3mile connection without line of sight

Hi,

I need to connect 2 or more buildings for the purpose of internet connection
sharing and file exchange. they are within 3 miles of each other. snag is,
they are in the mountains, and there is no line of sight.

is this a possibility using wireless products ? at a sensible price ?

Many Thanks,
Kev

In article <hVNpc.147$eP6.1@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net>,
The Hat <beavis@mistral.co.uk> wrote:
:I need to connect 2 or more buildings for the purpose of internet connection
:sharing and file exchange. they are within 3 miles of each other. snag is,
:they are in the mountains, and there is no line of sight.

:is this a possibility using wireless products ? at a sensible price ?

You probably can't do it with 802.11a/b/g without really *tall* masts,
unless the laws of that location permit a few watts EIRP. But it's hard
for us to give an estimate based on the information you have
provided -- is there just a little bit of signal shadowing? Do
the sites literally have a mountain between them?

Do get around lack of line of sight, you either need a very
high signal level (possibly hundreds of watts if you are trying
to beam through solid rock), or you need to use a different
frequency band that is more permiable to radio (much lower frequencies),
or you need to clear the obstacles so the antenna do have LOS,
or you need to use reflectors or repeaters to play snooker with the
signa to get it where you want. Or you need to tear down the obstacles.
Or use a satellite based service. Or lay wires or fibres.

--
Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow.
That's my point.

DS

"The Hat" <beavis@mistral.co.uk> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I need to connect 2 or more buildings for the purpose of internet
> connection sharing and file exchange. they are within 3 miles of each
> other. snag is, they are in the mountains, and there is no line of
> sight.
>
> is this a possibility using wireless products ? at a sensible price ?
>
> Many Thanks,
> Kev

SOMETIMES, with high-gain directioanl antenna's, for short range, you can
do it, most times not.

You don't provide enough information to get a good answer. You say
there's no line-of-sight, but is that from the ground level at both ends
? From roof to roof ? What we used to do is have a tiny camera on a 20
foot mast so we could see what the antenna would actually 'see'.

If you have lat and long for the location's, you could do a prop study.

Wow!!!! I'm really glad you asked this question.....I did a quick search
and found a free rf prop study software. It appears to run on top of M$
Mappoint, now if the author.........

http://www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html , I can't believe this is free...

Regards,

DS

thanks for your input:

ok, were talking in rural spain, there is n o line of sight from roof to
roof, i am not there at the moment, so cant confirm if there is literally a
mountain in the way, but have the feeling that there probably is. if you
imagine a big windy canyon, with 2 buildings 3 miles apart....... ;)

regarding the law, not really sure if there is a power limit, but i guess i
dont wanna interfere with peoples radios, tv's or mobile phones, etc.

repeaters / reflectors are a bit of a no go really, and i dont have long /
lat info.

will try and get a little more information about the landscape,

thanks,

Kev

"DS" <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> wrote in message
> "The Hat" <beavis@mistral.co.uk> wrote in
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to connect 2 or more buildings for the purpose of internet
> > connection sharing and file exchange. they are within 3 miles of each
> > other. snag is, they are in the mountains, and there is no line of
> > sight.
> >
> > is this a possibility using wireless products ? at a sensible price ?
> >
> > Many Thanks,
> > Kev
> >

> SOMETIMES, with high-gain directioanl antenna's, for short range, you can
> do it, most times not.
>
> You don't provide enough information to get a good answer. You say
> there's no line-of-sight, but is that from the ground level at both ends
> ? From roof to roof ? What we used to do is have a tiny camera on a 20
> foot mast so we could see what the antenna would actually 'see'.
>
> If you have lat and long for the location's, you could do a prop study.
>
> Wow!!!! I'm really glad you asked this question.....I did a quick search
> and found a free rf prop study software. It appears to run on top of M$
> Mappoint, now if the author.........
>
> http://www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html , I can't believe this is free...
>

> Regards,
>
> DS

The Hat <beavis@mistral.co.uk> wrote:
> I need to connect 2 or more buildings for the purpose of internet connection
> sharing and file exchange. they are within 3 miles of each other. snag is,
> they are in the mountains, and there is no line of sight.

Some claim that passive redirectors work.

Part one
Part two