what do you guys think of an "un-official" acf webring ?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.freeware.games,alt.comp.freeware.discussion (More info?)

i tried posting this thru teranews (which is starting to piss me off
however since its basically free i'm not allowed to complain) but
since it didn't post so i am trying through google so i apologize if
it is a double post on some of your servers.

http://q.webring.com/hub?ring=acfwebring

i recieved flames for this before and am prepared to recieve flames
for this once again. i created this webring more or less out of
frustration last winter. with reference to the recent endless tit for
tat spat regarding the pricelessware website i thought now would be a
good time to get everyone's opinions (and flames) on this idea.

<SNIP>
Join this webring to help promote freeware and to help freeware
authors promote their websites and wares for any system; any make; any
model; any genre...any sites that do not place the navigation code on
a page that lists freeware WILL BE deleted without question and
without delay - if you are unsure about what defines freeware then
please email me or visit the acf newsgroup.
<SNIP>

that's the first simple rule to joining the acf webring. *BUT* before
you flame me, let me continue: Although I do not agree with either
the acf faq (or pricelessware but its there so thats off topic for
this discussion) and since the acf faq applies to software and not
websites, I *CAN* create a link to both the "official" acf faq and the
acf anti faq in submission emails and as well create a sub set of both
faq's that would actually apply to the webring itself (or to freeware
websites in general) since the acf faq really applies to software and
not to websites. But what other rules outside the acf faq can we
actually apply to websites that claim to have freeware ? Do I even
"dare" create a link to *ONE* or both of the pricelessware websites ?
Any freeware authors or freeware junkies here want to add their
websites ?

this is one way for freeware junkies and freeware authors to actually
interact with each other (outside acf and definately outside the
priclessware clique but thats a topic for another time) but its also a
way for freeware authors to promote their freeware and for little
known freeware or previously unmentioned freeware to get a little free
publicity (no matter how i wrote that it still doesn't sound right so
i am claiming it as pun intended) outside acf and outside
pricelessware (those that didn't make the cut or even get mentioned
for a vote) but still freeware (as defined by whom?).

this is *NOT* an official vote because i've already setup the webring
a long time ago; but i am seeking comments and suggestions (and, yes,
flames).

i am in the process of weeding out websites that at least do not
respect the first simple rule. we can discuss the finer details of
the ring in alt.comp.freeware discussion at a later date or in the
discussion board located on the webring hub.

http://q.webring.com/hub?ring=acfwebring

what does everyone think ?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.freeware.games,alt.comp.freeware.discussion (More info?)

In news:de4e2e00.0407300939.6dd956c0@posting.google.com,
* ProteanThread * posted:
> http://q.webring.com/hub?ring=acfwebring
>
> what does everyone think ?

In view all the others http://tinyurl.com/6ypqm , I think it's a waste
of time.
I also think Webring is the last place I'd use to find anything on the
web.

DanlK, FYI Services
www.FYIS.org
Visit our re-opened eBay store @ http://tinyurl.com/35wgv !
Don't forget to put this html code on your web page:
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript
src="http://www.georgewbush.com/WStuff/BPForm.aspx">
</SCRIPT>

Garrett

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.freeware.games,alt.comp.freeware.discussion (More info?)

* ProteanThread * wrote:

[snip]

> http://q.webring.com/hub?ring=acfwebring
>
> what does everyone think ?

There is already several freeware web rings out there. Would it not be
better to just hook up with one of those instead of starting a new web
ring? Or, is this one just intended for users of ACF?

-Garrett

"Garrett" <justsayno@tospam.net> wrote in message
> * ProteanThread * wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > http://q.webring.com/hub?ring=acfwebring
> >
> > what does everyone think ?
>
> There is already several freeware web rings out there. Would it not be
> better to just hook up with one of those instead of starting a new web
> ring? Or, is this one just intended for users of ACF?
>
> -Garrett

like i said, i started it out of "frustration" and simply to make a point,
but thought it might be used to compliment acf newsgroup.

os65000@yahoo.com (* ProteanThread *) wrote:
> [...]
>way for freeware authors to promote their freeware and for little
>known freeware or previously unmentioned freeware to get a little free
>publicity (no matter how i wrote that it still doesn't sound right so
>i am claiming it as pun intended) outside acf and outside
>pricelessware (those that didn't make the cut or even get mentioned
>for a vote) but still freeware (as defined by whom?).
>
>this is *NOT* an official vote because i've already setup the webring
>a long time ago; but i am seeking comments and suggestions (and, yes,
>flames).
>
>i am in the process of weeding out websites that at least do not
>respect the first simple rule. we can discuss the finer details of
>the ring in alt.comp.freeware discussion at a later date or in the
>discussion board located on the webring hub.

Call it official if you want. There is no real official authority to
comlpain about it.
--
.-'`-.
/ | | \
/ | | \
|___|_|__ |
||<o>| <o>`|
|| J_ )|
`|`-'__`-'|/
| `--' |
.-| |_
.-' \ / | |`-.
.-' `. /| | \
/ ````' | | \
|_____ | | L
.-' ___ `-. F F | | ||`-.___
.'.-' | `-. `. J J / | || _.>
/ /| | |`. \ | | |/ | ||_.-'
/ / | | | `. `. F F | |==============================
J / | | | \ L J J | | `:::::::. `:::::::.
FJ | | | |L J/ / | \ :::::::. :::::::\
J |() | () | () | () | J L/ | | ::::::: :::::::L
| F | .-'_ \ | | LJ | / L :::::::: :::::::J
| L | / \\ | | | L | | :::::::: ::::::::L
| L || ):|| | | | /| L :::::::: ::::::::|
J | ||:._.'::|| | | |----' | | :::::::: ::::::::| .---.
J | |J:::::::|| | | | _/\ | :::::::: ::::::::| /(@ o`.
LJ | \:::::/ | | | |---'\ | | :::::::: ::::::::| | /^^^
J L | `-:-' | | | F | \ | J :::::::: ::::::::| \ . \vvv
LJ()| () | () | () | F F | \ \--._L :::::::: ::::::::| \ `--'
J \ | | | | J J \ | | :::::::: ::::::::| \ `.
\ \| | | | / / | | | :::::::: ::::::::| L \
\ \ | | |/ /| | | .-'| :::::::: ::::::::| | \
`.`. | | .'.' | | |/ /`L :::::::: ::::::::| | L
| `.`-.____|.-'.-' | | | <`. \ :::::::: ::::::::| | |
| | `-.______.-' | \| |_`::\ `. :::::::: ::::::::| F |
| J\ | | | | /: \::. \:::::::: ::::::::F / |
| L\|--| | _.--|:: `::\ `.:::::: .:::::::J / F
J J |\\|-.____ |__.-' |: \::. \:::: ::::::::F .' J
L \| >|| `--' J |' .`::\ `.:' .::::::::/ .' F
J |//JJ | L |---. .--\::. \---. .---. <---< J
L |< |J |\=/| ( _ \=/ _ `::\ `. \=/ _ \=/ _ \ /
J |\\|J | | / )_) | (_) \::. \ | (_) | (_) | /
\ |--|J |//\\ / //\ //`::\ `./\ //\ / .'
\| |L ` )/ )` `' '|`---// `---// `\::. \ `---// `---' .'
VK________| L_\ ' /___/ ' | |___//______//_____`::\ |___//_________.'_________
F F J`` -'| | | | | \:_|
`-' | "" | J ` |
| | L | |\ |\ /| /| |\ /|
| | \ | | \ | \ // // | \ || |\
J | `. | ||\\ ||\\ // // ||\\ || ||
L F )`---\ || >> || \\ / | << || \\ || ||
| J / `. ||// || || //|| \\ || || || ||
J J ( `-. |// | \ || |/ || \\ | \ || || ||
`-.__/ `---. `. |<< ||\\|| || >> ||\\|| || ||
| J `. ) ||\\ || \ | || // || \ | || ||
/ | `-----' || >> || || || // || || \\ ||
/ F ||// || || || << || || \\||
J J | / |/ || |/ \\ |/ || \ |
J | |/ \| \| \| \|
`-.-' K I N G O F T H E M O N S T E R S

* ProteanThread * wrote:

> i tried posting this thru teranews (which is starting to piss me off
> however since its basically free i'm not allowed to complain) but
> since it didn't post so i am trying through google so i apologize if
> it is a double post on some of your servers.

You are forgiven fore you have small human beings afoot. :)

> <SNIP>
> Join this webring to help promote freeware and to help freeware
> authors promote their websites and wares for any system; any make; any
> model; any genre...any sites that do not place the navigation code on
> a page that lists freeware WILL BE deleted without question and
> without delay - if you are unsure about what defines freeware then
> please email me or visit the acf newsgroup.
> <SNIP>

Not limiting it to any genre or system is particurlarly intriuging.

> that's the first simple rule to joining the acf webring. *BUT* before
> you flame me, let me continue: Although I do not agree with either
> the acf faq (or pricelessware but its there so thats off topic for
> this discussion) and since the acf faq applies to software and not
> websites, I *CAN* create a link to both the "official" acf faq and the
> acf anti faq in submission emails and as well create a sub set of both
> faq's that would actually apply to the webring itself (or to freeware
> websites in general) since the acf faq really applies to software and
> not to websites. But what other rules outside the acf faq can we
> actually apply to websites that claim to have freeware ? Do I even
> "dare" create a link to *ONE* or both of the pricelessware websites ?
> Any freeware authors or freeware junkies here want to add their
> websites ?
>
> this is one way for freeware junkies and freeware authors to actually
> interact with each other (outside acf and definately outside the
> priclessware clique but thats a topic for another time) but its also a
> way for freeware authors to promote their freeware and for little
> known freeware or previously unmentioned freeware to get a little free
> publicity (no matter how i wrote that it still doesn't sound right so
> i am claiming it as pun intended) outside acf and outside
> pricelessware (those that didn't make the cut or even get mentioned
> for a vote) but still freeware (as defined by whom?).
>
> this is *NOT* an official vote because i've already setup the webring
> a long time ago; but i am seeking comments and suggestions (and, yes,
> flames).
>
> i am in the process of weeding out websites that at least do not
> respect the first simple rule. we can discuss the finer details of
> the ring in alt.comp.freeware discussion at a later date or in the
> discussion board located on the webring hub.
>
> http://q.webring.com/hub?ring=acfwebring
>
> what does everyone think ?
No flames here. I like the idea and await the discussion.

--
°¿°
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/