off. If from a command prompt, type ipconfig /all, what IP
> addresses are assigned to the computers? Are they all on the same block
> 192.168.X.Y where Y is the only part changing?

Sorry... I should have been more specific...

Everything is in the same subnet (Linksys is assigning 192.168.1.x) to
all clients behind the netgear box.

I've only turned off the DHCP server capabilities of the Netgear.

I'm trying to ping the various computers to test for communication.

pings from #1 to #3 and #3 to #1 all time out (replace #1 with
anything haning off the linksys and replace #3 with anything hanging
off the netgear) So this is an equal opportunity problem :)

Some more specifics... I've assigned a static IP to the netgear and
that IP is visible (ping and web based configuration) from all
computers. The linksys is also visible from both all computers.

Actually, only the computers #4 and #5 are getting IP's assigned
dynamically, computers #1-#3 are all static.

- Rob

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message news:<hgVpc.22842$MH.8178312@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> Rob,
>
> You say you turned off DHCP. That should be the DHCP Server for the LAN
> that was turned off. Turning off the DHCP Client for the WAN port won't
> help.
>
> You say that the Linksys is assigning address to clients 3, 4, and 5. Are
> the addresses in the same subnet as clients 1 & 2 (as Quaoar asked), or are
> client 3-5 getting addresses in the 169.254.x.y subnet (indicating a failure
> to get an address from a DHCP server)?
>
> When you say that the computers can't see each other, what test are you
> using? PINGs? MS Networking? Do you get the same result whether you PING
> comp#1 from comp#3 or PING comp#3 from comp#1? (a different result here is
> an effect of running a second NAT).
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

> > Rob Dupcak wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have the following configuration that I can't get to work 100%...
> > >
> > > Cable Modem connected to Linksys wired router (BEFSR41). 2 wired
> > > computers and the Netgear MR814 connected to the Linksys. 1 computer
> > > wired to the Netgear and 2 computers connected wirelessly to the
> > > Netgear. Very bad ascii picture below:
> > >

> > > Modem --> Linksys
> > > |---> Comp#1
> > > |---> Comp#2
> > > |---> Netgear
> > > |---> Comp#3
> > > |---> Comp#4
> > > |---> Comp#5
> > >
> > > I can access the internet through all computers, computers 1 & 2 can
> > > talk together. Computers 3-5 can talk, BUT....
> > >
> > > Computers 1-2 can't see to computers 3-5 and vice versa.
> > >
> > > According to wisdom derived through hours and hours of googling, I've
> > > turned off DHCP in the netgear and let the linksys handle it (and that
> > > works). I've connected the netgear to the linksys by using a lan port
> > > on the linksys and a lan port on the netgear (I've used both a
> > > straight cable and a crossover for this connection). I've tried
> > > fiddling with static routes on the netgear without any luck.
> > >
> > > No matter what I do, I can't seem to get computers hanging off the
> > > linksys to even see computers hanging off the netgear.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Rob
> >
> > In theory, if everything at the netgear is connected via the switched
> > ports, all of the computers should be on the same IP address block
> > assigned by the Linksys router, especially if you have the netgear's
> > DHCP turned off. If from a command prompt, type ipconfig /all, what IP
> > addresses are assigned to the computers? Are they all on the same block
> > 192.168.X.Y where Y is the only part changing?

Hactar

In article <40a79444$0$3030$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>,
Rob Dupcak <rob.dupcak@_amd_.com> wrote:
> I have the following configuration that I can't get to work 100%...
>
> Cable Modem connected to Linksys wired router (BEFSR41). 2 wired
> computers and the Netgear MR814 connected to the Linksys. 1 computer
> wired to the Netgear and 2 computers connected wirelessly to the
> Netgear. Very bad ascii picture below:
>

> Modem --> Linksys
> |---> Comp#1
> |---> Comp#2
> |---> Netgear
> |---> Comp#3
> |---> Comp#4
> |---> Comp#5

Why not do something like this:

Modem -> router (use whichever you want)
|---> Comp#1
|---> Comp#2
|---> Comp#3
|---> Comp#4
|---> Comp#4

where computers #4 and #5 are connected wirelessly?

> According to wisdom derived through hours and hours of googling, I've
> turned off DHCP in the netgear and let the linksys handle it (and that
> works).

Does the Netgear get an address for its uplink port? Who assigns it?

> I've connected the netgear to the linksys by using a lan port
> on the linksys and a lan port on the netgear (I've used both a straight
> cable and a crossover for this connection). I've tried fiddling with
> static routes on the netgear without any luck.

The Netgear has auto-MDX (I think it's called that... it automatically
detects and corrects reverse polarity on its ethernet ports), so it won't
matter which type of cable you use. There's no good reason I can think of
not to use the Netgear's WAN port, though.

> No matter what I do, I can't seem to get computers hanging off the
> linksys to even see computers hanging off the netgear.

Maybe some deal with number_of_hops > 1?

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
and he who dares not is a slave. -Sir William Drummond

TRENDING THREADS