DISKPART - what drive - Command Prompt?

Hi

Following very helpful advice from this group
I THINK I need to use DISKPART to reinstall a
partition on a slave drive, so that I can format it.

When I format the drive it ends up saying;
'unable to format this drive'

In Disk Mananagment it is showing as;

Layout = Partition
Type = Basic
File System = (nothing is shown)
Status = Healthy (Active)
Capacity = 37.31GB
Free Space = 37.31GB
% Free = 100%
Fault Tolerance = No
Overhead = 0%

My question;

I need help with Command Prompt.

From C\Documents and settings\Stephen>

I have typed the following;

DISKPART (enter)
G: (enter)

I then get a list of options - at this point am I
dealing with DISK C or DISK G ??

I can't remember any DOS - but shouldn't I change
the DIR to 'G' before entering DISKPART.

If so how?

As you can see I'm not totally sure, and I do not
want to cock up my main C drive.

Thanks a lot, Stephen.
1 answer Last reply
More about diskpart drive command prompt

    go to start/run, and type:

    HH ms-its:%windir%\Help\bootcons.chm::/bootcons_diskpart.htm

    You are probably trying to partition a drive with the system installed on it.

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Stephen" <stephen@knight04july.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23bmERvFmFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Hi
    >
    > Following very helpful advice from this group
    > I THINK I need to use DISKPART to reinstall a
    > partition on a slave drive, so that I can format it.
    >
    > When I format the drive it ends up saying;
    > 'unable to format this drive'
    >
    > In Disk Mananagment it is showing as;
    >
    > Layout = Partition
    > Type = Basic
    > File System = (nothing is shown)
    > Status = Healthy (Active)
    > Capacity = 37.31GB
    > Free Space = 37.31GB
    > % Free = 100%
    > Fault Tolerance = No
    > Overhead = 0%
    >
    > My question;
    >
    > I need help with Command Prompt.
    >
    > From C\Documents and settings\Stephen>
    >
    > I have typed the following;
    > DISKPART (enter)
    > G: (enter)
    >
    > I then get a list of options - at this point am I
    > dealing with DISK C or DISK G ??
    >
    > I can't remember any DOS - but shouldn't I change
    > the DIR to 'G' before entering DISKPART.
    >
    > If so how?
    >
    > As you can see I'm not totally sure, and I do not
    > want to cock up my main C drive.
    >
    > Any help with this would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks a lot, Stephen.

Command Prompt Format Windows XP