DISKPART - what drive - Command Prompt?

August 3, 2005 11:47:04 PM

Hi

Following very helpful advice from this group
I THINK I need to use DISKPART to reinstall a
partition on a slave drive, so that I can format it.

When I format the drive it ends up saying;
'unable to format this drive'

In Disk Mananagment it is showing as;

Layout = Partition
Type = Basic
File System = (nothing is shown)
Status = Healthy (Active)
Capacity = 37.31GB
Free Space = 37.31GB
% Free = 100%
Fault Tolerance = No
Overhead = 0%

My question;

I need help with Command Prompt.

From C\Documents and settings\Stephen>

I have typed the following;

DISKPART (enter)
G: (enter)

I then get a list of options - at this point am I
dealing with DISK C or DISK G ??

I can't remember any DOS - but shouldn't I change
the DIR to 'G' before entering DISKPART.

If so how?

As you can see I'm not totally sure, and I do not
want to cock up my main C drive.

Thanks a lot, Stephen.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:47:05 PM

go to start/run, and type:

HH ms-its:%windir%\Help\bootcons.chm::/bootcons_diskpart.htm

You are probably trying to partition a drive with the system installed on it.

--
Mark L. Ferguson

!